Quantcast

Mojo de Ajo Tutorial

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Mojo de Ajo

Now, for a lot of you folks out there in foodie-land, when I type "mojo de ajo" many of you can immediately recall that distinctive aroma of roasted garlic just straight up pummeling your olfactory hot spots in whatever kitchen you happened to be in at the time.

For some of you, I'm sure Google is now working overtime trying to get you familiarized with what the hell I'm talking about. It's just garlic...taking a bath in hot olive oil for about an hour with a little bit of lime juice sunscreen rubbed in to make 'em all tan and toasty.

What does it do? Well....for one thing, you'll never be the same once you've had it. Talk about waking some food up...this is the crack to your Pookie. Tablespoon of this in some chicken soup...wham! Refried beans...crushing. Broiled some shrimp?....toss this in, shake it up and they are super-shrimp. Steamed veggies? Hell-to-the-yes....put em in a ziplock with a dollop of this and shake it....ba donka donk!! Mashed potatoes...I ain't even going there cause I'm libel to have a stroke talking about it cause it's so good.

Millions of uses for this stuff....keeps in the fridge for up to 3 months, but you'll finish it faster than that.

Step 1.
Get 4 heads of garlic and break 'em up.

Step 2.
Now...you gotta peel those suckers. I never once said this was easy, but if it was, everyone would do it. That's why this stuff is so awesome...you never see anybody have any because you have to get through this part first.
I have a smasher-which dislodges the garlic from the skin, but a big knife laid flat and then a firm hulk smash with the fist will do the trick. Peel the skin off, put the garlic in a shallow baking dish and just barely cover it with olive oil.

Put it the oven at 325 degrees for about 20 minutes...

Step 3.
Meanwhile, get yer juicer....or whatever you use, and squeeze up two limes.

Step 4.
Dump the lime juice in after 20 min. Back in the oven for another 20 min.

At this point, everyone in the house, will be gravitating to the kitchen because the smell is so epic. I'm convinced it could end the violence in the Middle East.

Step 5.
Pull the garlic out of the oven and smoosh it with the tater smoosher. The garlic is soft as butter and will smoosh real easy.

Step 6.
Jar it up and enjoy!!

Jul 28, 2003
Eat, ME
The whoooooooooooooole house smells really good right now. One thing I changed was I bought pre-peeled garlic. Lazy, but I have no pride when it comes to such things. Can't wait to slam some into mashed pertaters