Quantcast

MOJO uk.

degoose

Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So Cal
Hey have any of you ridden the 999. How does it feel? Would you monkeys rather have a 888rc(2005) and have the 999 thing done to it with ti springs, or have a 888rc2x?(2006)

http://www.mojo.co.uk/888_Cart.html

Thanks, i need a new fork due to the fact i just bought a stab, and im riding my super t up front. Also, would an 8inch travel fork be easier to pull up then the super t (7in on a 8inch travel frame.) Im really not interested with any of you guys critisisng my spelling, so if your a grammer nazi, stay off my damn thread. - Oliver.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Hmmm... I think this question has been addressed about 3 times in the past week, so a search should turn up some pretty useful info..

Here are some of my thoughts in one of the previous threads:

Yeah - I was looking at those too, but the main drawback to them is the design. The 999r mod uses the same design platform as the Boxxcart. In this design the rebound and compression adjustments are on the same circuit. This means that when you go to dial in the rebound adjuster (the only adjuster) on the top of the fork stantion, you are simultaneously adjusting the compression through shim stacks of some sort. Can't remember the specifics really but that's the main idea.

The one main advantage is the weight savings - you can drop almost a full pound off of your 888 with the 999r Ti conversion.

Personally I'd rather have the ability to dial in my own high and low speed compression to suit my needs like the way the 888RC2X dampers are set up. It's just more freedom of adjustability.

If you want to get REALLY pimp you can ask the guys at Go-Ride about the B.O.S. upgrade for 888's.... from what I've heard it makes the 888 unreal. Highly adjustable, extrememly responsive high/low compression, plus the internals are all made by BOS (Oliver Bossard)which is an Italian manufacturer of Moto forks... only downside is the price.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
degoose:
Also, would an 8inch travel fork be easier to pull up then the super t (7in on a 8inch travel frame.)
...pull up? :think:

Do you mean wheelie/manual when you say pull up?

The travel really has nothing to do w/ how easy it is to pull the front end off of the ground. That has more to do with how much the fork weighs, how much your front wheel weighs, the weight of the tire and tube, the length of your stem, bar height.....

The extra travel will make for a smoother ride, but other than that it won't make handling much different. This is assuming the 8 and 7 inch forks have the same rake and AC height.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Ahhh the B.O.S. upgrade. Pure Sex.

The only people out there that I know of that offer this upgrade are the boys at Go-Ride.

Give em' a shout.

degoose

Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So Cal
wingman24 said:
degoose is loose, degoose is loose, your spellins reel pritty.

Your Moms butt hole is loose, from what i did to it last night........ The b.o.s sound like a better idea then the 999r, O and the guys first name is the same as mine.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Diffrence with the Bos is while it being a awesome feeling fork once they internals have been fitted and sadjusted right,It bloody expensive

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
degoose said:
Also, would an 8inch travel fork be easier to pull up then the super t (7in on a 8inch travel frame.)
umm, i used to run my fox 40 at 8in but changed it to 7in and like it much better.if you are runing a fork with more travel, then there will be more sag when set up properly. so in a way you have to pull up slighlty more to just get the wheel of the ground.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
The Mojo products are awesome. I have talked to a few people that ride them and they all like them. I have even taken a short ride on a boxxcart fork and it felt pretty good. The only reason I would want to ride an 888 is if it had a 999 cart or a BOS cart in it (but that's just my opinion and I know most of you disagree).

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
In the UK the mojo box cart upgrade is widely recognised as the number 1 way to have forks that blow up every 2 rides. I would guess these are the same as there is no way in hell Chris Porter would admit his products dont work/change the design. He knows everything in the world about suspension and proved that single pivot is the only worth while suspension design because there are no VPP moto x bikes.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
klunky said:
In the UK the mojo box cart upgrade is widely recognised as the number 1 way to have forks that blow up every 2 rides. I would guess these are the same as there is no way in hell Chris Porter would admit his products dont work/change the design. He knows everything in the world about suspension and proved that single pivot is the only worth while suspension design because there are no VPP moto x bikes.

There is no reason for a VPP design on a Moto bike. You dont have to pedal a motorcycle. I really dont see any reason to prove that.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Kanter said:
There is no reason for a VPP design on a Moto bike. You dont have to pedal a motorcycle. I really dont see any reason to prove that.

Amen. thats sort of my point. Mojo think that there is no point in a multi pivot bike for cycling.

Nov 9, 2005
yes i have done that but it doesnt tell you what adjustments it comes with. it mentions compression and that is it. There are 4 knobs on the fork so does this mean 4 adjusments?

