Quantcast

***Monday GMT***

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Howdy.

Work is work. Blah.

Inside of my left knee is still in pain, but only when I go to get out of my chair. Sitting here and walking seems to be okay for the most part. Heal damnit! How long do I wait for the pain to go away before seeing the doc? My doc will be the emergency room, because I don't have a family doctor...derp.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
are you upgrading the shitter?
I've been needing to do that since I moved in. :rofl:

For those who don't know the area, Hillsboro is a suburb of Portland (and is where Intel is located) and has a large Mexican population due to the surrounding farms and because it is 30 minutes outside of Portland, the cost of living is also less. But this also makes it a great place to get legit mexican food. Beaverton has a few legit taco trucks (closer to Portland and is where Nike located).But for sit down or grocery, you have to hit Hillsboro.

<edit>

http://sucasasupermercado.com

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Uncooked tortillas at Costco. They are pretty legit. And it's like $6 for 50 of them.

Oh and I'm on 27.5. More just because it came that way.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Uncooked tortillas at Costco. They are pretty legit. And it's like $6 for 50 of them.
They sell them at Winco (10 pack of flour), I bought both the flour and the corn. They are damn good, but my wife likes to get hardcore about stuff like that. Like when I bought the pasta attachments for the Kitchenaid. :rofl:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
left work at 3. rode local trail that, despite being in the middle of the city, provides much rocky, rooty, twisty, jumpy fun. much statisfaction was had, especially because it was sunny and 70*. grabbing a few beers now before going to a seminar on kids and screen time. also just got a pack of founders breakfast stizzout...

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
More boot fitting. Wide feet are wide, and boots are gradually approximating them.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Leaving work at 5pm in total darkness sucks. Not sure if I am in the mood for dark cold night rides, yet. I shall work from home tomorrow and hit the trails before the winter sun sets.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Ugh. November is looking to be very expensive for the house:

We had to have a slab in the backyard lifted, as it supports the deck.
We need to get the deck stripped and stained.
Replacing subfloor and tiles in the basement bathroom and foyer because of the fucking cat.
Heater being replaced.
Ducts being cleaned.

I'm looking at a $10k month. I hate being a home owner. I want to cry.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

Replacing subfloor and tiles in the basement bathroom and foyer because of the fucking cat.
Heater being replaced.
Ducts being cleaned.

disaster-girl.jpg

De-thatched the van after the VA trip.

Put a tube in the rear tire I pinch flatted on a nice sharp rock on Tuscarora, lubed suspension. Put more air in the front tire, which was down to 14 PSIG. I suspect that the rear tire was someplace in that range, which may help to explain the pinch flat.

Went to meet Hilarie and cohorts at lunch, was confused 'cause no one was there, discovered I was an hour early, having failed to reset my watch for eastern stupid time.

Moved the R-Pod to its new, level, parking spot.

Took a ride with @Bunnista and Ruby.

It is now beer thirty.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Homeownership definitely has its drawbacks.
There was an interesting article this morning about rent vs buy in major metro areas. Portland had a 71% growth in rentals vs less than 10% growth in new home ownership. Some of this was attributed to posh rental properties, but the average home price was also a key factor.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

Heater being replaced.
Ducts being cleaned.

All that for just $10k? I want to live where you live.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
There was an interesting article this morning about rent vs buy in major metro areas. Portland had a 71% growth in rentals vs less than 10% growth in new home ownership. Some of this was attributed to posh rental properties, but the average home price was also a key factor.
I don't regret buying one bit, but there are times that it sucks balls. We had our pool pump shit out a few months ago, so basically no option but to get a new pump and filter. There went $2500. Can't let a pool go more than like 2-3 days without moving the water around, even with heavy chlorine. Of course it was the day before leaving for a 4 day weekend. Even stupid crap like broken sprinkler lines or hot water heaters always blow.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
All that for just $10k? I want to live where you live.
We had to have a slab in the backyard lifted, as it supports the deck. $800
We need to get the deck stripped and stained. $1200
Replacing subfloor and tiles in the basement bathroom and foyer because of the fucking cat. Pending, probably $2000
Heater being replaced. $4500
Ducts being cleaned. $500

That's what I'm at currently.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I don't regret buying one bit, but there are times that it sucks balls. We had our pool pump shit out a few months ago, so basically no option but to get a new pump and filter. There went $2500. Can't let a pool go more than like 2-3 days without moving the water around, even with heavy chlorine. Of course it was the day before leaving for a 4 day weekend. Even stupid crap like broken sprinkler lines or hot water heaters always blow.
The main concern right now in the Portland area is that prices have inflated to near record levels. While I know a house is a piss poor "investment" the fact is we could sell our 4/2.5 2200 sqft spot in the sticks for $280k (our neighbor listed his at $320k, but he's high) and would have to pay $400k for a 2/2 900 sqft bungalow anywhere remotely cool. While I don't care for my commute, it is cheaper to stay there than it would be to near double our house payment.

Out house is 15 years old and starting to fall apart.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Our house was built in '54, but is in good shape. I do my best to make sure the stuff that needs to gets taken care of does. We have a few projects that probably need attention with the wife's bonus this year. Our house just appraised for over 700K. We paid 625 a little over two years ago. I'm glad we upgraded when we did because our neighborhood is going crazy and wouldn't have been able to do it without the timing/equity from the old house. Most places have been selling for over listing. I have a gut feeling it's going to pop at some point, but who knows when or how much that will be.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Our house was built in '54, but is in good shape. I do my best to make sure the stuff that needs to gets taken care of does. We have a few projects that probably need attention with the wife's bonus this year. Our house just appraised for over 700K. We paid 625 a little over two years ago. I'm glad we upgraded when we did because our neighborhood is going crazy and wouldn't have been able to do it without the timing/equity from the old house. Most places have been selling for over listing. I have a gut feeling it's going to pop at some point, but who knows when or how much that will be.
my parents house was built in the 50's/60's....talk about a wifi killer.....

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Also, the wife was bitching about the meh tacos we made the other night (regular ground beef with spices added). So while we were out Sunday we went by a real Mexican grocery store (the one in SE is a joke) and they just happen to be having a killer meat sale. $2.99/lb for al pastor and asada. 3 lbs of pork al pastor and 2 pounds of carne asada, plus some fresh salsa and a few other random things you can only get there. Ever since I started using the uncooked tortillas, the usual ground beef "taco meat" just doesn't cut it.

Now the wife is shopping for a tortilla press. :rofl:
There is just no substitute for Tacos Mexicanos. Ortega don't get.

Tell her not to buy an aluminum press because they bend and don't make an even tortilla. Cast iron is much better and should be available at a local tienda. Fancy gourmet cooking stores sell them but at Lexus dealership prices.

Making tortillas and tacos is a fun and social thing that anyone can do in the kitchen.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
That's nosebleed prices for me. Our 4/3.5 2400ft was $277k when we bought it in '12. Realtor friend is quoting us $450k now. Wifey still wants to sell it to get a 5+ 3000ft, etc. Because I'd really have another $200k principle into a house...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Finally got something hunting. Tagged me an antelope today after hiking out about three and a half miles. Cutting straight across was just over three on the return trip with 75 pounds of antelope dragging behind. First mile on the return was very uphill across sage and scrub, then across the freshly plowed fields. Ended up seeing a wolf on the way out, coyotes were sitting and waiting for the gut pile and three of them decided to follow me quite a ways on the way out. Almost thought I was gonna have to drop the coyotes. What a day, lots of work, very over worked.