Quantcast

Mojitos!!

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
the last time I drank Rum I threw up in my bed. then I got up and threw all the pukey stuff (sheets, pillow, etc) into the shower and passed out on the living room floor.

that was like, three weeks ago......:)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:
do you prefer those to caipirinhas? i get 'em confused as they seem interchangeable to me.
Can't say. First time I've had a Cuban nuclear bomb. Whoa. But oh so good. I've decided - rum bad. Must stick to beer. :dead:

Luckily *I* wasn't the one with the major problem. That was Morryjg. He's probably still hungover. :p

-S.S.-

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
narlus said:
do you prefer those to caipirinhas? i get 'em confused as they seem interchangeable to me.
is that Brazil's national cocktail? muddled with mint & lime.
We had some Brazilian cocktail in Mexico at this joint but cant remember the name....you might have cleared this up. :think:

And, YES, Mojitos are dangerous but rock. :thumb:

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
narlus said:
Not made with rum, no mint, no club soda. They're both very refreshing on a hot day. Cachaca is similar to rum, but any bartender who makes one with rum doesn't deserve a tip.

When I make them I cut a half lime into quarters, and work it with a pestle in the glass very thoroughly, then add sugar, crushed ice and cachaca, and stir as I drink, leaving the limes in the glass. Each glass gets a quartered half lime.

Some people use a shaker, but then you have to crush the limes, transfer them to the shaker and then back to the glass. Too much work since you can't make them in big batches anyway.

I like a good mojito too, but I never order them at a bar, since they always seem to come watered down and rarely with fresh mint. The ones made with mojito mix are nasty.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
fonseca said:
<snip>I like a good mojito too, but I never order them at a bar, since they always seem to come watered down and rarely with fresh mint. The ones made with mojito mix are nasty.
These were at a restaurant in Denver called Cuba Cuba and each pitcher has a $hitload of fresh mint leaves. Hell - I was eating mint leaves at times. :thumb:

I'm not sure what a proper mojito tastes like, but I don't think these were watered.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
fonseca said:
Not made with rum, no mint, no club soda.
I like a good mojito too, but I never order them at a bar, since they always seem to come watered down and rarely with fresh mint. The ones made with mojito mix are nasty.

All y'all are getting crazy talking about fresh mint in new-fangled cocktails that do not contain whiskey, given that DERBY DAY is right around the corner....

MINT JULEP
4 fresh mint sprigs
2 1/2 oz bourbon whiskey
1 tsp powdered sugar
2 tsp water

Muddle mint leaves, powdered sugar, and water in a collins glass. Fill the glass with shaved or crushed ice and add bourbon. Top with more ice and garnish with a mint sprig. Serve with a straw. :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: