Quantcast

monday gfmt

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
So I finally totaled out the cost for the car repairs. Includes Uber rides, misc. small parts, fluids, etc. $6300.

This includes extra fluids I need to sell (probably $50). $2000 was the cost from the shop, $1000 for servicing the VANOS unit ($350 for overnight shipping), $700 for servicing the solenoid boards ($500 for overnight shipping), the rest was in parts. I wasted ~$600 when I sent the VANOS boards to my buddy to service for me, as the underlying issue that failed was a solenoid that was firing audibly but not actually closing. He didn't even have a chance to get it done 100% right. The second service of the VANOS unit and board corrected it. Talking to the shop, the total service I did would have been close to $10,000 had the shop done it.

Total service includes: Replacing fan, fan clutch, CCV hoses and centerfuges, T-stat, radiator, tranny fluid, rear diff fluid, oil pressure valve behind VANOS, VANOS solenoid service and replacement of one, VANOS rebuild, air intake filters (2x), MAF sensors, spark plugs, intake/outtake cam position sensors, timing chain tensioner, windshield sprayer hoses repaired, windshield sprayer pump, cabin air intake inlet replaced, oil/filter change to 5W-30, extra oil/filter for 10W-60 for summer, and battery post cover.

Hurts for sure, but these are all 50-100k parts, so I can thankfully not worry about them again. Would have been less had I just swapped over to the 6-speed with Brembo's on the Lesbaru. Oh well. I will hopefully be keeping this car indefintely.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Hurts for sure, but these are all 50-100k parts, so I can thankfully not worry about them again.
I look forward to reading about this same mess repeating itself in 3-4 years then. :D

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Thanks guys. It's been a bit tough, especially since I don't think I'll be able to make it back for the funeral. Unfortunately while my parents were out here the rest of the family decided to do it while I'm away on my honeymoon. Luckily I had a fantastic day with her in October when we went home last, somehow I think we both knew it was the last time we'd see each other.