Quantcast

%%% Monday ain't so bad GTM %%%

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The Volvo already feel pretty posh compared to my other rides this year but it sure no RR. Well lets see if if its heading to the repair shop already.
What's not working?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Get out of my country!

I spent this am in the clinic to get antibiotics.

My bastard cat bit me last night and I woke up with a swollen wrist which hurt like a mofo. Google scared me into immediate action.

Stupid cat...
Careful there. I got bitten by our cat 10 years ago when I foolishly tried to break up a cat fight on our yard. I spent a couple of days in a hospital being administered IV antibiotics and I was this close to debridement.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
And I thought at first that debridement was a fancy-schmancy word for divorce.
That doesn't sound fun.
I got bit by a cat once, my wrist swelled to the size of a small grapefruit...most unpleasant.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Careful there. I got bitten by our cat 10 years ago when I foolishly tried to break up a cat fight on our yard. I spent a couple of days in a hospital being administered IV antibiotics and I was this close to debridement.
Yep! I’m on 5 days of Cephalexin every 6 hours. Apparently that oughtta fix me up and remove the aids particles.

My 2am google search spooked me with stories similar to yours.

I probably couldn’t go for a mtb ride at the moment because of the swelling around my wrist.

Little bastard...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Second deck estimate in: $28k. This is the guy who said to call in for warranty on the surface material and to reuse our balusters. Anothe)$10k if we want to put in new pergolas and a lighting package (probably on the lights for the stairs already), but still WAY under the last estimate.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Second deck estimate in: $28k. This is the guy who said to call in for warranty on the surface material and to reuse our balusters. Anothe)$10k if we want to put in new pergolas and a lighting package (probably on the lights for the stairs already), but still WAY under the last estimate.
You should go with the lowest bidder.

:popcorn:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You should go with the lowest bidder.

:popcorn:
Wifey his Nextdoor and the Highlands Ranch Facebook page (~45k members) and he was one of the most recommended people. Yelp has him with the most reviews and highest number of people reviewing in the area. We still have the others coming back.

For @eric strt6 - he has a gluelam only policy and uses treated after drying (kiln dried) wood - that's your language.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
My settlement conference infuriated me. But we reached a settlement. Though in the long run, revenge will be mine.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
There are some savages out there. These fucks moved the crud I blocked (and pissed on..) off of their Strava line and onto the proper trail. The fuck? It's the third time this year I've had to fix this corner...

Before shot. Trail curves up slight incline to the right. The logs and crap are covering the trail proper here.

After. Not only did I move it all back, but I went and doubled the amount of crud. I even found a nice stick to semi-rake the trail to encourage use of the (awesome) roots.

Sadly, I did not enjoy any pre-ride beverages, so I had no piss in the tank to spray on the new pile.

Maybe I need to make a sign telling whoever it is to stop being a savage and learn to ride on roots?

/rant

Given that Hilarie and I are old farts, just spent three and a half hours on the phone arranging for various Medicare supplemental insurance. Ugh.

In the middle of the call, two contractors showed up - when I get back from KT, excavation for shed foundation should be complete.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
There are some savages out there. These fucks moved the crud I blocked (and pissed on..) off of their Strava line and onto the proper trail. The fuck? It's the third time this year I've had to fix this corner...

Before shot. Trail curves up slight incline to the right. The logs and crap are covering the trail proper here.

After. Not only did I move it all back, but I went and doubled the amount of crud. I even found a nice stick to semi-rake the trail to encourage use of the (awesome) roots.

Sadly, I did not enjoy any pre-ride beverages, so I had no piss in the tank to spray on the new pile.

Maybe I need to make a sign telling whoever it is to stop being a savage and learn to ride on roots?

/rant
Next time bury rocks.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
So as I was getting ready to drop in on Butter, and a group of riders came up the hill behind me. One of them was Sam from Transition bikes. Cool dude. Rode with them until I broke a spoke. Told them to head on and I’d be fine. Whipped out the duck tape and back on the bike. Caught back up to them for some buttered cat shinaningans.

But that wasn’t even the best part of the day. More later. Nao Fajitas.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Wifey his Nextdoor and the Highlands Ranch Facebook page (~45k members) and he was one of the most recommended people. Yelp has him with the most reviews and highest number of people reviewing in the area. We still have the others coming back.

For @eric strt6 - he has a gluelam only policy and uses treated after drying (kiln dried) wood - that's your language.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Or dig a giant pit so it fills with water
Might be effective if it rained enough for that and I'd toss rocks, but they don't really exist in this forest. But the whole point is to not destroy the forest, keep the singletrack actual singletrack, don't create shortcuts, avoid trail braiding, don't dumb down the trail etc etc.

