Quantcast

***Monday GMT***

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Re: KTA - once summer rolls around, it will be interesting to see how shutting down KTA to mtb impacts the local economy. If it's like most small towns built around a seasonal, outside source of money, it will start to get impacted about 1/3 of the way through and notably slammed by 2/3 through the season. The local residents will probably laser focus on those individuals for effectively shutting down the local economy. This all depends on how much of the local economy is service driven and how much is of that is driven by mtbers though.

I'm getting more changes made to my ski boots to tighten the heel up some because there is a bunch of play still. Then a few client meetings to finish the day.

Haley is a bit sick, so to work with Wifey today. She was having nightmares all last night, so she ended up sleeping in our bed last night. She doesn't remember the dreams, but she was talking and one line we heard was "just keep running and it won't catch us". No idea, but she was sweating and running in her sleep all night, so...

I'm still sore from Saturday. I don't think I could have skied yesterday if I wanted to.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Re: KTA - once summer rolls around, it will be interesting to see how shutting down KTA to mtb impacts the local economy. If it's like most small towns built around a seasonal, outside source of money, it will start to get impacted about 1/3 of the way through and notably slammed by 2/3 through the season. The local residents will probably laser focus on those individuals for effectively shutting down the local economy. This all depends on how much of the local economy is service driven and how much is of that is driven by mtbers though.
It's only a few trail segments from the sound of it.
The community at large understands what side their breads buttered on and anyone seriously threatening the economic benefits of mtb would likely get run through a wood chipper.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
When old money clashes with business interest of the little man, old money always wins.
Btw. they closed their land to MTB access only, hikers and others are still welcome.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I've seen this comment elsewhere
Kurt Hansbury - My 2 cents as part of a family that owns another significant portion of a Darling Hill is that we are not surprised. We will work with KT to keep our land open and accessible. Time will tell if bikers learn a lesson.
If KT was smart they’d get out in front of this and tell it like it is.
The owners who have locked out bikers have had a lot of problems with bikers while riding their horses. They are beyond frustrated at the lack of common courtesy they are extended on their own land. To be honest we are too. There’s a percentage of bikers who just don’t get it. All of KT except for 150 acres (we sold to them) is not owned or leased by KT. It is private. Imagine someone standing on your lawn and telling you to fuck off...how does that conversation go?
This is simply a case of 3 landowners with no ties to the local biking economy who have said enough is enough. It has nothing to do with parking, they are not looking to sell their land and they are not looking to leverage any position with KT. They are just tired of the bikers who are rude and disrespectful.
Let this be a lesson to everyone else...you don’t know who you’re talking to or riding past...treat everyone you meet as a potential landowner who can kick you off the property. A day pass doesn’t entitle you to any special treatment. It’s the opposite...a day pass should entitle the landowners to common courtesy and respect.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
doubtful. they're specifically excluding mtb, not withdrawing from KTA.
I guess what I meant to say is "looking for monetary compensation from an activity that brings in significant funds to the community". As in, they want their "cut" of the price of admission. Maybe they're playing hardball to get some more money?

Then again, maybe they just want all the dirty mountain bikers to go away.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I guess what I meant to say is "looking for monetary compensation from an activity that brings in significant funds to the community". As in, they want their "cut" of the price of admission. Maybe they're playing hardball to get some more money?

Then again, maybe they just want all the dirty mountain bikers to go away.
see my prior comment re: sweet lemonade

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
see my prior comment re: sweet lemonade
I missed that post. So it was indeed rude people.

Then I'll echo whoever it was that said that having this on private land is not a sustainable model. If people pay for access to something, they'll feel entitled to it. With the volume of visitors they receive, not everyone will be aware/sensitive to the land access dynamics. If this were Scotland, then it would be a different discussion, but it's not. It's a bit of a shame to be honest. I was looking forward to going with my boys again soon.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Fuckin' horse, every time! But yeah, you can't blame them if they feel like they can't use their own land safely or without issue. Asshats whoever it is that causes the conflict though.

