Quantcast

$&Monday GMT$&

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Up early for a swim.

Want to kill myself due to being itchy. It was enough to wake me up this morning. I acquired dozens of sand flea bites while in Puerto Rico and all of them got irritated over the last day. If this ends up anything like my reaction to poison oak, it's going to take weeks to get better. Hopefully the chlorine will help dry them out a bit.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Pulled out the gas tank on the old volvo over the weekend. Found a crack where it had been dented. Welded in a patch panel. I have so much confidence in my welding ability that it got coated with epoxy on both sides to ensure it will not leak.

Impossible to motivate myself for work. Awaiting results of drug screen and background check before I can officially quite. They say it can take a couple of weeks. Will be the most painful few weeks of my life.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Went skiing on Friday with the wifey and a fellow monkey (and it was extremely windy).
Did absolutely nothing on Saturday and it was everything I hoped it would be.
Watched soccer and worked on stuff around the house on Sunday.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Howdy!

I witnessed something hilarious this morning. Some dude in a Honda Civic drove straight over a median on a side street. Said median is in place to prevent people from making left turns out of a parking lot. I guess he saw no other option but to go straight up and over the curbs???? :crazy::rofl:

Time for this work thing...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I think enough snow has been removed from the streets, and my calf has healed enough to try running in to work again tomorrow. It's nice and brisk out there today. I'd rather not be at work. have a good one y'all.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
:stupid:

3,000 yards at 2:16 swim pace for me. Still slow as hell by triathlete standards, but my longest (tie) and fastest yet. Three months ago I was at a 2:45 pace, so I'm getting there (that's probably the roadie equivalent of 12 mph vs 15 mph).
Is that by 100yd? I did 2k this morning at a blisteringly slow 9:45/500 yd pace. It was an embarrassingly slow pace. I need to get back down into the mid-7's range.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Calendar is shockingly open until a board meeting at 4. I wonder if I can force myself to be productive? I know one thing - I've got coffee! Looking ahead, not really any ride time possibru this week; next week, however, is ripe with potential for absenteeism and mountains time.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Yeah, that's per 100 yards.

lolololol it takes me 12:30 to do 500 yards.
Go to the Speedo Youtube page. They have a lot of good videos about how to swim more efficiently. I bet if you got a decent above and below water video, JonKranked could critique as he's a really good swimmer.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Go to the Speedo Youtube page. They have a lot of good videos about how to swim more efficiently. I bet if you got a decent above and below water video, JonKranked could critique as he's a really good swimmer.
Indeed...I've watched a bunch of those Speedo videos. I've also had one on one coaching sessions and I swim twice a week with a masters group. I'm getting there. A year ago I could not swim 50 yards without stopping. I'll be happy if I can become an average swimmer this year. It'll take years to get good.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Let me know if you anchors need swim tips. I went to college on swim scholarship.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Pulled out the gas tank on the old volvo over the weekend. Found a crack where it had been dented. Welded in a patch panel. I have so much confidence in my welding ability that it got coated with epoxy on both sides to ensure it will not leak.

Impossible to motivate myself for work. Awaiting results of drug screen and background check before I can officially quite. They say it can take a couple of weeks. Will be the most painful few weeks of my life.
Are you moving away from VA? I was in Charlottesville Saturday and hand some good beers on Cardinal Hall. Hope to be back down in April.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Are you moving away from VA? I was in Charlottesville Saturday and hand some good beers on Cardinal Hall. Hope to be back down in April.
If all goes to plan I am outta here. The rate at which things are moving, I may still be here in April.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
First two rides in weeks this weekend. Had the old 26 hardtail with flats--it was a fun sufferfest. Despite fairly regular riding the trainer in my basement and doing a fair bit of resistance training (not to mention an enormous amount of shovel and rogue hoe swinging) I am in stupendously shitty condition when it comes to riding a MTB on trails. More shitty weather this week means I'll be back to digging/cutting trail and heavy bourbon consumption next weekend. At least my liver is kicking ass....

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Indeed...I've watched a bunch of those Speedo videos. I've also had one on one coaching sessions and I swim twice a week with a masters group. I'm getting there. A year ago I could not swim 50 yards without stopping. I'll be happy if I can become an average swimmer this year. It'll take years to get good.
It took me about 2-3 months to get my breathing and arm efficiency down, but once I did my times dropped quickly.

I am not getting a good pull with my left arm. Please fix.
My left clavicle is not attached to my shoulder. It makes it very hard to have a solid pivot point to keep my left are from shimmying in the water. But I feel you.

Let me know if you anchors need swim tips. I went to college on swim scholarship.
Thanks. Buddy of mine was an Olympic backup for Polo and he has worked with me pretty extensively. I'm way out of shape and my back strength is abysmal currently, so I would expect it to come back once I get back up to 3 swims per week. I got down to 32 min for a 1.2 mile open water swim, so give or take 8 min pace, which I was happy with. That put me into the upper 10% of my age group. Cutting 1-2 min off the swim will hurt me energy-wise far more than trying to drop 1-2 min off the run or bike. I can make up 30 sec of that with a good transition.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
plum smuggler.

my best time for 500yds was right around 6 min. endurance swimmer i was not.
Hot damn. Even full sprint workouts I am struggling to get to the 7:30 range and it feels like my heart is going to explode.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Howdy all. I used to swim, too, way back in the day. Now I'm nicely rounded like a seal, no? :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hot damn. Even full sprint workouts I am struggling to get to the 7:30 range and it feels like my heart is going to explode.
granted that time was when i had been swimming year round for about 3 years, and during fall winter that was 9 swim workouts a week.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
granted that time was when i had been swimming year round for about 3 years, and during fall winter that was 9 swim workouts a week.
Ah yes. Like when I was training somewhere around 35 hours per week while rowing. I like to refer to it as my "god physique" period because I couldn't keep weight on if I tried. 225lbs and somewhere around 6% body fat. Those who know me now would probably piss themselves laughing if they tried to imagine skinny me. I cannot even FATHOM being built like that ever again. Honestly, I'd be happy for get the fat levels below 20% at 200lbs.

Wifey didn't believe it ever occurred until a random picture showed up on my Dad's screen saver when we were visiting (he has something like 15k pictures on random cycle). Even still we've never found another picture and have no idea which photo is was.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
one piece of advice, if you're still struggling with form, that's gonna be a major hindrance. dedicate at least 1 swim a week on focusing on JUST FORM.
I try. I've got paddles that have helped with my stroke. I can't/don't kick because it levers my back, so I'm full drag at that pace. If I'm kicking I'm probably no more an a 2-pace (if I'm describing that correctly).