Quantcast

***Monday GMT***

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

It may be my friday today. Wife brought up the possibility of an LA trip. I say why not?

Edit: I also used regular milk this morning in my coffee and it kind of ruined it. Milk is gross. :think:

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Morning! No LA trips for this wicked man this week, just work and perhaps some riding. Last night was great for sleeping - cool with occasional rain. Hoping for a quiet day as there's a national holiday in India today.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
Spent yesterday exploring the east side of the Carrabassett Valley trails. Nice to ride terrain that is vastly different from my backyard. I also love back country loops that once you start it, you gotta finish it. Need to go back soon.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Ah yes back on the short bus for another fun filled work week... At least the heat wave broke, it's only supposed to get into the high seventies today. I predict multiple after work night rides this week. I need me some coffee.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Ate lots of grilled food and drank several brews over the weekend. I need to ride bikes a lot more often otherwise I might be a bit heavier by the end of summer.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
'Morning. I had a rare lousy night of sleep and now I am sleepy at my desk. This is going to be a long day. But I still dragged my lazy ass to the pool before work for a 3000 yard swim.

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
Not sure what today will bring, but at least I am down one child, as the youngest is off to summer camp for a week. then the wife and both children leave for a week in Annapolis. If the weather gods are good, then I will spend 3-4 days at the lake without my family, riding, fishing, boating, eating, swimming and drinking. All in heavy doses.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Off last week and digging out from a pile of shit I ignored--gonna suck. Did some trail work yesterday with @jackalope--landers always need moar bigness. Hoping to finish this thing sooner than later but damn it's been hot. Gonna hopefully sneak out for a spin this afternoon.

Photo evidence of digging.
IMG_4744.jpg

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Lift day yesterday. It was sweet. Got to see one of my long time buddies from NorCal, so it was good to ride together. Also managed to try out the gimbal. I have to say, pretty sweet right out of the box. Basically opened it up, charged the batteries and turned it on. There's one spot in this vid where it doesn't seem to track, but everything else is pretty smooth. This was on the chesty mount, Hero 3+, 48pfs 1080, on the medium FOV setting.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. New CX is in the shop already. The BB shell needs to be shaved down a few mm to get the crank to fully engage at the drop pin (Shimano) and the bushing for the brake cable barrel on my lever is cracked causing the brake to not fully release. Those are out of my tool and spare parts set, so off to the shop. It is nice for the labor discount, as they don't need to waste time diagnosing things, just fixing the issues.

I messed up Haley's paint again, this time it's not smooth. I'm at the FTS level and I'm putting it back together like that. Her new kid levers should be in on Tuesday, so I'm hoping to get it back together that evening and out for a ride on Wednesday. This ride is going to involve a basketball court until she gets used to the brakes.

Anybody have info on short cranks? I was thinking about getting an American > English bb conversion so that I can run a shorter pair of 3-piece cranks that we can increase over time. The difficulty centering the ring on the 1-piece crank also seriously screws with chain tension.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Anybody have info on short cranks? I was thinking about getting an American > English bb conversion so that I can run a shorter pair of 3-piece cranks that we can increase over time. The difficulty centering the ring on the 1-piece crank also seriously screws with chain tension.
probably more than you wanna spend but profile mini magnutanium go down to 145mm arms.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Safe on the ground here in Ho Chi Minh City. That was a long ass flight, especially with a baby going nuclear for 2.5 hours. Ugh. It's like 10:30 pm here, so off to bed I go!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Got the boys whip fixed and it appears to be holding, thank the FSM. Went to a weekend camping/music "festival" that was interesting. Stayed the night Friday, decided not to deal with the heat wave so we packed up Saturday and took the pooch to the beach instead.

Abbey wasn't too keen on the waves, she has limited exposure to water so far, so she wasn't too sure on the tide and wave situation. She did amazing, I got a 15' lead and kept her on it most of the time. Towards the end we played frisbee and she did awesome. She isn't too keen on the sand on the frisbee, or the ball. But again, this dog is incredible. Sunday she finally decided to jump into the kid pool and had a blast. She saw other dogs playing in the waves, so she gets the concept now.

It was 110 yesterday, that just sucks. I did not make it out to Gateway Green due to the heat. I hope to go on Sunday, but it is Blues Fest next weekend and only the wife knows who she wasn't to see.

