Quantcast

***Monday GMT***

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
3 days of meetings at the client's, including lawyers and insurance folk. Joy!
I do think these will be the last as I'm moving to some new projects.

Wish I'd have skied yesterday.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Ok, what the fuck....I got a notification on my new S10 phone this morning to install Update 5, which I did. Then Update 6, then update 7, and now Update 9. Jesus Christ...how many of these are there?

Edit: Ok, according to Verizon's website, 9 is the last one.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I'm surprise that this didn't happen before. Building a network of trails on private land is not sustainable, unless the trail association own the land!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Last week of work and lots to do. I have a phone interview today that might be good. The boss on Friday reiterated the fact that he is trying to justify my role (it would be new for the company but they need it) so continues value adding goes a long way to help with this.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
i have no inside information, this just reeks of cantankerous rural vermont folk with chips on their shoulders
Well, being invaded by hordes of dumbshit tourists every days of the year and getting yelled at by focking entitled twats when walking my own damn land, I would be somewhat cantankerous (I had to goggle that one...)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Well, being invaded by hordes of dumbshit tourists every days of the year and getting yelled at by focking entitled twats when walking my own damn land, I would be somewhat cantankerous (I had to goggle that one...)
these aren't people with lot sizes under an acre.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I bet Nembafest is not helping the cause much, either. I feel sorry for the KTA people but I really won't miss the trails much, it is XC wonderland full of full-on lycra-clad racers.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Big Bear weekend with the family. Kids had a great time playing in the snow. I remember why I don't go out of my way to snowboard in SoCal anymore. They got almost 4' of snow about two weeks ago and its basically gone this weekend. Ended up pre-buying tickets through Costco for $75, but they are normally $109, along with the place just being ridiculously packed. I miss bike park days already.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Hello all. I work today but then work again on Dec 30 next.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Big Bear weekend with the family. Kids had a great time playing in the snow. I remember why I don't go out of my way to snowboard in SoCal anymore. They got almost 4' of snow about two weeks ago and its basically gone this weekend. Ended up pre-buying tickets through Costco for $75, but they are normally $109, along with the place just being ridiculously packed. I miss bike park days already.
i was in big bear for mountain biking and oktoberfest one year. what a shit show :rofl:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
That sucks. But as @Jozz points out, its probably only a matter of time before it happens, theres no garuntee when the land is privately owned. I'm with you that the trails are great, but kind of meh overall. I was there in august and even during the middle of the week it was busy. Can't imagine how busy it gets on weekends.

Is there a map showing the trails and the portions of land this affects?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

looks like this area, as they quote willoughby way. My guess is that BEMIS runs through their backyard, and they don't like it. Maybe a few riders cut through their land, or stole shit. I hope that webs and tap n die aren't affected, but the rest of that area can suck eggs.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
these aren't people with lot sizes under an acre.
I bet Nembafest is not helping the cause much, either. I feel sorry for the KTA people but I really won't miss the trails much, it is XC wonderland full of full-on lycra-clad racers.

looks like this area, as they quote willoughby way. My guess is that BEMIS runs through their backyard, and they don't like it. Maybe a few riders cut through their land, or stole shit. I hope that webs and tap n die aren't affected, but the rest of that area can suck eggs.
My initial reaction was a little like Jozz's. Even even if people don't steal and trample on your property, the sheer volume of bikers in town is monumental. Almost like KT got too successful and growth has outpaced the town's ability accommodate the volume of visitors. I generally avoid KT for bike trips with my buddies because it's so crowded (that, and the trails are kinda lame - see lycra-clad contingent. I know there's rad stuff there, but I'd rather ride rad stuff elsewhere in VT and avoid the crowds). I've also found that there is a higher contingent of rude people there. I don't know why, and it's weird, but each time I've been I invariably come across a contingent of rude people. I can imagine as a local, who's offered land to ride on, to have to deal with rude people day in day out would suck.

That said, it's a great place to go as a family. The sheer quantity of accessible trails mean you can go with beginner-enthusiast-advanced riders, and everyone will have something to ride. That means I can go with my 6 year old, 9 year old, and maybe even my wife. But she doesn't have to ride if she's not into it, there's also other things to do.

I also wonder if the land-owners are looking for compensation?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
MTB is nothing compared to snow season. They have offsite parking and shuttle people in.
i meant the drunken shitshow of the big bear oktoberfest. one of my buddies hooked up with a chick in her tent, and another buddy went home with another chick, who's parents were apparently home and they cooked him breakfast the next morning.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
i meant the drunken shitshow of the big bear oktoberfest. one of my buddies hooked up with a chick in her tent, and another buddy went home with another chick, who's parents were apparently home and they cooked him breakfast the next morning.
oh yea. With mountain chicks it’s not your girl, it’s just your turn...

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Lots of KT bashing going on here. I'm not afraid to admit that I love riding there, although I certainly agree that there seems to be a large number of rude assholes who like to ride there as well (maybe I am one of them! :eek: ). I have had many a fun days riding on those trails, riding with wife, friends, and monkeys until we can't feel our legs and asses. Those landowners must own some big lots because Bemis is pretty far from the road. I'd really hate to see something happen to Pines. It is my favorite KT trail, and super fun at night.