stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
So you made a kickass meatloaf. Delicious all on its own. Then you decided to make meatloaf sandwiches. Cool. Heinz ketchup good. Delicious wheat bread. Also good. But you forgot to get Potato Chips? What the Fuck...... Nice try....

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Farlow Gap is the gnarliest trail in Pisgah and it takes a looong time to get to. Two hours of some serious hateful climbing for me.

Set out to ride it solo but ran into another rider on the way up and we rode together. After a while on Farlow, we were joined by another dude.

This trail is remote, very dangerous and very rare to encounter another human. It was awesome to have some company. I'm all about long solo rides but this trail is just off the hook gnarly. Way more eroded than it was when I lived there 11 years ago.

Massive wash outs with large rocks, root clusters and insanely steep. Multiple 2-4 foot drops at speed all landing on rocks and more rocks. Looking up from what you just came down looked more like the results of a natural disaster than a trail.

The trail had changed so much in the 8 or 9 years since I had last ridden it that some sections were completely new to me and shockingly more difficult. Albeit I was on a mini DH last time and my Spitty this time.

Google: Farlow Gap Pisgah

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Remember kids, another GMT is another day closer to death.

Make this one count.
Done. To celebrate my 43rd trip around teh sun planned a day riding at Wilson Creek. aka, the "other pisgah," aka, my most favoritist place on earth.

pulled up and unloaded two unrideabru vpp bikes, one even moar unrideabru due to being crabon exposed to sunlight, mine because 26 and 135x12, among a host of other shortcomings.

stashed beers in creek, grinded 5 miles of gravel to a classic pisgah descent (woodruff) with steeps, rox, creeks, fast drops. it ends at an amazing car camping site where beers magically appeared by the swimming hole.

which is across the road from a sweet waterfall (that's a large tree trunk on the right)

pounded up the next 6 or 7 miles to 21 jumps, an old school trail that is at first smooth, naturally bermed and waterbar-jumpy. the it hits one called schoolhouse which ends with steep, uber ruff gullies, drops, and gnur which almost made me wish for 29" trails to roll it all. here's local transplant and national-caliber dh rider phil kmetz hitting 21 to schoolhouse a few weeks ago, before a lot of rain made it even worse. schoolhouse skip to 6:40; final descent starts around 7:40; check out to gullies around 8:30 and 8:50.
popped out onto the road, 2 miles to the car. creek beers awaited.

temps were around 80*, we had a slight breeze all day. absolutely primo. not a huge day, either gain or mileage-wise, but legit.

capped it with sushi-fest, ice cream cake, and a few moar stouts. perfect.

hellz yeah farlow! we hit it back in march...started snowing on us at the top. my favorite part is the section past the first rock garden where it's just rough, fast, and steep. :busted:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Done. To celebrate my 43rd trip around teh sun planned a day riding at Wilson Creek. aka, the "other pisgah," aka, my most favoritist place on earth.

pulled up and unloaded two unrideabru vpp bikes, one even moar unrideabru due to being crabon exposed to sunlight, mine because 26 and 135x12, among a host of other shortcomings.

stashed beers in creek, grinded 5 miles of gravel to a classic pisgah descent (woodruff) with steeps, rox, creeks, fast drops. it ends at an amazing car camping site where beers magically appeared by the swimming hole.

which is across the road from a sweet waterfall (that's a large tree trunk on the right)

pounded up the next 6 or 7 miles to 21 jumps, an old school trail that is at first smooth, naturally bermed and waterbar-jumpy. the it hits one called schoolhouse which ends with steep, uber ruff gullies, drops, and gnur which almost made me wish for 29" trails to roll it all. here's local transplant and national-caliber dh rider phil kmetz hitting 21 to schoolhouse a few weeks ago, before a lot of rain made it even worse. schoolhouse skip to 6:40; final descent starts around 7:40; check out to gullies around 8:30 and 8:50.
popped out onto the road, 2 miles to the car. creek beers awaited.

temps were around 80*, we had a slight breeze all day. absolutely primo. not a huge day, either gain or mileage-wise, but legit.

capped it with sushi-fest, ice cream cake, and a few moar stouts. perfect.

hellz yeah farlow! we hit it back in march...started snowing on us at the top. my favorite part is the section past the first rock garden where it's just rough, fast, and steep. :busted:
Spreading of rep required.

I miss riding the Blue Ridge, but fuck that giant rut.