Yay Monday. :fans:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
there normal race cranks go down to i think 160
I've found the Promax SQ-1 and Origin8 Alloy Crank Arm Set down to 135mm, I just need to figure out her length needed and then the BB size wanted. I think I have some 5-bolt rings floating around still.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I've found the Promax SQ-1 and Origin8 Alloy Crank Arm Set down to 135mm, I just need to figure out her length needed and then the BB size wanted. I think I have some 5-bolt rings floating around still.
These were the ones I was going to run on Lil Man's bike. Square taper 145mm for $45.

https://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/origin8-alloy-triple-bicycle-crank-arm-set-145mm

Slightly nicer 140mm for $50 (also come in black)

https://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/origin8-bmx-crankarm-set-140mm-110-bcd-forged-silver

Redline Microline 130mm for $70

https://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/redline-microline-crank-arm-set-130mm-square-black

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Thanks. That's two I didn't find already. I need to sort out the cost of a ring too. It might actually be cheaper to get something like this: https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/products/nx-1x-x-sync-crankset#sm.001nf5ts6ssefog101x1xpt8kped0 for $100, as it comes with a ring and bolts. Her bike is starting to get too nice though...

If I keep building this as a more mtn bike over time, this comes into play in a few years: http://www.mrpbike.com/rustler/

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
A 110 BCD makes for easy ring selection and you could get a set for cheap I'm sure.

Cost overruns on Lil Man's bike were a bit crazy. I am considering getting the 3 piece cranks again because the one piece seem to be a bit long and pedaling while seats makes his knees come WAY up. But $50+ for the arms, then either the $25 bottom bracket, or a american to euro conversion and euro bb for $40+, looking like $100 crankset. Ugh.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
A 110 BCD makes for easy ring selection and you could get a set for cheap I'm sure.

Cost overruns on Lil Man's bike were a bit crazy. I am considering getting the 3 piece cranks again because the one piece seem to be a bit long and pedaling while seats makes his knees come WAY up. But $50+ for the arms, then either the $25 bottom bracket, or a american to euro conversion and euro bb for $40+, looking like $100 crankset. Ugh.
Exactly. I also just spen $10 to have the Amerocan BB put back in, so that just eats into the cost too.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
the only reasonable solution is Flight cranks and Beartraps.

#oldguy
Bman and I joked about putting Beartraps or KKT lightnings on Lil Man's ride. :rofl:

He and I both have shin scars from pedals. KKT Lightnings were on a couple of my bikes back in the day. I also ran Redline Flights on a few bikes. Bman is partial to the Profiles.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Not sure about arms you can increase over time, but these are pretty affordable, 130 mm to 170 mm options:

http://www.jrbicycles.com/insight-square-alloy-crank-arm-set

EDIT: Even cheaper and down to 115 mm:
http://www.jrbicycles.com/sinz-aluminum-square-crank-32116

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Off last week and digging out from a pile of shit I ignored--gonna suck. Did some trail work yesterday with @jackalope--landers always need moar bigness. Hoping to finish this thing sooner than later but damn it's been hot. Gonna hopefully sneak out for a spin this afternoon.

Photo evidence of digging.
View attachment 125696
You guys are going full-Kenevil over the Snake River canyon there....approve!

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Hello all. Wife returns in an hour or two. I have managed to keep the kids and the kitten alive.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Bman and I joked about putting Beartraps or KKT lightnings on Lil Man's ride. :rofl:

He and I both have shin scars from pedals. KKT Lightnings were on a couple of my bikes back in the day. I also ran Redline Flights on a few bikes. Bman is partial to the Profiles.

Instead of shreddin the Pizgnar with @jstuhlman today, I had to be present & accounted for at the gulag. But I did manage a quick lunch spin and got to experience the fun of slipping a pedal upon landing a jump.

#stingy

Nevertheless, I remain buoyed by the fact that I decided to wet a hook (in freshwater) this past Saturday for the first time in over a decade and caught the world's smallest large-mouth bass...

I also got to think about a relatively untapped dentite market: $15K crab0n kayaks. I would even create an enduro kayak model and paint it aqua blue. Time to get my kickstarter campaign going.

Last edited:

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Good Mornin....errr, afternoon. Where has this day gone?

So, they made me head of custom signage accounts here - we do a ton of corporate signs like Arby's, John Deere, Dairy Queen, Family Dollar, etc, but we lack the people that have the experience to pull off custom work so distribute that out amongst the other Project Managers.....so by default, it goes to me because I've done a lot of it over the last few years. Kind of like the Designated Survivor....the 323rd pick in the draft....:boss: