Quantcast

** Monday GMT **

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Good to see everyone is still out there working and playing! That XC skiing looks pretty glorious.
I turned a corner in my surgery recovery and am excited to get some air into Gary's tires and see how far we can go this week. I was able to fully stretch my arms above my head for the first time since July this weekend and downward dog was a go--this is big exciting news folks! Getting back to it!
In other exciting news, we await the arrival of two new furry family members who will fly cross country in the next week or so and I am finishing my last final for a class today. Teaching tomorrow. It's amazing how busy a gal can be just sitting at the dining room table!
Girl, you gotta check in more often. Especially with news like this!

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
yo SB

what happened to your arms? bike crash?
(I mean, I assume)
I had a disc replaced in my spine in August... but there was damage to the spinal cord and nerves and apparently that takes a really long time to heal. I notice it mostly coming down through my arms. As for how... maybe a bike crash? It would appear that many bike/ski/car crashes over the years had led to this, but we don't know when the disc herniated originally. It just shifted one night while I was sleeping and I couldn't use my left hand/arm/and there was a lot of pain. When my fingers couldn't press on the guitar strings suddenly and stayed that way for a couple of weeks I thought, "huh, that's really not right," and went to the doctor. They got me in quick between finding it in July and surgery in August. Haven't been doing much since... I walk a lot and did ski once in November, but just in the last week feel like I'm really ready to add more fun!!

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
That's going down though....

Going up with the fam!.... (November, since we're just catching up... hoping to head up again soon!) The kid is on snowshoes with Buffalo taking a turn carrying his skis. Buffalo on his splitboard and me breaking in my skins for the first time! Going up us hard work but definitely worth it for the trip down:

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I would like a new fat bike, mine is getting old and tired.

Didn't ride last weekend, I should have new snow and perfect weather.

Work is just making me hate life.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Didn't figure you could handle it, that's OK.
you're right, i can't handle the terrible rolling resistance of 4"+ tires on regular hardpack dirt, or the moon bounce pogo that happens when running pressures high enough to overcome said abysmal rolling resistance.

regarding the wet/muddy trails and no trails aspect, that's great, but also a big no around here, as all our trails are in state parks or nature preserves, and i couldn't handle being the asshole that puts trail access at risk for the entire riding community from damaging the trails by riding in bad conditions* or going bushwhacking "just because i could"

one local trailset here closes for the winter because it drains so poorly the trails are basically mud for roughly half the year. and it is an enforced closure by the state park.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I had a disc replaced in my spine in August... but there was damage to the spinal cord and nerves and apparently that takes a really long time to heal. I notice it mostly coming down through my arms. As for how... maybe a bike crash? It would appear that many bike/ski/car crashes over the years had led to this, but we don't know when the disc herniated originally. It just shifted one night while I was sleeping and I couldn't use my left hand/arm/and there was a lot of pain. When my fingers couldn't press on the guitar strings suddenly and stayed that way for a couple of weeks I thought, "huh, that's really not right," and went to the doctor. They got me in quick between finding it in July and surgery in August. Haven't been doing much since... I walk a lot and did ski once in November, but just in the last week feel like I'm really ready to add more fun!!
pro disc?

you're right, i can't handle the terrible rolling resistance of 4"+ tires on regular hardpack dirt, or the moon bounce pogo that happens when running pressures high enough to overcome said abysmal rolling resistance.

regarding the wet/muddy trails and no trails aspect, that's great, but also a big no around here, as all our trails are in state parks or nature preserves, and i couldn't handle being the asshole that puts trail access at risk for the entire riding community from damaging the trails by riding in bad conditions* or going bushwhacking "just because i could"

one local trailset here closes for the winter because it drains so poorly the trails are basically mud for roughly half the year. and it is an enforced closure by the state park.
We have a bunch more open and accessible terrain up here, and don't get the perpetual mud that seems typical of NJ and perhaps your way.

Tire pressure is a lot more of an art with fat tires. I'm still learning it after seven years or so of experience.

Still want to knock off a Lincoln gap/Appalachian gap ride to thumb my nose at the roadies.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
We have a bunch more open and accessible terrain up here, and don't get the perpetual mud that seems typical of NJ and perhaps your way.

Tire pressure is a lot more of an art with fat tires. I'm still learning it after seven years or so of experience.

Still want to knock off a Lincoln gap/Appalachian gap ride to thumb my nose at the roadies.
yea, around here if land is not state or county park, its privately owned and you'll likely get shot for trespassing (not that there's any trails on it anyways). and the trails that do exist in my immediate vicinity are mediocre at best. i actually miss the riding in NJ.

mud season has been worse here the last few winters. just as bad if not worse than NJ.

yea, around here if land is not state or county park, its privately owned and you'll likely get shot for trespassing (not that there's any trails on it anyways). and the trails that do exist in my immediate vicinity are mediocre at best. i actually miss the riding in NJ.

mud season has been worse here the last few winters. just as bad if not worse than NJ.
The only Jersey stuff I have ridden was a thirty miler at Wawayanda, which was a hoot, and Sourlands, which was interesting if overcrowded. I don't have anything there on my want to ride list at present, save for maybe Ringwood and Jungle habitat.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The only Jersey stuff I have ridden was a thirty miler at Wawayanda, which was a hoot, and Sourlands, which was interesting if overcrowded. I don't have anything there on my want to ride list at present, save for maybe Ringwood and Jungle habitat.
the northern stuff was better, but if i was heading up that way it was always to ride mt creek. i lived more in central NJ and would usually ride lewmo (xc), 6 mile (flat but fast and twisty), or allaire (ok only because it dried out super fast and is rideable most of the year). there were some others i rode that the names escape me now.

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
pro disc is a product (implant) for disc / vertebrae replacement. was just curious, as that type of hardware is my field.
I think I ended up with the mobi-c... I didn't really ask a lot after he said he could bring my hand back and I'd be back on my skis and bike. In hindsight, it would be nice to know more about what they put in there, but my head hasn't rolled off yet so that must count for something!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think I ended up with the mobi-c... I didn't really ask a lot after he said he could bring my hand back and I'd be back on my skis and bike. In hindsight, it would be nice to know more about what they put in there, but my head hasn't rolled off yet so that must count for something!
mobi-c is a competitive product for prodisc, same idea. regardless of which product was used, that's a gnarly operation, glad to hear that you are recovering well.

edit: if you're more interested about the product https://www.cervicaldisc.com/

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Man I shouldn't have sold my Altai Hoks a few seasons ago. Them things are a hot commodity right now because of teh rona. I could have probably profited from selling them.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
What did she think of the Altai Hoks? I can't recall...
We only tried them the one time, and it was not a good trial since we just cruised around a groomed XC ski course or whatever. I think she's mostly bike-oriented though. Snowshoeing is fine for hut trips, and occasionally for her and I to get out and explore a bit, but the fat bike really seems to speak to her.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Ringwood is a rocky wonderland.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Fat biking stuff like this is super fun. Long easy flowing trails. Learn to trust the grip and two wheel slide the corners..

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Ringwood is a rocky wonderland.
JH is equally rocky.

Ringwood is the better destination for a nice long ride within the one park versus JH IMHO. Similar to Wawayanda.

The 25 mile course lap they used to use for the Bearscat 50 was a good time.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Workshop thermometer said 45.6deg C when I left this arv, it's a bit optimistic as it is on a West facing wall but it was still pretty warm.