Quantcast

***Monday GMT***

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Good Morning!

Sorry I'm late.....we had a most gigantic truss job that needed to be on the road at daybreak, so I've been loading 45,000 lbs of trusses onto the flatbeds this morning.

Great weekend...weather was beautiful. I didn't get to ride as much as I wanted--ended up doing a lot of work in the yard. I did buy a new P&S camera on Sat--a Kodak V1253. Very neat little camera for better riding shots.

Gotta run....still got a few things to do before I goof off for the rest of the day.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
morning. had an allergy attack Friday. It sucked. Otherwise, it was an awesome weekend. Stayed outside pretty much all day Saturday and Sunday. My son lives for this kind of weather. He had a blast both days. I think it was like 70^ yesterday, really nice stuff.

I may be getting back on a mtb in the near future. Pretty stoked about that.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
morning G-hound!

long day at Ray's yesterday! great time and good riding!

tired now... that's about all I got!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
skied Sat - I've never experienced powder that deep & light, it was insane plus we had 8th chair up and had 1st tracks most of the way down that run. And a friend of friend let us crash at their on the mtn townhouse so we skied again sunday! total awesomeness

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Mornin, yo.

One hour to go and the Night Shift Still Sucks.

Is it OK to have a beer at 6am if I have been up the last 13 hours working? Or should I have bourbon?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
'Morning!! Saturday freaking ruled. 18" of fresh, light powder at Mt Snow. Their tree trails were so much fun. We got first tracks at 7:30, before the lifts opened (we got into a "guided tour"). We skied for most of the day and didn't even stop for lunch until we were done. Everyone on the mountain was having so much fun. I took a couple of moments to just stop and listen, and you could hear people all over the place hooting and hollering down the mountain. It was such an all around good vibe and everyone was happy. Good stuff. We capped the day off with beer and homemade pizza.

Skiing with an already sore back was probably a bad idea. I was in so much pain yesterday that I had to bail on skiing. MBC still got out to enjoy the day though.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
***** Super Important Update ******

I have been using Greyhound's razor drying method to dry and clean my straight razor after shaving each time. It appears to be working. I am now on my 4th shave with the same razor and while all the "lube" strip is gone my blade still shaves like a champ. I haven't had many blades last past the 5th shave.

**** End super important update *****

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
What is this drying method? Please enlighten us, Greyhound!

Morning all. Bikes, babies and baptism dates. That was my weekend in a nutshell.

Later!

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Good weekend here...

Trail work Saturday morning, ride in the afternoon.

Three hour ride Sunday.

Didn't shave all weekend.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
uggg... :dead: Crappy weekend. Partied too much Sat. night and ruined myself for all day yesterday. Think I got off the couch twice. :think: Worst of all, apparently in my drunken stupor Sat. night I agreed to a bet with my wife that I could go 3 months without drinking. C'mon June 1st!!! :rolleyes:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

I have been using Greyhound's razor drying method to dry and clean my straight razor after shaving each time. It appears to be working. I am now on my 4th shave with the same razor and while all the "lube" strip is gone my blade still shaves like a champ. I haven't had many blades last past the 5th shave.

Do you manscape with said razor also?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Good morning.
I'm stoked about this oatmeal this morning. :monkeydance:

I was lifting weights on Saturday and felt something 'pop' in my brain! I swear I layed there for 2 minutes waiting to die, but just got a bad headache. After some research it appears I was (1) dehydrated and (2) pulled a muscle which tweaked a nerve. Scary for the moment though.

Nice long road ride on Sunday am. I would eat that road bike for a weekend of dry fast singletrack. :rant: Bring on Spring already.

