Quantcast

Mods to my truck - New Bike Rack

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
I have a 2005 Toyota Tundra and I had a Fiberglass Tonneau cover installed today with Keyless entry off the remote control (Lock/Unlock) of the truck.
After that I had a new Thule Base Rack and 4 Bike Side arm trays installed for DH & Freeride Bikes. Geez, I about choked when they told me what the final cost was. $1094.00 Installed? I'm still having a hard time choking that one down. Anyone else suprised on what they can charge for these racks?

Pic of Toyota Tundra

I was seriously surprised. I figured about $700.00-$800.00 but almost $1100.00 seems pretty steep.
I thought I had figured it out on the company website of whom I bought it from, but I didnt figure in all of the "extras" you need. Locks and what not.

Yeah I know :nopity:

Go easy on me :mumble:

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
I just put a hitch and T2 for 2 bikes on the back of my suv, cost about 460. Sucks about the price, but you can't beat the convenience. Nice truck by the way. :thumb:

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
That's a pretty slick setup you've got there! I have to agree, though, that is quite expensive for a rack system.

I have the poor grad student version of your setup which still cost me a pretty penny. The camper shell was used, about $500. The yakima rack was all-together about $600. I can carry two bikes and that Thule cargo carrier thing which is currently suspended from the ceiling, or a kayak (also suspended but not pictured).

Boys and their toys, right?

Favorite sticker? "I wish my girlfriend was as dirty as my bike"

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I never understood the tray rack on the pickup. If you had gone with a hitch rack, you would have saved a bunch of $$ and you would get better mileage to boot. It would also make access to your gear in the bed much easier.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
buildyourown said:
I never understood the tray rack on the pickup. If you had gone with a hitch rack, you would have saved a bunch of $$ and you would get better mileage to boot. It would also make access to your gear in the bed much easier.
It's actually more complicated than that, but I won't explain because it will take too long. The Tonneau Cover keeps gear and anything else dry and when pulling a camper trailer, the Hitch rack is a moot point. That's why I didn't go with a Hitch Rack. Which, I coincedently already own as well. One tray is broken and cannot be repaired. I think the Tray rack method at this point is a much better option.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
bpatterson6 said:
when pulling a camper trailer, the Hitch rack is a moot point.

ok, I can see your point if you're pulling a trailer. What's wrong with just a regular hightop canopy? Bikes and gear stay hidden and dry, and they are handy for camping if you're running solo.
Granted, they are a little less secure, but I wouldn't trust a cover in a trail head parking lot either.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
merrrrjig said:
you should of gotten yakima rack, much better and cheaper, and they probably charged you like $200 to install it
The new Thule that he got is much better than the Yak version. When Thule bought Sportworks, they changed the extrusion of the tray and gave it a hollow cross section. I was depressed when I saw how much more secure the new Thule was compared to my new Yak. When it comes to trays, go Thule.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
my yakimas stood up to my needs, 2 door civic with a big hit and M3, M3 on a cobra, and big hit on the old lockjaw, bars spaced very little because of 2 door going 110 down the freeway. and why get a truck if you make it not a truck>?

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
merrrrjig said:
my yakimas stood up to my needs, 2 door civic with a big hit and M3, M3 on a cobra, and big hit on the old lockjaw, bars spaced very little because of 2 door going 110 down the freeway. and why get a truck if you make it not a truck>?

You can't pull trailers in a honda dude....Read his posts