Quantcast

***Monday GMT***

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
At work. Someone went to brew a new pot of coffee; put the filter and coffee in the machine, but didn't hit the go button. I need to find this individual and tell him to always remember try it now.

For going to bed earlier last night, I sure do feel tired as hell.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

great solo ride yesterday. parked at the bottom of a climb, explored uncharted territory, almost all of which was meandering single track. Very nice. It was cool and slightly overcast and all the rain we got only made the trails super tacky. I think I missed peak trillium though...

I used strava for the first time yesterday... I installed it for my commute as the City said it would study heat maps to see where people ride, but figured I see what all the fuss was about and turned it on for my ride yesterday. Now I understand why most of my buddies have become so obsessed with being fast, to the point where they choose trails that are smooth and easy; the idea of riding technical, demanding lines is lost on them now. The damn program tells you how you rank on segments all-time, this year, that day etc... they're always on their phones after the rides checking out stats... so dissapointing. At least I was solo yesterday and could stop and take pictures, or hammer the descents, explore trails and have a grand ol' time.

Hope everyone has a productive week...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

great solo ride yesterday. parked at the bottom of a climb, explored uncharted territory, almost all of which was meandering single track. Very nice. It was cool and slightly overcast and all the rain we got only made the trails super tacky. I think I missed peak trillium though...

I used strava for the first time yesterday... I installed it for my commute as the City said it would study heat maps to see where people ride, but figured I see what all the fuss was about and turned it on for my ride yesterday. Now I understand why most of my buddies have become so obsessed with being fast, to the point where they choose trails that are smooth and easy; the idea of riding technical, demanding lines is lost on them now. The damn program tells you how you rank on segments all-time, this year, that day etc... they're always on their phones after the rides checking out stats... so dissapointing. At least I was solo yesterday and could stop and take pictures, or hammer the descents, explore trails and have a grand ol' time.

Hope everyone has a productive week...

Choosing trails strictly because of Strava is silly. I could careless where I rank with all the other random peoples, but IMO it is cool to compare to friends. A bunch of us all use Strava, but we never ever say "hey...we should hit this easy trail to get a good Strava time dudes".....that'd get someone pushed down the nearest hill and have their beer and bbq privileges taken away post-ride.

You guys didn't get any cold weather?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Feel quite exhausted this morning. I cannot recall even having an okay night of sleep once in the last 3 weeks. Kinda wishing it would stop as I am in a constant state of fatigue and lethargy. Oh well, off to Monday I go...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Choosing trails strictly because of Strava is silly. I could careless where I rank with all the other random peoples, but IMO it is cool to compare to friends. A bunch of us all use Strava, but we never ever say "hey...we should hit this easy trail to get a good Strava time dudes".....that'd get someone pushed down the nearest hill and have their beer and bbq privileges taken away post-ride.

You guys didn't get any cold weather?
It's more insidious than "let's choose easy trails because of Strava"... it's more along the lines that they try and play to their strengths. And since they have little talent for the tricky bits, they prefer to ride the trails they do well on. This is normal I think, we all do it to some extent (this is why I prefer technical, tricky trails). But I find it's gotten worse over the past couple of years, and coincides with the advent of Strava in the group. Maybe the effect will fade a bit...

I also think they movement to "flow trails" has a part in this trend. When putting together a route, they really seek out the downhills that have been smoothed out for optimum flow... Whereas I'm always trying to piece together a ride that takes in the gnarlier descents.

I think getting old might also have something to do with it...

Yeah, it was cool yesterday (around 7°C) but not cold enough to snow... so weird that the GTA got the cooler weather for once! (though we did get a frost advisory last night - we've had to bring the flowers in like 4 times so far this may....)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It's more insidious than "let's choose easy trails because of Strava"... it's more along the lines that they try and play to their strengths. And since they have little talent for the tricky bits, they prefer to ride the trails they do well on. This is normal I think, we all do it to some extent (this is why I prefer technical, tricky trails). But I find it's gotten worse over the past couple of years, and coincides with the advent of Strava in the group. Maybe the effect will fade a bit...

I also think they movement to "flow trails" has a part in this trend. When putting together a route, they really seek out the downhills that have been smoothed out for optimum flow... Whereas I'm always trying to piece together a ride that takes in the gnarlier descents.

I think getting old might also have something to do with it...

Yeah, it was cool yesterday (around 7°C) but not cold enough to snow... so weird that the GTA got the cooler weather for once! (though we did get a frost advisory last night - we've had to bring the flowers in like 4 times so far this may....)
Good points there. I'm with you on finding the more technical stuff. Those trails are a lot more fun than riding trails that you could do on a cross bike.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Made it to my friends place outside Tacoma yesterday. Close to 3000 miles in 3 days. If nothing else, my GTI has some really nice seats.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Morning all! I took Friday off to ride McKenzie River Trail . Anyone who has ever ridden it will attest to its awesomeness. i cleaned almost everything, just had to hop off once for a damn hiker that just stood there staring at me. Grrrrrrr. Anywho...carry on.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
jokes on me, back pain has returned in full force. currently on the phone trying to get an appt with my physiatrist. :stosh:
Once solved, this is a great "excuse" to the wife/kid to go riding more. You need it to stretch your back and to prevent further old-man syndrome. :busted:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
This coming Friday looks like 75 and sunny. Took the day off to ride and golf with a friend that has every other Friday off. Don't hate it.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Morning all! I took Friday off to ride McKenzie River Trail . Anyone who has ever ridden it will attest to its awesomeness. i cleaned almost everything, just had to hop off once for a damn hiker that just stood there staring at me. Grrrrrrr. Anywho...carry on.
reminds me of a time coming down one of the rougher parts of black mtn in pisgah and a hiker calls out incredulously "is that really fun?" to whch i replied "yesssssssssss".

