Quantcast

** Monday GMT **

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
oh, hello.
up early because my brain is about as calm as a caffeine-addled hummingbird.
a package missing for almost a month in USPS-land made a surprise movement, I may get it yet!

cheers, beautiful people.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Heading into 3 back to back interviews in my search for a new ecommerce manager. First one looks promising on paper. Hope to ride a bike this week.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
rain held off until the end of the horse show yesterday then it poured for a couple of hours. Today is supposed to be nice then we get slammed with heavy rain through the weekend. should be fun..not.

At least the headache that had been hitting me for the past couple of days in finally gone ( I hope).

14 transports on the docket today

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MORNING lmoa. XC skiing was fun yesterday. That was my second time ever and first in like 10 years. I don't know how far or long people normally go when the XC ski, but we did five miles in a little over two hours. Not a particularly strenuous activity but it is something my body isn't used to so I am achy today. I struggled for the first mile and fell down a lot, but I got going after than and didn't fall again. I had a blast and look forward to doing more of it.

So after that fun, I was up at 5:00 this morning for a 2500 yard swim. Tired body but the swim wasn't a total suckfest. Coffee now!!!

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Got on some proper singletrack with the fat bikes yesterday, and let me tell you that activity is more fun than I would have suspected. The MTB club in Leadville grooms a network of XC trails that are adjacent to the college there, nothing steep or sustained far as elevation loss/gain go but just swoopy singletrack through the woods. Fat biking is not fast, but it was pretty dang fun. L-R is my buddy Jamie that lives in Leadville, Teh Financée, and then me in the green helmet. This was at an intersection of like 5 different trails, not sure the heck we were discussing.

Also, we're shopping for a fat bike for Teh Financée now... and maybe eventually me. But definitely wanna get her one more sooner than later since she doesn't ski or whatever... and fat biking is way more fun than snowshoeing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Got on some proper singletrack with the fat bikes yesterday, and let me tell you that activity is more fun than I would have suspected. The MTB club in Leadville grooms a network of XC trails that are adjacent to the college there, nothing steep or sustained far as elevation loss/gain go but just swoopy singletrack through the woods. Fat biking is not fast, but it was pretty dang fun. L-R is my buddy Jamie that lives in Leadville, Teh Financée, and then me in the green helmet. This was at an intersection of like 5 different trails, not sure the heck we were discussing.

Also, we're shopping for a fat bike for Teh Financée now... and maybe eventually me. But definitely wanna get her one more sooner than later since she doesn't ski or whatever... and fat biking is way more fun than snowshoeing.
as much as i make fun of them, if i lived in an area that had decent consistent snowpack i'd absolutely own one.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

All I can suggest, is get a bike with good tires with some actual big knobs. Them fat bike tires are ridiculously expensive.

Steep snow covered trails are fun too.

One beauty thing about fat biking is that you don't really need anything too fancy. You're going so slow and stuff that it just doesn't really matter. Key things to me are tires and brakes that work (don't need to be strong, just need to work).

I have one of those Rocky Mountain's that you guys are on and it does the job. Mine came with Maxxis Minions that have hugely big knobs. With 2-4psi, that thing will climb up anything - until you spinout of a patch of hidden ice and end up on your ass. :D

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Stupid busy today. Super demanding, but miniscule client didn't get back to me Friday, when I gave them a timeline knowing I wouldn't be able to do what they wanted for 3 days. Didn't and I still haven't heard back yet. Thing needed to be done Friday due to forward time requirements. Should be fun once the emails start plowing in from angry it isn't getting done person, because I DON'T HAVE TIME.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
rainy here, working my way through my to-do list, making sure the kids are doing what they're supposed to be doing, waiting on brown santa to deliver a few parts. that is all.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005

You have far better industry ////connections than I do but after a few months of fruitless searching, I pre-paid one of these last week as my anti-finance aka wife claimed ours

Not supposed to ship til February (knock wood).

I got my daughter one from their scratch and dent website (bike island) last year for a paltry $400 and while it's clearly not high end components and the like she loves it.

ETA: while I agree with snowshoes groupthink your spousal unit to be would crush xc skis. And even though I suck at skiing I find xc to be "acceptable" winter sports and unlike fatbiking no trail grooming is required

XC ski at Harriman in the powder, le fat on the hard pack FTW:

1611590418862.png

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons

Some local hotshots are getting KOM’s on some local trail sections on their fatbIkes, , and they are not not fast.
When the conditions are right, you can haul balls if you are comfortable with a little drifting at 15-20mph...

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
All I can suggest, is get a bike with good tires with some actual big knobs. Them fat bike tires are ridiculously expensive.

Steep snow covered trails are fun too.

One beauty thing about fat biking is that you don't really need anything too fancy. You're going so slow and stuff that it just doesn't really matter. Key things to me are tires and brakes that work (don't need to be strong, just need to work).

I have one of those Rocky Mountain's that you guys are on and it does the job. Mine came with Maxxis Minions that have hugely big knobs. With 2-4psi, that thing will climb up anything - until you spinout of a patch of hidden ice and end up on your ass. :D
The Blizzard is actually one of the best choices with it's slack geometry that feels more like a regular bike.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The Blizzard is actually one of the best choices with it's slack geometry that feels more like a regular bike.
That is one reason why I picked it, besides the paintjob/colour and price.

Two friends have steel Cooker fat bikes that are like riding an XC bike from the 90's in comparison.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
If trails are firm / groomed / icy, (studded) plus tires are just fine.
If snow is fresh / deep / not broken, The Hoks are way more fun than any bike.
Depending on location, YMMW.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hello all. I am working today. Inpatient CT/MR/US. I am making sure to work at a slow pace so as to not run out of things to do, ya know

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Going into the office to put a simulator on my test pc so I can do more stuff. Found out Friday that a new manager is coming in March 1st. I think it will be good, but it means I will likely have to do stuff, so there is that.

Wicked cold, but not enough for snow. Just enough to piss me off.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Groin and knee strains have lead to achilles tendinopathy, so my right leg is pretty crap when it comes to being fully functional right now. No real riding this past weekend as a result :(

Let's see how much snow we get in the next couple of days, haven't been sledding yet this year and that only needs a leg to climb back up the hill.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Same. And TBH the snow has sucked hard enough this year so far that even I am considering a fatbike.
Front range fatties bookface group sometimes has bikes posted and is good for checking on posted conditions versus the normal 303 trail monitor.

I steal wifes login on the tablet to check them both.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Good to see everyone is still out there working and playing! That XC skiing looks pretty glorious.
I turned a corner in my surgery recovery and am excited to get some air into Gary's tires and see how far we can go this week. I was able to fully stretch my arms above my head for the first time since July this weekend and downward dog was a go--this is big exciting news folks! Getting back to it!
In other exciting news, we await the arrival of two new furry family members who will fly cross country in the next week or so and I am finishing my last final for a class today. Teaching tomorrow. It's amazing how busy a gal can be just sitting at the dining room table!