Quantcast

Molly's Enlightenment.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Well, here is Project Satori (enlightenment).

My good ol. Gen. 1 USB Molly all decked to the 9's. Just got her all back together.

Muchos Props to Greg of GMD for the integrated pivotal mount and the slice & dice seat-tube slots (let the hate begin :cool: ), as well as the hook-up on the pc connection. Couldn't have done it without your help man, smooth operator right there! Takin' bikes and hot-roddin'em to the seventh level.

weighs in at 25lb 5oz as she sits in those pictures, brakeless... But I WILL be putting brakes on. I have some Demolition Vulcan Grips, but I may run into tire clearance issues/rubbing with my tire slammed... :madman: not cool.

If the photos are hard to see because of the all black... then mission accomplished. :D

waiting to strap this bad boy on too... but my rim won't be here for another week or so.
Marmoset 20mm:

now I gotta get out and RIDE her! this little bbq hot rod is just beggin' to get ripped. But this sleet/freezing rain in my area does not help right now. :madman:

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
f-in sweet!!!!

what stem and bars are those, and did gmdesigns do some work on you fork also?

Kink relief stem, and those shown in these photos are NemPro Folsom Prison bars (with "silencer" holes I drilled under the grips).

I've also got some old Solid bikes bars that have a higher 3"+ rise that I may throw on just to compare.

I did the work on the forks, opening up that relief and I ground off the disc tabs, but Greg smoothed the remains of the disc mount more before powdercoat. GMD also made me one smooth mutha' of a flush alu. axle which I used some knight crank bolts to fasten. A LOT lighter than the full chromo 14mm X 20mm axle that comes with this Rebate. Should be dialed with that Marmoset on there.

yeah duck, thanks... Now I just wish I had an indoor mini to shred too!

Pit Steelers, I don't want any red on it. My Molly's not on the rag.
If you want red on it, check out ServeEm's hotty taMolly, that was his style, not mine.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
what frame is that and who makes it
Union Street Bikes (USB) "Molly Maguire".

Check'em out, dialed geometry for the 24.
Nice and light this year (without having to grind slots into your seattube or drill holes in your dropouts, hahaha...) Mine is a 1st generation frame, so a bit heavier than the new ones, among a few other minor differences. Great company.
It was originally green... you might be able to see some other photos of it somewhere on this forum... with a spec. list and whatnot...

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
If your into weight saving it looks like you may be able to shave some weight under the seat but I can't really tell from the pics.

Other then that dope bike!

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
Wow very nice man! You are gett'in all eastern with it!

Seriously very nice.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
If your into weight saving it looks like you may be able to shave some weight under the seat but I can't really tell from the pics.

Other then that dope bike!
yeah, always other methods to drop weight... But I'm satisfied, just wanna take the little girl out and pin it right now! :monkeydance:
Anyway, I still run regular tubes, have heavy BFR's, heavy bars, heavy'ish stem... heavy Solid headset (could go with new crank brothers opium), tapped the bars for Tree bar-ends which are actually a bit heavier than the Kink Lights they replaced... Heavy'ish rear tire... etc.
I'm not one to strip my seat and gut the plastic webbing... I've shaved foam off of mx bike seats before... but I'm content with this one.

yeah, thanks axis. Wasn't exactly trying to make it look like an eastern, but it's pretty undeniable as they are known for that slot... (Wonder if they will do that to the Black Betty frame?)
I figured it was more like matching the new Mollys with the externally butted seat-tubes, but instead of butting my tube (is that even possible? haha), I just slotted it!

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Very cool. Looks like a super fun bike. That pivotal mount is great, so simple.
Needs a black chain, and some black bolts! :D

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
hey, it's molly reaper! hahaha, I'm very impressed dude. Looks like you and Glen have really done your respective homework!

you said the stem was heavy'ish? I thought that was one of the lighter ones out right now?

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
Nice work Satori, I really dig. The black is killer, beat the **** out of it and give it some character now. What part of the world are you in right now? We do an all MTB rent out down at TRP in Dearborn every other week if you're around these parts. A big MI crowd is hitting up Ray's on the 23rd also if you're around.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
yea, i thought that kink was as light as they get.

sick bick man, i love the new color/setup. as simple as they get. i been thinkin a few times of powder coating my tonic all black like that.

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
Is that a flat black paint Satori or did you have a little grey added into the paint? What kind of paint job is it anyway?

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Looks great, definetely brings it into the realm of the Gen III frame in terms of weight and probably not far from the Gen IV but it would be hard to replicate our new down-tube; although, I know you did it for the hot-rod aspect more than the weight savings.

That is definitely a light stem as far as 22.2mm stems go, about the only thing lighter is the Elementary or a Thompson.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
DAMN. That's one of the hottest rides I've seen.

Brakeless for the pics is cheating, though, if you're going to them run them. :busted:

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Beautiful steed Satori, very hot. I love the stealth look with all the mods you put into her.

Hope you weren't implying my rig is on the rag. Pretty sure you weren't, actually I have her all apart going through some changes. Was gonna go blacked out but there ain't no way I'm following in after you.

Glad to see all your crazy ideas come together.

GMDesigns

Chimp
Sep 27, 2006
OH
Looks great Dave! I think of the Stealth Bomber when I see your bike.

Dave put a lot of thought and effort into this project that can't be seen in the photos. Definately a bike you must see in person...if you can find it!

Thanks for including me in your project.
GM

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
waiting to strap this bad boy on too... but my rim won't be here for another week or so.
Marmoset 20mm:
Satori - how are you converting that hub to 20mm?

And is GSpot coming out with a 14mm cassette hub soon? I do love my Profiles but the Gspots look interesting especailly the flush mount bolts - plus I think they're a few bucks cheaper.