Quantcast

!@#$ Monday GMT $#@!

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Nothing special about today. I get to go shovel the driveway before going to work. That's is all.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
dropped some serious coin on a high tech pillow yesterday. I've been waking up with sore shoulders and neck for a while and couldn't take it anymore. The one I bough has 3 layers of foam and a shoulder cut out (side sleeper) slept great last night and I don't hurt this morning. score

have to pick up a 400# person in a wheelchair today for a round trip to the VA Hospital, he lives at a facility that is on the second floor with no elevator just a ramp that wraps around two sides of the building. Yes I will be sore by the end of the day.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
There is some novelty now that I've gotten to work. Our office is split between KC and Denver, so we have different weather protocals. I got an email from Saturday saying that Denver is expecting 12" of snow and it is business as usual. KC is expecting 12" of snow and the office is shut down. WTF is that? Apparently the expectation is that less than 18" and we're good to go. Over 10" and KC is shut down. Kinda f*ed up in my opinion.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
There is some novelty now that I've gotten to work. Our office is split between KC and Denver, so we have different weather protocals. I got an email from Saturday saying that Denver is expecting 12" of snow and it is business as usual. KC is expecting 12" of snow and the office is shut down. WTF is that? Apparently the expectation is that less than 18" and we're good to go. Over 10" and KC is shut down. Kinda f*ed up in my opinion.
probably has nothing to do with the office itself and more the local / regional infrastructure and how well equipped they are to respond to snow.

for instance, here in PA we can deal with a few inches of snow no problem. My in-laws who live a little more than an hour south in maryland, well, whenever they get a dusting of snow everything pretty much shuts down; apparently MD isn't really all that well equipped for snow.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hi all. Holding the baby since she was mewing even though it's preventing me from getting ready for work.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
probably has nothing to do with the office itself and more the local / regional infrastructure and how well equipped they are to respond to snow.

for instance, here in PA we can deal with a few inches of snow no problem. My in-laws who live a little more than an hour south in maryland, well, whenever they get a dusting of snow everything pretty much shuts down; apparently MD isn't really all that well equipped for snow.
I get that. I still find it silly that in places where it definitely snows, that they don't have the infrastructure to handle it. I mean, they are at the same latitude as us and even farther into the real mid-west snow belt. If anything, it's just poor municipal planning.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
I get that. I still find it silly that in places where it definitely snows, that they don't have the infrastructure to handle it. I mean, they are at the same latitude as us and even farther into the real mid-west snow belt. If anything, it's just poor municipal planning.
KC is definitely not equipped for major snow storms. My wife's sister & brother-in-law live just west of KC and they get MAYBE a couple of dustings of snow each year. As soon as they get more than a few inches then pretty much the whole city shuts down.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Yo. Trail bike rebuild this weekend. Loves me the easy single pivot maintenance with needle bearingz. Clean it, grease it & go! Parts are rolling in. Just need to get the fork out for the rebuild tomorrow. Haven't replaced the seals in 7 years (before Marz when down the tubes).

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Hi there.

Up and at 'em. Beautiful chilly morning here, everything blanketed in a nice layer of snow. Beautiful.
Skied Friday and Sunday, my legs are worked but I'm not really complaining.

Has anyone seen Life of Pi?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Almost got into an accident last night when a big ass wild boar ran out into the road in front of me. Easy 200 or better, ended up in the dirt at 50 mile an hour hoping not to roll.........

Work today, single day off tomorrow

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Just got a call from a company looking for a professional reference for a person who worked for our company for a while. Problem is, she was terrible at it. It took her three months to learn how to do something, and she did it wrong. She didn't bother to ask before putting me down for a reference. Uh.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Just got a call from a company looking for a professional reference for a person who worked for our company for a while. Problem is, she was terrible at it. It took her three months to learn how to do something, and she did it wrong. She didn't bother to ask before putting me down for a reference. Uh.
Hope you did the old CYA HR move - just verify dates of employment. That's code for "Don't hire this person".

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
can you elaborate? I will try my hardest to not bag on this person but I also don't want to lie to somebody about how bad she was...
Isn't there some law or mandate that makes it illegal to give someone a bad reference? Which is why the most 'negative' thing you can say about a person is simply say 'yup, they did in fact work here from date to date' and leave it at that.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Monday is here, company trip to Tahoe this weekend and was a little worried about snowboarding (having not done it in about 8 years :panic: ) But they sent out the events set up for Saturday and it has a 2 hour snowmobiling trip that sounds cool. Never been on a sled, but had a blast on my buddies quad this weekend. As soon as my taxes are done, I will get a 2 stroke moto to ride at GFF's place.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Hi there.

Up and at 'em. Beautiful chilly morning here, everything blanketed in a nice layer of snow. Beautiful.
Skied Friday and Sunday, my legs are worked but I'm not really complaining.

Haven't seen it, but did read the book! It's a good one! Can't wait to see the movie!

I'm not skiing today.