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
can you use any 888, because that sounds like a good idea for my old 888

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
klunky said:
I ride with someone who has a boxxcart. Theirs hasn't blown up mid ride yet. The oldstlye G1 carts blew up a lot I hear but the G2 cart is imporved and doesn't blow up. And nothing should be blowing up unless it is improperly tuned. So most of the blowing up is user error.

Nov 9, 2005
i recieved an e-mail from mojo today asking them about ti springs for a 888 rc2x. They said that they dont make the springs for the rc2x becasue the springs that they use are special for the 999r. Mojo said that it would be better to buy and old 888, and then send it to them for around 530 dollars, and have the 999r package done to it.

Nov 9, 2005
yea i talked to the guys at go-ride and they said they didnt like how the boss felt, and they said it didnt take much weight off the fork.

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
There was a very small batch of bad seals that went out in the past for Boxcart owners. That's why there were a few that blew up. The problem has been fixed.

If you think the 999r is expensive, just realize that every part inside the 888 has been removed and replaced with the 999. Performance wise, its on par with moto forks.

Keep checking back over the next month to www.nsmb.com about a 999r and a Boxcart test/review.

Hydraulicman

Monkey
Sep 25, 2001
Belgium
Don't mean to get a old thread back on top, but I mailed mojo about their 999 to ask how it worked.

This is what I got:

It does adjust the compression and the rebound at the same time. There is only one correct compression setting per rebound setting. If you have seperate adjusters it is possible to have the compression too light in respect to the rebound, in this situation the fork will pack down. If you have the compression too heavy for the rebound, the fork will not use enough travel and will effectively 'pack up'! we have tested the ranges for both rebound shim stacks and both compression shim stacks to give a seamless bend of adjustment over as much rebound speed as we need for the lightest spring we do and the heaviest spring we do and we have matched the compression shim stacks to suit using our datalogger and hours of test riding!

Cheers
ChrisP

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
deweydude said:
Man like 10,000 little swimmers, and you were the fastest !!:confused:

No offence man but I think your reading into that wrong :nope: :stupid:
No, he's right. Porter had a huge whinge in Dirt about how VPP (and similar) was pointless (and ironically quoting a Whyte 46 - multi pivot VPP-style bike - as a great example of a long travel trailbike) because motos didn't use it. MOTORBIKES DON'T WHINGE ABOUT BOBBING FFS. It's really not rocket surgery but that guy is very narrowminded.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Hydraulicman said:
This is what I got:

It does adjust the compression and the rebound at the same time. There is only one correct compression setting per rebound setting. If you have seperate adjusters it is possible to have the compression too light in respect to the rebound, in this situation the fork will pack down. If you have the compression too heavy for the rebound, the fork will not use enough travel and will effectively 'pack up'! we have tested the ranges for both rebound shim stacks and both compression shim stacks to give a seamless bend of adjustment over as much rebound speed as we need for the lightest spring we do and the heaviest spring we do and we have matched the compression shim stacks to suit using our datalogger and hours of test riding!

Cheers
ChrisP

this is what i get

bla bla we dont want to change the design so bla bla were going to try and tell our customers that they need and dont need.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
vitox said:
this is what i get

bla bla we dont want to change the design so bla bla were going to try and tell our customers that they need and dont need.
Sorry, the customer cannot ever be right. We don't care how much you weigh, what spring you are using, what bike you are on, or what type of course you are on. There is only ONE acceptable setting!

Nonsense.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I honestly don't mind the coupling of rebound and compression. It would make for more "consistent" settings. That said I would never buy this kit.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
What Mojo say about stock 888s

We know you will agree tha in standard trim the compression circuit is way too soft showing zero low speed control and not enough high speed damping by a long way. The rebound circuit on the 888s is better than most forks out there in range but exhibits absolutely no speed sensitivity. When you put these two things together you end up with a fork that rides way too deep in the stroke and will not recover when cornering or in g-outs... We have made these problems disappear!

Jan 18, 2006
It is a little odd, giving up on these adjustments that you sometimes pay for. The single adjuster on these upgrades really does cover the range for most riders, there are always going to be a few riders that will not prefer a product due to the lack of adjustability for them. The idea is that these upgrades are a great product for a large number of people.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Bicyclist said:
They pretty much described the problem I have with 888s.
By a low speed comp adjuster ($50) for you 888. If you set it up correctly, your problems will go away. If you want you can even get fancy and make custom mods to it to give you smaller adjustments. Works like a charm. BTW check the spring rates af a 888 vs other 8 in forks out there, they are very soft. This also has a lot to do with them riding 'too low' in their travel and is another simple fix. For example, the stock fox 40 spring is 40 lb/in and most people find it too soft..the stock 888 springs combine for a total of about 35.76 lb/in.