Quantcast

>>>Monday GMT<<<

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Back at the cube farm.:dead:

At least getting the kids dressed and out the door for school/daycare wasn't as bad as anticipated.

It's cold outside. 1°F outside, before windchill.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
Coffee in hand not going to work their ever again.......8 years of high six figure and low seven figure profits on all projects, yet the boss/owner always says "no money for raises and bonuses cuz!" as he drives his A8s through a muddy rutted up job site like its ATV no fvcks given

Seven degrees F and a north wind. Waiting for six year old battery to be replaced in my Fit. Gave manager at dealership some feedback regarding the "battery check" performed in service just prior to Christmas. I guess I should get out and ride so as to maintain my unbroken riding record for this year to date...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Coffee in hand not going to work their ever again.......8 years of high six figure and low seven figure profits on all projects, yet the boss/owner always says "no money for raises and bonuses cuz!" as he drives his A8s through a muddy rutted up job site like its ATV no fvcks given
what exactly do you do Cecil?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Good on ya.

I applied for 4 jobs yesterday.

It is time...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
This morning was the biggest struggle to get up and move. And holy tits is it cold!

Getting absolutely railed with phone calls and emails. :banghead:

On the bright side, the commute was event free this morning and there was a rainbow.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Back to the anger factory. So far only making apathy but I am sure things will get fired up by lunch.

So they replace the battery. And tell me my inspection sticker's expired (the car was in for maintenance last month). And there's no current registration sticker on the plate. I pay up and go look. Sticker on plate expires in 2017. Now I'm waiting for them to finish inspection, and I just had another conversation with the manager. I think they should buy me beer.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Funny. I had a boss do the same thing, then tell us about the new R8 he had just ordered.

"But this one will have the V10. Only a handful will make it to Canada"

Congrats, asshole! This was a few years ago, though.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
what exactly do you do Cecil?
Manage commercial construction projects, new builds or remodels from planning board approval, architectal review, bid out and award to every trade to every tenant open for buisness the smallest project I did for them was a 6 million dollar ground up Mercedes dealership we got an award from mercedes for. mostly $10-12 million dollar shopping malls. Then to add insult to injury he is a partner in all the shopping malls so not only does he make money off construction (I see all the numbers) he buys distressed properties and once the capitol improvement is complete the value of property and equity increases. ...its a family run company they are greedy they think a $1,000 bonus thrown into you paycheck that gets taxed like overtime is acceptable then he buys 6 brand new snowmobiles over the phone with the company amex in front of his 4 main employees at the Xmas party then totals his and buys another one.....normally I would say its none of my business but he is bragging to me about it...
Sorry for book...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Today is my last day of winter vacation, I have an appointment with an LPN to begin the suggested battery of tests I should have started 10 years ago...

Thumbs up to the monkies who are actively doing something about the jobs they hate but caution against the cold turkey approach. As so e one who hires I always ask why an applicant is presently unemployed - I would rather hire someone who got fed up and is looking for alternative employment. I am less excited about those who simply got fed up and quit, regardless of reason. Jobs are about problem solving - removing oneself from a bad job situation without having a new job lined up could be viewed as impulsive. At the very least you should always give notice.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Howdy all. I do not despise my work, and am thankful for this. We have bylaws that at least 50% of department profit has to be paid out as bonuses to us, and the rest doesn't go to the chairman's MX bike fund but instead goes towards internal grant funds and the like.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
Today is my last day of winter vacation, I have an appointment with an LPN to begin the suggested battery of tests I should have started 10 years ago...

Thumbs up to the monkies who are actively doing something about the jobs they hate but caution against the cold turkey approach. As so e one who hires I always ask why an applicant is presently unemployed - I would rather hire someone who got fed up and is looking for alternative employment. I am less excited about those who simply got fed up and quit, regardless of reason. Jobs are about problem solving - removing oneself from a bad job situation without having a new job lined up could be viewed as impulsive. At the very least you should always give notice.
I have yet to see an employer give an employee 2 weeks notice when letting them go, just saying.....

