Quantcast

Mojo Boxxer Carts

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
Yes I searched.

I have a 2003 boxxer race that I'd like to update/make feel a little better. The Mojo Cart seems like the way to go, however, I can't seem to find them on the Mojo website, and I don't know where to find them (or even if they're still available).

Also, I've heard that the flat crown from a 04 boxxer will fit on my stantions and allow me to use an integrated stem. Any truth to this?

Thanks folks.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Do soemthing else. The experience we had with a review cart was nothing short of absolutely terrible. It locked down quite a bit, felt terrible alla round, leaked, and was generally just terrible. This was after they replaced it at least once too. The Mojo guys seem to be excellent at what they do, but that one.....ech.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
You could probably just update the internals and get moco stuff for it...... Same size stanctions, same fittings......

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
...but not the same threads...
Yes they are. 03-08 stanchions are IDENTICAL in every way (tho the 03/04/05 WC stanchions had that useless slippery silver coating). Moco stuff bolts straight into any 03-onwards boxxer (I know because I have done it), though you will also need a new spring assembly for the left leg.

My experience with Mojo carts has not been impressive. No leaks or anything, but the performance is not at all special (in fact it's worse than MoCo), and having one adjuster for both rebound and compression is retarded.

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
So my best bet aside from getting a new fork is to get the motioncontrol cartridge from rockshox and just install that? Can someone who has experience with this let me know exactly what I need and about how much it will run me?

If I'm looking at more than 300$ I might as well just buy a manipoo and be done with it.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
The only experience I've had with one is a friend who upgraded his race with the Mojo cartridge and it felt like an coil sprung 888. It was butter.

If you can get hold of them, I'd go for it.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
So my best bet aside from getting a new fork is to get the motioncontrol cartridge from rockshox and just install that? Can someone who has experience with this let me know exactly what I need and about how much it will run me?

If I'm looking at more than 300$ I might as well just buy a manipoo and be done with it.
What you need:
Moco compression cart (get the Team/WC one as it has the floodgate adjuster and you can remove the shim stacks anyway)
Moco rebound assembly (all the same)
Spring plunger assembly for left leg
Single sided spring

I don't know how much all that will cost you in American dollars, you'd have to get onto your local shop/distributor/rockshox.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
Looking at about $235 for the rebound and compression dampers and spring, but I can't seem to find the spring plunger......

bushrider

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
NYC
Running the current boxxer team/race spring wont work.
It will up the travel from 178mm to 203mm.
Your fork was never designed to run with 203mm and stands a good chance of failing if run that way.
The current 203mm boxxers have the legs spaced wider than the old 7" models as well as redesigned lowers. This is why you cant use the top crown from a new boxxer on your fork.

You will need the boxxer ride u-turn kit which will give you adjustable travel from 5.25 to 7.

Also you can probably get away with just the Moco compression damper as moco rebound damper is nothing special (just a basic ported design). I know this works as I've done it.

Another option is the Risse KO cartridge if they are still available.
http://www.risseracing.com/forks.shtml (at the very bottom of the page)

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Your fork was never designed to run with 203mm and stands a good chance of failing if run that way.
The current 203mm boxxers have the legs spaced wider than the old 7" models as well as redesigned lowers. This is why you cant use the top crown from a new boxxer on your fork.
That's not true. The spacing is the same. You are correct though that the 8" travel boxxer uses larger lower bushings.

Go to the parts exploded diagram on the SRAM site. It shows what parts are backward compatible. You need to compare the part numbers to figure it out.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Do soemthing else. The experience we had with a review cart was nothing short of absolutely terrible. It locked down quite a bit, felt terrible alla round, leaked, and was generally just terrible. This was after they replaced it at least once too. The Mojo guys seem to be excellent at what they do, but that one.....ech.
Yeah, but that's not really a downgrade. The boxxer race felt terrible, leaked, and was just pretty crappy all around.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler

You will need the boxxer ride u-turn kit which will give you adjustable travel from 5.25 to 7.

Also you can probably get away with just the Moco compression damper as moco rebound damper is nothing special (just a basic ported design). I know this works as I've done it.

Another option is the Risse KO cartridge if they are still available.
http://www.risseracing.com/forks.shtml (at the very bottom of the page)
Not true - it slots straight in. I know because I've done it. You just don't use any plastic spacers above the spring.

You can't ONLY use the moco compression assembly, either you use both the rebound and compression or you use neither. Otherwise you have nothing forcing oil through the compression assembly, it won't work with the HC2/open bath setup as no oil will ever reach the compression piston! Also not true about the crowns having wider spacing. I'm running 04 crowns with 8" lowers right now. Sorry mate but you are totally full of misinformation.

Yeah, but that's not really a downgrade. The boxxer race felt terrible, leaked, and was just pretty crappy all around.
Sounds exactly like mine, except mine feels great, has never blown seals anywhere, and unlike all the new 888s, doesn't have any play in it!