Stosh: I too have positive results from razor drying. I have +/- 12 shaves on this current blade and it cuts like new.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
skied Sat - I've never experienced powder that deep & light, it was insane plus we had 8th chair up and had 1st tracks most of the way down that run. And a friend of friend let us crash at their on the mtn townhouse so we skied again sunday! total awesomeness
ooh, i'm envious (IRB, too). i got my 9th day of the season in on Friday but it was on horrible snow. it was so bad, what with the slush and ice in tandem, that i decided that it'd be my last day of the season.

i have a dress rehearsal tonight. TreeSaw: we're doing Tchaik 6 and the Barber violin concerto among other pieces... :monkeydance:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Good morning.

Stosh: I too have positive results from razor drying. I have +/- 12 shaves on this current blade and it cuts like new.
Cool deal! Are you doing it because of Greyhound's suggestion?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
uggg... :dead: Crappy weekend. Partied too much Sat. night and ruined myself for all day yesterday. Think I got off the couch twice. :think: Worst of all, apparently in my drunken stupor Sat. night I agreed to a bet with my wife that I could go 3 months without drinking. C'mon June 1st!!! :rolleyes:
Don't drink alcohol then, just eat jello shots.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Morning all. 8" more snow on Friday night meant more shovelling and playing in the snow on Saturday for Syd & I (Sq-Earl's been fighting off this evil cold for 4 days now). I got in a good spin on Saturday and a short one last night as well, so I am feeling like a little less of a slug these days.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC

That's cool.....yeah, don't put too much stock into those lube strips. They don't do anything your shaving cream doesn't already do. I'm glad you're giving it an honest go.....like I said, I can get 'em to last at least a year, but I always treat myself to a new one about every six months.

Jim Mac: Simple method. After every shave, dry off the blade with a towel and either blow a few puffs of air across it to get any residual moisture underneath the blades, or hit it with a hairdryer for a few seconds. No water equals no rust equals sharp blade always.

Maybe Gillette can come up with a blade that has a little air cartridge in the handle where you push the button and an air jet blows the water off for you!! Instant millionaire.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
That's cool.....yeah, don't put too much stock into those lube strips. They don't do anything your shaving cream doesn't already do. I'm glad you're giving it an honest go.....like I said, I can get 'em to last at least a year, but I always treat myself to a new one about every six months.

Jim Mac: Simple method. After every shave, dry off the blade with a towel and either blow a few puffs of air across it to get any residual moisture underneath the blades, or hit it with a hairdryer for a few seconds. No water equals no rust equals sharp blade always.

Maybe Gillette can come up with a blade that has a little air cartridge in the handle where you push the button and an air jet blows the water off for you!! Instant millionaire.

I actually use my wife's hair dryer.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar

No kidding, I know a research scientist from Gillette that does nothing but study friction and wear of razor blades. They are working on superlow friction and wear coatings made of hydrophobic (water repellent) amorphous carbon and nanocrystalline diamond films.

He also says that their research shows that if you want the best possible shave, you should always shave after a hot shower because the hair and hair follicle absorbs water and becomes much softer and easier to cut. When the hair is soft, it doesn't tug when when razor cuts it, and you get less irritation. Also when the follicle absorbs water, it swells and pushes the hair out a little so you actually cut the hair a little closer. If you don't have time to shower, then shave in the morning, putting a hot cloth on your face for about 5 minutes is the next best alternative.

Personally, I haven't shaved or even trimmed my beard in at least 45 days. I'm starting to look like a mountain man. (Or Burley's new avatar)

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Cool deal! Are you doing it because of Greyhound's suggestion?
Yep. I dry it with my towel then blow through the 3 blades a few times.
We should nominate Greyhound for the Nobel prize for this.

On second thought, the razor blade cartels are probably on their way to pay him a visit right now ....

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
those blades are made of stainless steel. unless you have super-hard or acidic water, you should not see any corrosion, esp in the very short amount of time you would use a razor.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the weekend was ok. i was w/ the boys for the entire time, as my wife was gone friday > last night, paying a surprise birthday visit to her mom in FLA.

we didn't do much on sat, but yesterday spent a good chunk of the day @ the science museum. they had a cool exhibit on squamates (lizards and snakes, that is), and the regular exhibits were very cool as well. it was pretty jammed.