Quantcast

***Monday GMT***

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ugh tired. Spent the evening at the hospital, kids fever hadn't broke so we had to get him checked out. Thankfully not pneumonia, just double ear infection. Did get home till midnight. If course kid was up at his normal time. Work from home again. I seem to be coming down with something as well.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Balls cold this morning, I am not ready for the 30s yet. Also, these are probably the most important two weeks in the history of my team but I have difficulty focusing on anything at this moment.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Weekend plans went a bit awry on Friday night when we were cruising deep into the National Forest looking for a camp spot and ran across this little guy.

IMG_1889 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

No collar, no tags, a bit mangy and under weight with a broken leg and about to spend a night in freezing temperatures. Doubt she would have made it. We scooped her up, brought her home, fed and bathed her. Now the dilemma. She's chipped, though given where we found her (no dwellings within probably a 5 mile radius) everyone seems to think she was dumped. Do we contact the owners? Internet searches have found no missing dog postings anywhere in the vicinity.

Also, fall is here to stay:

20160924-DSC_1735 by Tim Souza, on Flickr

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
HBD @MMike !

@Adventurous : a dumb lost dog can cover 5 miles in no time, broken leg aside. I'd say definitely contact the chip people and at least let them know. If your dog got lost in the mountains you'd want to know she was found ok. Good on you for taking care.

Still have a cold. FTS already. I'm missing prime fun weather.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
@Adventurous....contact chip chip people if owners are douchebags and dumped her....publicly shame them on reddit/craigslist and keep dog...little fuckers like that can be the best dogs.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

So I had an unusual business experience on Saturday. As I had mentioned last week, my lovely wife had rented us a moto for Saturday with a plan to just wander. Got geared up, pick up time was 10, so we planned to get there early for pre ride inspection and paperwork. Roll up and see an Electra Glide and a Street Glide out front, I'm starting to get a little excited. Then I walked in and was ready to kill someone.

Turns out when you call to reserve a motorcycle, they might not even have one for you to rent. Not sure how that works exactly, because when my wife called and gave them her card info, they booked an Electra Glide for saturday. In the event they didn't have the Electra Glide, a Street Glide was an acceptable substitute. Not only do they not have an available Electra Glide, but all the Harley's are booked. As are the Indians. Seems they dooked out months in advance, so no idea why they would have booked a reservation. Then the guy behind the counter was surprised to see my displeasure with the situation. As if I should have known the reservation I paid for had no merit.

I just don't get how you can schedule a reservation either not knowing what is available, or book it regardless of the fact there is likely no bike available. Had she known, there are other places to call to see if they had one. But why would we book somewhere else when we have a reservation?

/birthdayrant

Still had a good weekend, f@ck those guys.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Mother F'er. It's supposed to be 108* here today. WTF is this shit. Electric bill might be a little high this month. On a side note, woke up at 4:45 and hit the gym this morning. The hardest part is just rolling out of bed. I need moar exercise.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
That's pretty shitty, jd. Happy belated bday, btw.

My neck is super sore, probably from my end over end crash. Lying down is a painful experience due to my neck muscles straining to hold my big ol' head up. This morning I'm chilling with Yuna while my wife sits at the hospital for a two hour glucose tolerance test.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Fun weekend in KT with some monkeys and non-monkeys. I tell ya whut, 3000 miles of road riding over the past 12 months gave me some crazy MTB endurance. I fuckin' felt like Superman. Thanks to splat for the pics!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
After talking about my ideas for my moto project and talking budget with the lady, she has agreed that it could likely start this winter after all. It seems that prices have fallen a great deal bellow blue book values and rather than getting a small loan for one, I could just save a bit longer and pay cash. If prices continue to fall (as they should with Winter coming) it could be the perfect time to score a solid ride to violate before spring thaw.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Weird weekend: got call Friday for jorb interview whist on Ferry to LI...for 8 am interview today! Luckily I have a flexible schedule!

Rest of W/E was spent at the NYS BMX Championships in Shoreham. Ripper of an event and reminded me of the skillz I need to keep up nowadays. Neither myself or kid qualified for our mains (OUCH!) but we still did OK - kiddo got 9th overall in 9 year old boys and I held onto 4th overall in NYS for 46-50 cruiser!

Yeahhhh, me in the back:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
@Adventurous....contact chip chip people if owners are douchebags and dumped her....publicly shame them on reddit/craigslist and keep dog...little fuckers like that can be the best dogs.
So this experience has taught me how the chip system works. When the vet reads the chip it just spits out the chip ID, which you then log onto the internet and can look up who the chip service provider is. You contact the service provider to alert them that you have recovered a dog and they then contact the owners. Unfortunately we have no way of obtaining the other people's contact information so it is difficult to infer their intentions through this channel.

That being said, we received a second veterinary opinion today and after x-rays it turns out she has a broken pelvis. It was the opinion of both vets that given the circumstances in which we found her, it was not an injury resulting from something that happened while she was lost. All signs are pointing to a dumped dog. We are waiting to hear back from the vet this afternoon on what the course of treatment would be for this little nugget. The point of no return is quickly approaching.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
That being said, we received a second veterinary opinion today and after x-rays it turns out she has a broken pelvis. It was the opinion of both vets that given the circumstances in which we found her, it was not an injury resulting from something that happened while she was lost. All signs are pointing to a dumped dog. We are waiting to hear back from the vet this afternoon on what the course of treatment would be for this little nugget. The point of no return is quickly approaching.
:(

I'll chip in on vet bills.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:(

I'll chip in on vet bills.
Me too. We are a fucking disgusting species.

My life seems to be in a free fall in the past few days, accelerated by people and events I have no power over. :dead:
Thanks fellas! I'll be setting up a GoFundMe page tonight for her. The only remedy at this point is surgery and it's looking like the remove-a-leg mod may be the best course of action. I suppose a 3-legged life is better than no life at all. I'll be sure to circulate the link once it's live.

Sorry to hear about the recent turn of events @StiHacka :(.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Just pushed through being sick for a week with a sluggish, slow, boring solo ride. Many things were coughed up. :s
Hopefully it will help me sleep later.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Fun weekend in KT with some monkeys and non-monkeys. I tell ya whut, 3000 miles of road riding over the past 12 months gave me some crazy MTB endurance. I fuckin' felt like Superman. Thanks to splat for the pics!

In my experience you only pedal about 60% the distance covered on a mountain bike and closer to 90% of the distance covered on a road bike.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Thanks fellas! I'll be setting up a GoFundMe page tonight for her. The only remedy at this point is surgery and it's looking like the remove-a-leg mod may be the best course of action. I suppose a 3-legged life is better than no life at all. I'll be sure to circulate the link once it's live.

Sorry to hear about the recent turn of events @StiHacka :(.
I can contribute as well.

One of these days you outta stop through.
Yeah, I should. My experience on the road is that I wind up passing all these friends, new and old, and manage to stop to visit few. Today I visited my MOL and brought her some goodies, then managed to get here as they were closing the office and it was getting dark and I was getting fried. Drivers on I287 are fucking nuts. That said, it has been a good trip so far.