I think it erks me so much, because these trails have existed in the exact same state for literally the last 20+ years. I learned to bike on them. Only recently have these asshats taken it upon themselves to modify the trail and create shortcuts. This turn has been there, complete with roots, since before I even started to mountain bike as a kid. I'll do everything I can to stop these clowns.

There are other spots around Toronto that have become glorified dirt sidewalks. Our group of riders do not even mention riding those spots anymore (Durham Forest...). @atrokz can attest to this tomfoolery.

Next time I'm taking a dump on the tree pile.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Might be effective if it rained enough for that and I'd toss rocks, but they don't really exist in this forest. But the whole point is to not destroy the forest, keep the singletrack actual singletrack, don't create shortcuts, avoid trail braiding, don't dumb down the trail etc etc.

I think it erks me so much, because these trails have existed in the exact same state for literally the last 20+ years. I learned to bike on them. Only recently have these asshats taken it upon themselves to modify the trail and create shortcuts. This turn has been there, complete with roots, since before I even started to mountain bike as a kid. I'll do everything I can to stop these clowns.

There are other spots around Toronto that have become glorified dirt sidewalks. Our group of riders do not even mention riding those spots anymore (Durham Forest...). @atrokz can attest to this tomfoolery.

Claymore mines make a good deterrent. You’d also learn awfully quickly who trail ruiners are.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

You do realize you've started a war, don't you? Don't let strava win

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
You do realize you've started a war, don't you? Don't let strava win
It's been a long war...

I was clotheslined in the chest/neck by a rope in this forest a few summers ago...

https://www.yorkregion.com/news-story/6717485-ropes-on-richmond-hill-trails-serious-safety-hazard-mountain-bikers-say/

Ten years ago there was a big jump line and dirt jumps in the forest. The town absolutely bulldozed part of the forest. But even better lines and bigger jumps are in there now...

Bikers can be stubborn and we'll try to win. :D

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
What's not working?
Several things did not work including all the self driving tech and could not connect to Internet via my phone too. As with a computer they just did a reboot and everything was fine. The self driving tech is pretty cool I guess and nice to have turned on when you need to take the eyes off the road but more fun to drive the car just with adaptive cruise.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Several things did not work including all the self driving tech and could not connect to Internet via my phone too. As with a computer they just did a reboot and everything was fine. The self driving tech is pretty cool I guess and nice to have turned on when you need to take the eyes off the road but more fun to drive the car just with adaptive cruise.
I have reverted to largely just adaptive cruise. Pilot Assist sometimes works great but sometimes you're fighting it constantly because it wants to ride the left lane marker or the like, and that's just annoying.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
My rental on Iceland had this Lane assist feature. It was fucking useless on their narrow winding roads and single lane bridges. I almost lost my mind before I dug out the car manual and figured how to turn the POS feature off.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have reverted to largely just adaptive cruise. Pilot Assist sometimes works great but sometimes you're fighting it constantly because it wants to ride the left lane marker or the like, and that's just annoying.
So far my experience is it works great in some environment and not so great in others. I especially on a daily commute you can learn where its good and bad.

@StiHacka My previous car had adaptive cruise in an older version and it was not anywhere near as good as whats in the Volvo and was at least one generation behind. In the previous car it really only worked in on long highway trips without too much traffic where in the Volvo I can use it around town too without a problem.

You're fucking fired. Keep your eyes on the road even if you have a fancy car. This is how people die :disgust1:
You never take your eyes off the road? I think its impossible to avoid even more so in a new car before you learn where everything is. I totally agree its not ideal but there is a huge amount of tech in the car to help make it as safe as possible. Where I have noticed the help so far is keeping the correct safe distance to the car in front of and of course keeping the speed limit.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
So far my experience is it works great in some environment and not so great in others. I especially on a daily commute you can learn where its good and bad.
How does it fair in crosswinds on the big bridges?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Not sure yet but I will drive to Jylland this week and cross the biggest bridge in Denmark.
I am really curious as there was the suggestion that you could change the Fynske motorvej to 3 lanes without much construction work by using smaller lanes and relying on technology to keep the cars centered in the lane. But having been next to a semi on the Lillebælt bridge that suddenly got blown halfway into my lane I have my doubts.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I am really curious as there was the suggestion that you could change the Fynske motorvej to 3 lanes without much construction work by using smaller lanes and relying on technology to keep the cars centered in the lane. But having been next to a semi on the Lillebælt bridge that suddenly got blown halfway into my lane I have my doubts.
I have tried to be something like that before but my latest cars have done better. I think as you learn where it hits the most you can prepare for it like when you drive by the big towers on the bridge you really have to hold on when the car exits after each tower.

On the self driving front the system in the Volvo is light years better then the adaptive cruise in the Audi I was driving before.