The guy does not pay his bills we are out 120 days or more on every contractor payments because he spends all the money buying into development deals. I call around to get bids on jobs all I hear is "you guys don't pay your bills, we are not interested in bidding"

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Manage commercial construction projects, new builds or remodels from planning board approval, architectal review, bid out and award to every trade to every tenant open for buisness the smallest project I did for them was a 6 million dollar ground up Mercedes dealership we got an award from mercedes for. mostly $10-12 million dollar shopping malls. Then to add insult to injury he is a partner in all the shopping malls so not only does he make money off construction (I see all the numbers) he buys distressed properties and once the capitol improvement is complete the value of property and equity increases. ...its a family run company they are greedy they think a $1,000 bonus thrown into you paycheck that gets taxed like overtime is acceptable then he buys 6 brand new snowmobiles over the phone with the company amex in front of his 4 main employees at the Xmas party then totals his and buys another one.....normally I would say its none of my business but he is bragging to me about it...
Sorry for book...
you should play the ipecac game with him

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Happy Monday everyone! As promised last week, the line has formed outside City Hall of people wanting to apply for recreational marijuana businesses. :drag:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Work. Market is down 2.5%. Whee!

Discussed SUV with Wifey again. She is no longer set on the Highlander, as she doesn't like how the new one looks. She finally looked at the Land Cruiser and likes it. Given it is a true 300k car (when maintained), the additional up front cost isn't an issue. She also said that she doesn't want to sell the Subie. She wants me to keep it as a DD and garage queen the ///M.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Work. Market is down 2.5%. Whee!

Discussed SUV with Wifey again. She is no longer set on the Highlander, as she doesn't like how the new one looks. She finally looked at the Land Cruiser and likes it. Given it is a true 300k car (when maintained), the additional up front cost isn't an issue. She also said that she doesn't want to sell the Subie. She wants me to keep it as a DD and garage queen the ///M.
when ///Maintained.

does the land cruiser have a vanos?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
when ///Maintained.

does the land cruiser have a vanos?
Series 100 Land Cruisers have a timing belt, with 90k service intervals. 200s have a chain. Series 100s also have the option of air suspension, which can crap out eventually (but certainly not with the near-unity probability of those on Range Rovers). I don't know of any other common issues.

My last-year-100 has the air suspension and is trucking along just fine at >130k miles, fwiw. The only problem with it is that one center console backlight (for the rear defroster) has a bulb out. Everything else works... as it should.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I have yet to see an employer give an employee 2 weeks notice when letting them go, just saying.....
Unless there is a performance issue we typically give 90 days warning on a job elimination, 1 week of severance for each year worked and COBRA benifits.

If you worked for me and weren't performing adequately you would have at least 120 days after being informed of the issue to demontrate improvement. In fact, you would have received this message and signed off on it 3 times before dismissal would occur: "if immediate and sustained improvement is not seen within XXL amount of time further corrective action up to and including termination may result".

Carrying dead weight for few months is almost always cheaper than a lawsuit and it keeps you out of conference calls with HD and Legal. :)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Series 100 Land Cruisers have a timing belt, with 90k service intervals. 200s have a chain. Series 100s also have the option of air suspension, which can crap out eventually (but certainly not with the near-unity probability of those on Range Rovers). I don't know of any other common issues.

My last-year-100 has the air suspension and is trucking along just fine at >130k miles, fwiw. The only problem with it is that one center console backlight (for the rear defroster) has a bulb out. Everything else works... as it should.
that was more a jab at ///Stoney's ///Maintenace track record.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Unless there is a performance issue we typically give 90 days warning on a job elimination, 1 week of severance for each year worked and COBRA benifits.

If you worked for me and weren't performing adequately you would have at least 120 days after being informed of the issue to demontrate improvement. In fact, you would have received this message and signed off on it 3 times before dismissal would occur: "if immediate and sustained improvement is not seen within XXL amount of time further corrective action up to and including termination may result".

Carrying dead weight for few months is almost always cheaper than a lawsuit and it keeps you out of conference calls with HD and Legal. :)
When I was at GE they called it the Personal Improvement Plan. It was generally a good idea to start looking for a job immediately upon being entered into the PIP. No one ever made it out alive. It was generally the documentation process for getting fired and avoiding the lawsuit. There was no interest in turning you into a good employee. People who fell into the PIP came from two categories. Morons who had gutless managers that told them they were doing a great job. Then there would be a re-organization and said moron would get a new boss that recognized them as morons. This was always rather ugly because the morons usually spent decades thinking they were doing great work. None of them ever had the mental ability or adaptability to become good employees and usually finished the PIP with a pink slip.

The second type of person who got the PIP were generally good employees but they too ended up with new bosses after a re-org. In this case the new boss hated them for one reason or another. These folks had the ability to become good employees but it didn't matter, the deck was stacked against them. They usually saw the writing on the wall and found new jobs before they got the ax.

If you under-performed but were fairly liked you got culled in the 18 month layoff cycle. With this you walked with nice severance and other benefits. It was the companies way of thinning the herd.