awaiting news of whether car prob will be covered under warranty. repair will be $$$. i missed service windows by a good amount, so i'm fearing "no."

younger kid is sick too.

i think this calls for a beer or four at lunch.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
It is 47 degrees out today here in Maine. Like a complete dumb ass, I wore shorts to work.

Have my gear with me to ride tonight. Might say fuck that and do trail work instead. I have till 4 to decide.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Tacoma is the one place where I lived for the most contiguous years in my life thus far.

I still have the EbolaSARS. WTF, immune system?

Flying DEN -> NRT tomorrow. Today is my last day of work until June 1.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
i've been riding xc/trail once a week or so the last few months, plus getting the cx/road bike out on the local rail trails. didn't bother me. i've been climbing too. didn't bother me. as soon as i got on the DH bike, boom.
Bro, you've gone full enderpo, bro.

So more riding in general is needed :D

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Work.

Swam 1000yds this morning. Feeling slow and out of shape, which I am. Changed my race group for next month's race to Clydesdale.

Ran 6 miles yesterday with Layla. She was pretty good and made the full run, but I stopped about every mile for her to rest. The side tongue gave away that she was gassing. She too is a bit overweight, so it's team Fatboy training.

When to Cars and Coffee on Saturday with Haley, because she loves the car show. She will walk up to cars and can pick out most badges now. Watched a funny dialogue about my car. We had just gotten out of the car and a bunch of late-teen/early-20's guys walked buy. One chuckled and pointed out the "family car". His buddy stepped in and went on a rant about how wrong he was. Conversation went somewhat along these lines:

Flat bill: "Check out the family car"

Flat bill's friend: "Shut your shit. This thing is legendary. That's an e39 M5; the one they always talk about on Jalopnik. That's a 400hp V8. Look at the size of the rubber and all the Dinan stuff; it's probably way faster than that. Guarantee it's faster than your car in every form.

Haley: "My car's really fast."

I chuckled as the flat bill moved along. Talked with the friend for a while. That kid is chomping at the bit to get one once he can get a place with a garage.

Haley had her swim competition Saturday as well. Didn't go well. She went into angry cry mode because she wanted me to swim with her. The event folks said that I could swim ahead of her (had my trunks on), but she was at hysterical and wouldn't listen to me. Took 10min to calm her down and when she asked if I could swim with her, she was pretty upset that it was too late to race. Knowing her speed, she would have killed it by a lot. Apparently the weekly swim lessons for the last year have been pretty beneficial. I'm pretty sure her response had to do with her being tired though. She doesn't normally take naps on the weekend and she was out within 3min of getting into the car afterwards.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Really cold morning. This
Was just talking about that trail with my friend from Seattle. I need to go out there and ride with him again.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Work.

Swam 1000yds this morning. Feeling slow and out of shape, which I am. Changed my race group for next month's race to Clydesdale.

Ran 6 miles yesterday with Layla. She was pretty good and made the full run, but I stopped about every mile for her to rest. The side tongue gave away that she was gassing. She too is a bit overweight, so it's team Fatboy training.

When to Cars and Coffee on Saturday with Haley, because she loves the car show. She will walk up to cars and can pick out most badges now. Watched a funny dialogue about my car. We had just gotten out of the car and a bunch of late-teen/early-20's guys walked buy. One chuckled and pointed out the "family car". His buddy stepped in and went on a rant about how wrong he was. Conversation went somewhat along these lines:

Flat bill: "Check out the family car"

Flat bill's friend: "Shut your shit. This thing is legendary. That's an e39 M5; the one they always talk about on Jalopnik. That's a 400hp V8. Look at the size of the rubber and all the Dinan stuff; it's probably way faster than that. Guarantee it's faster than your car in every form.

Haley: "My car's really fast."

I chuckled as the flat bill moved along. Talked with the friend for a while. That kid is chomping at the bit to get one once he can get a place with a garage.

Haley had her swim competition Saturday as well. Didn't go well. She went into angry cry mode because she wanted me to swim with her. The event folks said that I could swim ahead of her (had my trunks on), but she was at hysterical and wouldn't listen to me. Took 10min to calm her down and when she asked if I could swim with her, she was pretty upset that it was too late to race. Knowing her speed, she would have killed it by a lot. Apparently the weekly swim lessons for the last year have been pretty beneficial. I'm pretty sure her response had to do with her being tired though. She doesn't normally take naps on the weekend and she was out within 3min of getting into the car afterwards.

You clearly need to travel with a plaque describing the virtues of the ///M Factor.