#thisdaysucks #firstworldproblems
I'm with you! :D

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Daydreaming of moving into our NEW VAN!!!
3Ea3Gc3Jd5N85H15M8d278a97e4afadcc1c1d.jpg3nb3Ec3Mb5N95Lc5K5d27ad29ba814f2f1c39.jpg

Other than that, it IS Monday. I am NOT skiing today. But... my boss is gone today, so it's GREAT!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Isn't there some law or mandate that makes it illegal to give someone a bad reference? Which is why the most 'negative' thing you can say about a person is simply say 'yup, they did in fact work here from date to date' and leave it at that.
I think many companies have "neutral reference" mandates, but most aren't laws, I believe. I can't imagine that you could legislate that, unless it was proven to be untrue or malicious. As far as personal, asked references, they can say whatever they like, to my understanding, which is why you want to ask first, and make sure they'll give you a positive one.

I won't slam her, as she wasn't intentionally bad, she was just a slow learner who made for a bad employee. I think I need some "best micromanaged" and "needs structure to excel" terms.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I think many companies have "neutral reference" mandates, but most aren't laws, I believe. I can't imagine that you could legislate that, unless it was proven to be untrue or malicious. As far as personal, asked references, they can say whatever they like, to my understanding, which is why you want to ask first, and make sure they'll give you a positive one.

I won't slam her, as she wasn't intentionally bad, she was just a slow learner who made for a bad employee. I think I need some "best micromanaged" and "needs structure to excel" terms.
You open yourself up to a whole world of lawsuits there, buddy. Those two terms you used there could totally be misconstrued. As FT said, the 'neutral' approach of dates of employment is the safest way to message what you said (without actually saying it). Do you have an HR department? Might wanna 'czech with them.

When people list me as a reference (which they often do, as I unfortunately or fortunately have responsibility for 25+ employees), I either give a good or a 'name and date' reference. Nothing in the middle ground/grey zone.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The way employers around here get around that is to ask a simple question:

Would you hire this person again if given a chance?
This is a legal yes/no question that can kill you as a prospect.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
You open yourself up to a whole world of lawsuits there, buddy. Those two terms you used there could totally be misconstrued. As FT said, the 'neutral' approach of dates of employment is the safest way to message what you said (without actually saying it). Do you have an HR department? Might wanna 'czech with them.

When people list me as a reference (which they often do, as I unfortunately or fortunately have responsibility for 25+ employees), I either give a good or a 'name and date' reference. Nothing in the middle ground/grey zone.
so should I just lame duck and not call back, then if I'm pursued, just say that "Our policy is only to confirm dates of employment"?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I believe it is more for litigation mitigation reasons. Providing a negative 'opinion' that prevents someone from getting a job opens you up for a lawsuit. When working at GE the company policy was that employees were not to be used as references, provide letters of recommendation. That put me in a ****ty situation when looking for a job as most of my professional career was spent at GE. I used references that had retired or left the company.

the law

Monkey
Jun 25, 2002
where its at
The biggest reason you can get into trouble with giving negative references is that someone may argue that your statements were misrepresentations or lies. You probably could answer whether you would hire them again, but you are better of not saying anything other than the dates of employment and position.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
so should I just lame duck and not call back, then if I'm pursued, just say that "Our policy is only to confirm dates of employment"?
I would do that, or if you have an HR department, I would forward the call to them. They could then do the whole "date of employment" dealio.

EDIT: the question you need to ask yourself is (as Jimmydean and the law referenced): would you rehire the person? If not, then do what you have to do without putting you or your organization in potential hot water.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
We have the plow infrastructure to handle it. I think KC cheaps out on plows since it happens less there. That would be my guess...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You can't give a negative review, unfortunately... I would leave it with 'we didn't try to keep her here, and won't be asking her to come back'.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
There is a guy I work with here who used to be a supervisor in Denver. The reason he is no longer in that position is that another airline called about two people he had previously supervised and he gave them both note worthy negative reviews. Some how, word got back to the two former employees in question and they both lawyerd up. HR decided it was best for said supervisor to no longer be a supervisor to avoid litigation.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Found some surprisingly good snow over at Alpine Meadows on Saturday. Guess that just proves that Alpine > Squaw when snow is scarce.

I'm really liking the combined Squaw/Alpine ticket situation.

It was a good movie IMO but it is not for those who have a short attention span.

If you are gonna see it go see it in theaters and get really high before hand. There were a lot of visually spectacular, acid trippy scenes which will not have the same impact on the small screen.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Well......... Co worker bought my Motorcycle today...... he bought it the hard way though. He layed it down and totalled it..... He totalled teh **** out of it too....... Looks like he is mostly ok, gonna need surgery to put his hand back together but walked away........

**** happens, glad I have insurance

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Well......... Co worker bought my Motorcycle today...... he bought it the hard way though. He layed it down and totalled it..... He totalled teh **** out of it too....... Looks like he is mostly ok, gonna need surgery to put his hand back together but walked away........

**** happens, glad I have insurance
Wow. He didn't even make it a day. That's special.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Wow. He didn't even make it a day. That's special.
Well he thinks he is fixing it for me...... he does not know he is actually purchasing it yet..... Fact is, I cannot take the value loss..... He is gonna have to buy it, fix it, and either ride the hell out of it or sell it for as much as he can..... **** happens, I wanted a bigger bike anwyays.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Well he thinks he is fixing it for me...... he does not know he is actually purchasing it yet..... Fact is, I cannot take the value loss..... He is gonna have to buy it, fix it, and either ride the hell out of it or sell it for as much as he can..... **** happens, I wanted a bigger bike anwyays.
i'm gonna go ahead and say you guys are gonna wind up on judge judy/joe brown / etc