Quantcast

Monday GMT

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Just got back from a concert. I'm supposed to wake up in less than 5 hours. Today will be rough.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Lack of sleep is worse than a hangover for me.

Back in full swing at the office. Great team I have an fun work. Love my new job.

After a crazy warm fall temps are really going to start dropping now. I need to order my winter riding shoes. I am looking at Shimano as my number one choice I think.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Interesting talk on shoes this morning...my road shoes are giving me constant foot pain and I'm wondering if I should give up on them. They fit well length-wise but clearly they are not wide enough or something.

Have giro mountain shoes which are painless and I don't know if I should just mail order a road shoe in the same size or go someplace and get fitted for road shoes...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Interesting talk on shoes this morning...my road shoes are giving me constant foot pain and I'm wondering if I should give up on them. They fit well length-wise but clearly they are not wide enough or something.

Have giro mountain shoes which are painless and I don't know if I should just mail order a road shoe in the same size or go someplace and get fitted for road shoes...
any chance you can just stretch them a bit?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
they are heat moldable. I've done it once before, perhaps it needs a second try or higher oven temp. I have wondered if I'm just buckling them incorrectly for my high arches.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I need to order my winter riding shoes. I am looking at Shimano as my number one choice I think.
I ride these in the fall-winter-spring:

Specialized Defroster Trail. They make a road version if that's better for gravel riding.

They are warm-ish,stiff-ish, light-ish and waterproof-ish. They are really quite comfortable too. I have wide toes (but a relatively normal forefoot), and I find they are roomier in the toe-box than most Shimanos I've tried.

I've had them for three years now (they're into their 3rd fall). They are still holding up really well. I ride them from about 8°C down to about -15°C. Below that they don't quite cut it, and above that, well, it's just not worth subjecting them to the abuse.

I think they are well worth the cash I paid for them.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I ride these in the fall-winter-spring:

Specialized Defroster Trail. They make a road version if that's better for gravel riding.

They are warm-ish,stiff-ish, light-ish and waterproof-ish. They are really quite comfortable too. I have wide toes (but a relatively normal forefoot), and I find they are roomier in the toe-box than most Shimanos I've tried.

I've had them for three years now (they're into their 3rd fall). They are still holding up really well. I ride them from about 8°C down to about -15°C. Below that they don't quite cut it, and above that, well, it's just not worth subjecting them to the abuse.

I think they are well worth the cash I paid for them.
I've found adding an insulated insole to a winter riding shoe extends the lower temp limit a few degrees

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Had an amazing weekend with the wife and pooches at the coast. Quiet, I needed that more than I knew.

Then a buddy hit me with this first thing in the morning. That sucks, those bikes were amazeballs.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
rawr. I'd like to ride the trails we did on Saturday more. Nothing like riding trails that are embedded with bowling ball sized rocks, all hidden under wet leaves. Pucker factor was high.

MOAR coffee.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
rawr. I'd like to ride the trails we did on Saturday more. Nothing like riding trails that are embedded with bowling ball sized rocks, all hidden under wet leaves. Pucker factor was high.

MOAR coffee.
they kind where you flinch every time you feel a rim strike?