We've recently gone through similar horse-bike conflicts in a tract of land. The solution the land manager came up with is to tell both to fack right off and stay on their own trails essentially. Its worked. https://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threads/horses-officially-kicked-off-the-trail.280311/#post-4357320

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I was looking forward to going with my boys again soon.
You still can... and even better is that Burke is right there. Stay at the lodge or camp and you can ride the bike park. Some of the trails in there are easy enough for kids.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Long time since I've ridden there, but I recall Troll Stroll being a fun little DH.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
On a lighter note, found out that a mtb facility got approved that will be about 10 minutes from my house and is slated to open for summer of 2021. Would be so rad.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
it sucks, but if i had people acting like dicks to me on my land i'd tell 'em to pound sand too
Agreed. I tell people they’re dicks on other people’s land too. KT can be insufferable.

We stay in Burke as a base camp for our VT trips but only ride KT after we’ve blown our legs out elsewhere.

That'll pretty effectively kill KT if the map is correct. I don't think it's an asshole biker issue, I think it's the fact that no one has addressed the fact that any trail system has a capacity and things get fucked up if no attention is paid to that issue. NEMBAfest in June this year was a three day traffic jam on the trails.

People on this forum have discussed overcrowding, I think recently with regard to Fruita and Moab. If the larger community fails to address the issue, I think we'll see more closures. It ain't just bikes - the same thing's happening with hikers in the Adirondacks and a number of popular Vermont hiking trails, e.g. Camel's Hump.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That'll pretty effectively kill KT if the map is correct. I don't think it's an asshole biker issue, I think it's the fact that no one has addressed the fact that any trail system has a capacity and things get fucked up if no attention is paid to that issue. NEMBAfest in June this year was a three day traffic jam on the trails.

People on this forum have discussed overcrowding, I think recently with regard to Fruita and Moab. If the larger community fails to address the issue, I think we'll see more closures. It ain't just bikes - the same thing's happening with hikers in the Adirondacks and a number of popular Vermont hiking trails, e.g. Camel's Hump.
Yes but how else will the bike industry grow and sell more bikes?!

:lizard:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I missed that post. So it was indeed rude people.

Then I'll echo whoever it was that said that having this on private land is not a sustainable model. If people pay for access to something, they'll feel entitled to it. With the volume of visitors they receive, not everyone will be aware/sensitive to the land access dynamics. If this were Scotland, then it would be a different discussion, but it's not. It's a bit of a shame to be honest. I was looking forward to going with my boys again soon.
I can attest that over the years a lot of complaints have been directed towards mob's of douchy Quebes, clogging intersections, riding like they are racing, passing people inappropriately, all wearing Subway lycra skinsuit. They go there 50+ strong and are entitled little bitches! (aka mountain roadies). Also, if I was the one paying VT taxes on that land and only one prick would call me out or would be disrespectful towards me, my horse, my dog, my pet ant. I would close that land in a minute.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Update from yesterday.

Turns out Mr firepants may not be the classiest of individuals.

Thanks a lot fuck stick, not only did you send at least 2 kids to the hospital but you endangered every one who stopped to help, including me. My doctor says I'm not allowed to be dead again. :mad:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I can attest that over the years a lot of complaints have been directed towards mob's of douchy Quebes, clogging intersections, riding like they are racing, passing people inappropriately, all wearing Subway lycra skinsuit. They go there 50+ strong and are entitled little bitches! (aka mountain roadies). Also, if I was the one paying VT taxes on that land and only one prick would call me out or would be disrespectful towards me, my horse, my dog, my pet ant. I would close that land in a minute.
It's true, can always pick the Quebec crowd out due to the lycra.

But it's weird that you mention that, there were lots when we were there. But the riding is arguably just as good or better in Quebec? Why do they go so far?

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
It's true, can always pick the Quebec crowd out due to the lycra.

But it's weird that you mention that, there were lots when we were there. But the riding is arguably just as good or better in Quebec? Why do they go so far?
Cause it's cool to put on the book or the gram, and vanlife it like there is no tomorrow. Most of the people that I know that have been riding for 20+ years avoid KT at all cost.