monday gfmt

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
god
fuck
dammit

offer came in. yay! but it's pretty low. I think if I can negotiate another $5k it will be just about even with the last place, but hmmmm
More importantly, do you like the place and the opportunity? Did you like the people?

Not that money isn't ever a consideration, but $5K vs expectations isn't a big enough gulf to outweigh some of the intangibles, IMO. If they hold firmly that is, by all means ask for more.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
More importantly, do you like the place and the opportunity? Did you like the people?

Not that money isn't ever a consideration, but $5K vs expectations isn't a big enough gulf to outweigh some of the intangibles, IMO. If they hold firmly that is, by all means ask for more.
paid biweekly that's barely $200 a paycheck, even less once taxes are taken out

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL

PTO and commute should be considered higher up than $5k

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

You aren't wrong, but base pay is 17% lower than my previous (which was admittedly high), bonus is 5% lower. There are no benefits, instead they do 20% as pre-tax retirement contribution. That's huge, and since it's tax-free it counts extra toward total compensation, and I use my wife's benefits instead of my employer's so it's a push anyways. If my math is right, total compensation is still quite a bit lower than my previous which is why negotiating for a bit more and not being insane with the request might be doable.

So, it's a lot lower, it'll add 20 minutes to my commute each way (still tolerable), it's not a bump in title, it's a lower salary, and I have no idea what it'll be like to work for- I'll be the third employee. $5k pushed through that fat bonus brings me to like 2500 lower than I was making previously (excluding cell phone stipend and some other weird treats they liked to sprinkle in)...but if it's tolerable and I can make it to exit, my shares would be extremely valuable. So I think my answer is that I need to negotiate a bit, but I'm not sure whether to ask big and negotiate down or ask for what I want and try to be firm.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I've been trying for a year now to project 'competent snow removal' on him but it's just not working

I'm terrible at this
It’s time for me to fess up.
I actually have not even used an electric snowblower, let alone own one. for a few years now, actually, I use a hair dryer. If fact, ALL of the snow from’20 ‘21, ‘22, is STILL THERE.

I don’t know how I could have lived in such denial.
I really should take all of my snow advice from a Floridian, after all.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It’s time for me to fess up.
I actually have not even used an electric snowblower, let alone own one. for a few years now, actually, I use a hair dryer. If fact, ALL of the snow from’20 ‘21, ‘22, is STILL THERE.

I don’t know how I could have lived in such denial.
I really should take all of my snow advice from a Floridian, after all.
It's okay we know you live in a low snow environment.

Let it all out.

We're here for you.

And the world you live in where a hairdryer (or shovel) would be just as effective as the snowblower you have on the minuscule amounts of snow you get.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
It's okay we know you live in a low snow environment.

Let it all out.

We're here for you.

And the world you live in where a hairdryer (or shovel) would be just as effective as the snowblower you have on the minuscule amounts of snow you get.
I've found the easiest thing to do is to put it in 4x4 and keep going. Spring shows up eventually, amirite?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I don't think you want to know the answer to that ;)

Half my town (61% but who's counting) is airbnbs so there's always the got muh big truck/highly advanced crosstrek, goin skiin anyway crowd.

That approach didn't work too well come may and june when the driveway was still a foot of ice. And also november december january february march and april.

spring wasn't until july this year

and shit was still icy from people driving on it 5 months prior :rofl:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
remaining pretty stoked on this; although it's not @kidwoo's favorite rag it's still pretty much one of the most prestigious places to get a show reviewed; a full review for a show not in the northeast/chicago/LA is exceedingly rare.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
remaining pretty stoked on this; although it's not @kidwoo's favorite rag it's still pretty much one of the most prestigious places to get a show reviewed; a full review for a show not in the northeast/chicago/LA is exceedingly rare.
only those douchebags need to 'resdiscover'

they're the assholes who were never smart enough to just pay attention in the first place