Quantcast

Modern technology?

Jul 28, 2003
Eat, ME
OK, 2 gripes ( and these aren't issues with oldsters):
1.What's up with people who still think that because they're talking to someone long distance they have to shout to be heard? I just listened to a co-worker talking to someone for about 15 minutes. Everyone in the offices heard her. I even had my door closed.

2. People who still have no clue how to use their ATM cards to buy something. Come on, it isn't new technology. Get with the program or use cash.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

The Cheese

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Apparently, we talk loudly into cell phones because there's no side tone, unlike a land line or a VHF radio. Something to do with the requirements of the phone...then again, how hard could it be? I'm sure one of the cell-phone people will fill us in on the details.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
MikeD said:
Apparently, we talk loudly into cell phones because there's no side tone, unlike a land line or a VHF radio. Something to do with the requirements of the phone...then again, how hard could it be? I'm sure one of the cell-phone people will fill us in on the details.

I dont have a cell phone, never! I couldnt think of anything more annoying other than my posts. But hey I try really hard Loco :eviltongu

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
mack said:
I dont have a cell phone, never! I couldnt think of anything more annoying other than my posts. But hey I try really hard Loco :eviltongu
Huh? Didn't direct anything at you...and I was serious. Just recalling a radio article I heard on "cell yell," in which an expert attributed the phenomenon to the lack of a side tone on cells.

Side tone is the slight bit of your own voice you hear through the phone's speaker as you talk.

MD

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
i have to at work. the people i sell things too are deaf and old. and most the time stupid

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
it's also my cash/check card. before i embraced the Visa cash/check card technology, it sat on my desk, while i thought it was only good at ATMs (i.e. never got used). my first 3yrs here at school, i paid for everything with checks or cash.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
MikeD said:
Huh? Didn't direct anything at you...and I was serious. Just recalling a radio article I heard on "cell yell," in which an expert attributed the phenomenon to the lack of a side tone on cells.

Side tone is the slight bit of your own voice you hear through the phone's speaker as you talk.

MD
well, sometimes, all I hear in my cell phone is me talking.... about 2 seconds delayed. Whats that called?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
the Inbred said:
it's also my cash/check card. before i embraced the Visa cash/check card technology, it sat on my desk, while i thought it was only good at ATMs (i.e. never got used). my first 3yrs here at school, i paid for everything with checks or cash.
:stupid:

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I read an article online (nytimes.com?) the other day about cell phone jammers. Aside from keeping people from talking too loud, at least one guy interviewed from the article took it too the next level just to have some fun. It's a shame they're banned in the US.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
BigMike said:
well, sometimes, all I hear in my cell phone is me talking.... about 2 seconds delayed. Whats that called?
Ugh, I hate that...I've always heard people call it an echo.

No side-tone is a wierd thing, though...I sometimes used to lose side tone on the VHF radios I used, and it was like I suddenly went deaf.

MD

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i just used my ATM for an ice scraper on the windshield of the flatbed worktruck this morning. So versatile these modern conveniences.....

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
SuzyCreamcheese said:
2. People who still have no clue how to use their ATM cards to buy something. Come on, it isn't new technology. Get with the program or use cash.
No, bonewipes that still write checks. The cafeteria at work takes checks and there is NOTHING more annoying in life than some idiotic secretary holiding up the line to write a check for $1.35.

We have lives you know. That should be a punishable offense.

Worse yet, when you're at the grocery store and AFTER they ring up the total...she....reaches....into.....her.....purse....and says "do you take checks"?

The time to ask that was 32 items ago. And at this point, if you MUST write a check, have the goddamn thing filled out. Oh, and your driver's license out, becuase that's another 5 minute excursion.

Men, if you write a lot of checks, ask your husband to give you a little spending money. You're all pansies.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Brian HCM#1 said:
I can't live without my ATM/CC. Its the best ever!!!!!!
Werd! I've gone days without any cash in my wallet at all... My record is about a week... I track my expenses better with the debit card.

U-Scan-It check-outs + not having to deal with idiotic checkout workers = :love:

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Ian F said:
U-Scan-It check-outs + not having to deal with idiotic checkout workers = :love:
Yeah...until you get behind some newbie 'tard who, upon seeing longer lines at the manned checkouts, decides today will be the day he plunges into a brave new world and learns how to operate the U-Scan-It. Seriously, the Home Depot in Frederick has to assign a live body to the two U-Scan-It checkouts just to help 'em off the short bus. One more creative way to understaff a retail establishment. :rolleyes:

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
johnbryanpeters said:
OK, let us now complain about the azzoles buying or turning in lottery tickets.

They should be forced to wait until real customers have been served. :mumble:
No shiite! I love being in a hurry, but in order to save $.05/gal. by paying cash, I go in to pay...only to have some cretin waylay the cashier with a kabuki theater fan-worth of lottery tickets or this snivelling character, who I'm sure you will recognize:

"...no, not the regulars...the 100s...no, not the light 100s, the REGULAR 100s...just to the left there...no, down one and one to the right two...YES- THOSE...I'll take two packs and six free books for matches." :rolleyes:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
How about this stupidity...

You call a credit card/cable/telephone company and they ask for all sorts of account questions in the automated system only to have to talk to an operator who asks for all that info AGAIN?!

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
llkoolkeg said:
"...no, not the regulars...the 100s...no, not the light 100s, the REGULAR 100s...just to the left there...no, down one and one to the right two...YES- THOSE...I'll take two packs and six free books for matches." :rolleyes:
sounds more like an incapable cashier.