Quantcast

Mogwai, last night (pics)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Mogwai and Torche, Avalon

Torche are a Miami Beach 4 piece you could tell that had some Slayer and Melvins permanently welded into their tour van cd player...fun music to rock out too; kinda like cock rock in the metal world. you could definitely tell they were having a good time; this is a fairly crappy pic and i got someone's head a little bit, but it's pretty indicative:

here's the singer barking one out:

unfortunately for us, we took my wife's minvan due to the torrential rains, afraid that my civic might come into some high water situations. parking wasn't a problem (thank god the sox game was cancelled), but our ear plugs are in my car and i forgot to grab 'em...torn and rolled bar napkins were pressed into service, and definitely saved my ears from a battering.

after Torche were done (a little goes along way for me, but overall i'd give ''em 3 out of 5 stars for effort), we pressed our way up to the front, just one person in front of us and the stage. while that meant i'd get little to no heads in the way, my 85mm lens i'd rented would be too long for most single player shots, nevermind stage shots. my other camera issues are documented on the previous page. :roll:

after making us wait for 45 minutes (it was funny to see an old roadie wearing a Mr Beast hoodie; i could half believe it was his real name), mogwai strolled out triumphantly, wearing matching lime-green adidas tracksuit jackets, the Young Team emblem embroidered on the right breast. immediately launching into "Hunted By A Freak", their instrumental prowess was unleashed, no stopping it. this did feature a vocal (albeit heavily treated), as the new record doesn't shy away from singing like most of their back catalog. change is good; they'd done all they could from the blueprint of _Young Team_ imo and have moved onto to other fertile ground. the show somehow lacked the spark of the Dublin '03 show i saw (it was ****ing amazing, truly), maybe because i spent a quarter of it peering through a viewfinder. hilary did corroborate my instincts, however. the last two songs of the regular set were absolutely incendiary though..."friend of the night" into "glasgow megasnake" was blinding...in GMS i felt like i was in the middle of a jet engine...truly a powerful moment. i high-fived the guy standing behind me.

the encore couldn't match that, esp since "my father my king" nor "christmas steps" were trotted out for flaying, although it's hard to argue w/ helicon pt 1 and 2. anyway, on to the pics:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the strobe was playing absolute havoc w/ both focus and metering, so i set the exposure manually, put the lens in MF, and shot a whole bunch in burst mode...that's how i got that decent capture you mentioned).

yeah, the 1st one i got some dude's head in the lower left corner. the problem of being short.

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
You lucky, LUCKY, LUCKY sob. Are they keeping the toned down feeling of the new album on tour, or are they still rocking out as in days gone by? I have always wanted to see Mogwai, but it hasn't happened yet.

You do have good taste in music. Know anything about Against Me or the Gainsville music scene. I just heard a little bit of their stuff over the weekend and was impressed. I am a big fan of Hot Water Music, so this is a nice find. Any other recs?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
sam_little said:
You lucky, LUCKY, LUCKY sob. Are they keeping the toned down feeling of the new album on tour, or are they still rocking out as in days gone by? I have always wanted to see Mogwai, but it hasn't happened yet.
it's funny, they played about 1/2 of the new record, but the clear highpoints for me in terms of intensity were the last two from the regular set, "friend of the night" and "glasgow megasnake". hot damn was that impressive. 'you don't know jesus' and both 'helicons' were great too. i did miss "killing all the flies", and would really really love to hear them play "christmas steps" and "mogwai fear satan" but am 0 for 2 right now.

sam_little said:
You do have good taste in music. Know anything about Against Me or the Gainsville music scene. I just heard a little bit of their stuff over the weekend and was impressed. I am a big fan of Hot Water Music, so this is a nice find. Any other recs?
actually, of the stuff you mention i've not heard Against Me and while i've heard the name, i've never heard a song from Hot Water Music. i'll check 'em out.

for recommendations, there's always my Song of the Day thread, but it hops around from genre to genre pretty regularly. if you like Mogwai, you could do worse than to listen to Mono. the Red Sparowes cd is also worth getting.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stuart was pretty cooperative on that one, starting straight at me. :) that was also probably the sharpest picture, image-wise, i got all night. it's a freakin' crapshoot though...i wish i could bump my success rate up considerably.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
I know I'm old and out of touch but what is the point of playing so loud that the audience and the band need to wear earplugs? (Good pics btw)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
fluff said:
I know I'm old and out of touch but what is the point of playing so loud that the audience and the band need to wear earplugs? (Good pics btw)
the plugs stuart's got are in-ear monitors, so he can hear the mix of the rest of the band...the rest of us punters get punished by volume...not sure why 95+ dB is required from some rock shows, but i use ear plugs all the time now. i've been to a lot of shows over the last 20+ years, but wilco put all that accumulation over the top and kinda F'd up my ears at a 2002 show, and when i go to sleep i've got faint but continual ringing.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
narlus said:
the plugs stuart's got are in-ear monitors, so he can hear the mix of the rest of the band...the rest of us punters get punished by volume...not sure why 95+ dB is required from some rock shows, but i use ear plugs all the time now. i've been to a lot of shows over the last 20+ years, but wilco put all that accumulation over the top and kinda F'd up my ears at a 2002 show, and when i go to sleep i've got faint but continual ringing.
Maybe it's the pic but the singer (2nd pic) seems to be wearing plain ole earplugs.

As a sufferer of tinnitus (motorcycles and loud music) I sympathise. I also try and take better care of my ears now, too late to ever enjoy silence again but there's no point letting it get worse.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
fluff said:
Maybe it's the pic but the singer (2nd pic) seems to be wearing plain ole earplugs.
oh yeah, that was the opener, Torche. they are ear plugs. they were louder than Mogwai. sludge metal from the pits of hell; Zark would probably dig 'em. the guy is probably being proactive, which is a good thing.

fluff said:
As a sufferer of tinnitus (motorcycles and loud music) I sympathise. I also try and take better care of my ears now, too late to ever enjoy silence again but there's no point letting it get worse.
well said. you young show-goers should take heed and at least get some of these while yr ears still work.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
N8 said:
per your request:
1 - you obviously don't understand how to use PMs, do you?

2 - i just asked for a link, not to pollute the good men of mogwai w/ some ego trippers.

3 - there is no EXIF data with that photo, so it's useless (in at least one manner)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Really nice pictures. I really need to go see more shows and take more pictures myself. I just need 9 day weeks and 36 hour days.:(