Quantcast

***Monday GMT***

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I second that unemployment sounds like the best sort of therapy for all of us, provided we're financially independent already… right, guys?

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
dang son. i average one ride every 2 weeks, not counting putzing around with the kids. i cherish every mile though. dork logger says 17 rides so far this year. more than half in the mountains, though, so there's that...

anniversary today-18 yrs. it'll be low key, as tomorrow is the 10yo's bday.

still drinking coffee.
Sorry to hear not much bike time

I'm at 72 rides and 1689 so far this year and I feel I'm not getting out enough

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
What spots are you hitting? I have done a tour and it was glorious.
We're heading straight to Squampton to start, then working our way east to Calgary over the span of a couple weeks or so. The dude I'm going with is a Newfie that lived in Calgary for a while, and has a good idea of what we're gonna try and hit. So far Fernie, Golden, Revelstoke, Squamish, and several others have all been discussed. The only thing I'd really like to ride is Mount Seven in Golden, I've been reading about it for 20 years. Otherwise, I'm just following the Canuck.

You cannot even *imagine* how ambivalent about this I am.

Meh x eleven billionty.
Totally eleventy billionty.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
We're heading straight to Squampton to start, then working our way east to Calgary over the span of a couple weeks or so. The dude I'm going with is a Newfie that lived in Calgary for a while, and has a good idea of what we're gonna try and hit. So far Fernie, Golden, Revelstoke, Squamish, and several others have all been discussed. The only thing I'd really like to ride is Mount Seven in Golden, I've been reading about it for 20 years. Otherwise, I'm just following the Canuck.

Totally eleventy billionty.
Nice, I did not make it to Golden. I really Williams Lake which I had never heard about before but it had the most natural out in wild nature trails that I rode on the trip.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
there's an inverse proportion of riding time to alcohol consumed as the number of kids increases. add a multiplier of 2 for each boy.

despite less riding time, i think the quality of my rides has increased (more mtn/gnar time) and my riding is probably at a higher level overall, even if my fitness is not at its peak.

home early while wife takes 10yo for annual checkup. installed new bottom bracket, drinking beers, about to battle 6yo in mario kart.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Chairman just stopped by my office randomly. He was in the hall looking for a new faculty member (whom I haven't met and he admitted he doesn't know what he looks like either :D). Good thing I didn't skip out already, eh?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Chairman just stopped by my office randomly. He was in the hall looking for a new faculty member (whom I haven't met and he admitted he doesn't know what he looks like either :D). Good thing I didn't skip out already, eh?
Did you do you best to look busy?

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Did you do you best to look busy?
We chatted about this and that. He's actually a reasonable person to chat with despite having to wear a suit each day (I, in my office, wore just a button up short sleeve shirt with no tie but he didn't give me flack). He drives a pre-AMG G Wagen and rides dirt bikes now and then, for example.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I just have two pieces of titanium hardware tapped into my skull. :rockout:

That should put a damper on my riding for 48 hours exactly. :panic: Luckily new bike parts just arrived so some of the idle time will be well spent (and some will be spent on airplanes and airports :shakefist:.) Anyone at ORD tomorrow evening?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I just have two pieces of titanium hardware tapped into my skull. :rockout:

That should put a damper on my riding for 48 hours exactly. :panic: Luckily new bike parts just arrived so some of the idle time will be well spent (and some will be spent on airplanes and airports :shakefist:.) Anyone at ORD tomorrow evening?
WTF happened to you???

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
We chatted about this and that. He's actually a reasonable person to chat with despite having to wear a suit each day (I, in my office, wore just a button up short sleeve shirt with no tie but he didn't give me flack). He drives a pre-AMG G Wagen and rides dirt bikes now and then, for example.
So... Colorado? Gotcha.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
So... Colorado? Gotcha.
I'd venture that the subset of hospital department chairmen and those that ride dirt bikes on the weekend is small. Possibly n=1. Not being a golfer is high praise in this group.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I assume this means a dentist is out looking at new bikes?
Pretty much. I don't think he liked my joke "I feel like a gold mine" much when he was hammering one in.

He is quite a nice guy though and actually interested in riding again (used to ride long time ago in WA state), but afraid of hurting his hands.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Pretty much. I don't think he liked my joke "I feel like a gold mine" much when he was hammering one in.

He is quite a nice guy though and actually interested in riding again (used to ride long time ago in WA state), but afraid of hurting his hands.
Back in the day I used to ride with a dentist and oral surgeon who were buds. The dentist was a super fast road racer and sported the first Pinarella Prince I'd ever seen. He didn't ride trails that much but bombed the fire roads along the Olympic peninsula at road bike speeds which is where he crashed pretty big breaking both a leg and an arm, he was greatful not to have damaged his hands which is a common fear among those who practice the dental arts.

Also - I rode with both of these dentists twice a week for nearly 6 years - they were both stand up guys who made good use of their expensive toys.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Fox Transfer dropper installed and it seems nice. Why they did not make the thumb button on the remote a tiny bit bigger is a mystery to me though.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Took a long lunch at the lbs, installed my new fork on the SS. Hilarious times when the lbs is a zoo and people start asking me questions because I am holding wrenches.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Back in the day I used to ride with a dentist and oral surgeon who were buds. The dentist was a super fast road racer and sported the first Pinarella Prince I'd ever seen. He didn't ride trails that much but bombed the fire roads along the Olympic peninsula at road bike speeds which is where he crashed pretty big breaking both a leg and an arm, he was greatful not to have damaged his hands which is a common fear among those who practice the dental arts.

Also - I rode with both of these dentists twice a week for nearly 6 years - they were both stand up guys who made good use of their expensive toys.
I hear this argument a lot for an excuse not to do certain things that could be risky, blah, blah, blah...

Dentist skill sets and jewelry skills are very similar. Both require precision and dexterity unlike many other professions. And yes injuring your hands is not a desirable outcome for those that practice these skills as a livelihood. However it's not the end of your career if you do hurt your hands. I started working in a dental lab about a week or so after breaking my middle finger mountain biking. Had it in a splint and was able to work just fine.

I try not to do overly stupid or risky things with my hands, but I don't let it keep me from having fun either.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I have adequate life and disability insurance alike. 'tis a good idea, methinks.