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I'm scared and confused.
haha ok, the real deal from someone who has converted a 7" Boxxer to Moco: exactly as I said above. The springs and stuff do fit, the Moco gear bolts right in, you can't ONLY use a moco compression assembly (well it's possible that you could bolt it in there, it'd fit, but it wouldn't actually do anything unless you had the rebound assembly too). You won't gain or lose travel, you don't need U-turn, the fork will work just fine. If this is too much hassle for you (understandable) then maybe a Mojo kit would be easier.

Actually now that I think about it, you didn't have to buy a new spring plunger... just use the existing one from your 03 fork (in the left leg, if it's a Race, it'll just be a "dummy" ie spring plunger not damper anyway) and run 50ml of fork fluid in that side to lubricate stuff. The 8" spring will sit right on top of it, and it's the right length - if you need to you can add one or two of those nylon preload spacers but it wasn't necessary for me. Easy!

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
I was in the same position as you a while ago with my 03 races, but I didn't have the funds to fit MoCo or anything like that. All I did was spend £20 on the Black Box base valve from www.tftunedshox.com, and no, it doesn't feel as good as MoCo but it's a notable improvement and takes no longer to fit than to do a standard service. If you actually send it to them they can do a bit of drilling on the compression side which will improve it further, and if you have the stones to take a drill to your forks, I'm sure there are instructions online somewhere.

I imagine TF Tuned would post out to you no problem, but there might be an easier way if its available in North America.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
I heard that, they stop making them due to the inconsistency of the production...One was great, the next would be ****...so many people got amazing ones, and many got ones which were like running RST..

SO they publicly announced that due to this they would be stopped..

bushrider

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
NYC
THE LOWERS OF THE 03 BOXXER ARE NOT DESIGNED FOR 203mm of TRAVEL. YES A 08 TEAM SPRING WILL FIT BUT TRAVEL WILL BE INCREASED BEYOND WHAT THE FORK WAS DESIGNED FOR.

YOU NEED THE BOXXER RIDE U-TURN KIT AND SPRING OR A BOXXER WC LEG MODIFIED FOR 178mm TRAVEL.

YES I'M SHOUTING

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
THE LOWERS OF THE 03 BOXXER ARE NOT DESIGNED FOR 203mm of TRAVEL. YES A 08 TEAM SPRING WILL FIT BUT TRAVEL WILL BE INCREASED BEYOND WHAT THE FORK WAS DESIGNED FOR.

YOU NEED THE BOXXER RIDE U-TURN KIT AND SPRING OR A BOXXER WC LEG MODIFIED FOR 178mm TRAVEL.

YES I'M SHOUTING
No, you are wrong. The 03 lowers aren't designed for 203mm of travel but putting the 8" spring in WILL NOT INCREASE TRAVEL. Topout is in the same place (set by the compression plunger in the left leg) as is bottom-out, the available travel of the spring has nothing to do with it.

Keep shouting, it doesn't make you any more right. Kindly get your facts straight.

Cabdoctor

Monkey
Mar 25, 2008
Sacramento
HAHA talk about bringing a thread back from the dead. I just got a friends old Chumba Zulu and we're pimping it out. Will the MOCO conversion work on an 02

This fork
v
v
v
v

Don't you just love that seat?!

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the 02 and earlier Boxxers had butted stanchions? If I'm right, then no you can't convert them to MoCo.

Cabdoctor

Monkey
Mar 25, 2008
Sacramento
I believe you are right, are the butted stanchions and straight gauge interchangeable. In other words, If I was able to get a straight gauge, could I put it on there?

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Yes, they run butted stanctions and the lowers also feature larger drillings in the bottom so the newer damping carts just slide straight throught the hole

- I know as i tried to use an set of old 02 lowers as a temp measure but couldnt due to this reason.

Rick

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
Yes I searched.

I have a 2003 boxxer race that I'd like to update/make feel a little better. The Mojo Cart seems like the way to go, however, I can't seem to find them on the Mojo website, and I don't know where to find them (or even if they're still available).

Also, I've heard that the flat crown from a 04 boxxer will fit on my stantions and allow me to use an integrated stem. Any truth to this?

Thanks folks.
I had Jerry at Hippie Tech upgrade my '03 Boxxer race to WC spec w/ outstanding results so you may want to contact Jerry to find out what your options are since it's an older fork.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I believe you are right, are the butted stanchions and straight gauge interchangeable. In other words, If I was able to get a straight gauge, could I put it on there?
Why would you bother? For the money you spend doing that, you could just get an 06+ Race or something anyway.

Cabdoctor

Monkey
Mar 25, 2008
Sacramento
Why would you bother? For the money you spend doing that, you could just get an 06+ Race or something anyway.
I was thinking that, BUT at the same time, if the cost was roughly the same and the aftermarket/modified internals would provide a better ride than a stock 06, I think I would rather go that direction. Plus for me their is an obvious appeal to running a system that is far from stock. IDK why

:pirate2:PS that stem is for sale :pirate2:

Last edited: