Quantcast

***Monday GMT***

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Last time I was in Canadia, the co-worker I was traveling with had an "arrest record" consisting of riding a snowmobile within city limits of what ever bumblefuck town he'd grown up in, in Alaska. This visibly confused the Canadian Immigration officer, but non the less cause considerable fuckery before they would allow us into the country. Thankfully, I was on the clock during all this. The lesson I learned, was to make sure I know much more about my coworkers before I travel out of the country with them.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
If you have a felony on your name, chances are you can't cross into Canada. Works the same way for us here in Canaderp too, when we try to cross into the US.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Because Squamish.
And my kiddo wants to go to college up Narth eventually.
And hockey camps, Montreal strippers, heli-skiing, bagels, the Chic-Chocs, and of course, poutine.
in other words, wifey insists we do this, and I’m cool with that.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I have no felonies, and one DUI was expunged. But I am pretty sure I need to go through the process anyway.
Ah but you DO have a felony... in Canadia. Because it isn't about whether the crime is considered a felony in the country you live, but whether or not it's a felony in Canadia... which a DUI is considered a felony there. Hence your sitch.

That said, since one DUI was expunged and you just have the one, you might not need to go through all the cost of hiring legal counsel as you could be considered deemed rehabilitated due to the length of time since your conviction and completion of sentencing, etc. The potential pitfall there is, from my understanding whether or not you are deemed to be rehabilitated is up to the immigration officer that is letting you in the country. And as such some are more strict than others.

ETA: it's probably worth at least starting "the process" which maybe you wouldn't need to hire an attourney for, at least not at first. I'd start here with the document checklist and gathering up all the paperwork you can find about your DUI(s) including arrest records, sentencing, proof of completion of restitution, etc. And then fill out the Application for Criminal Rehabilitation and send that shit in with the “For Information Only” box checked and all your supporting bullshit, and see how far that'd get you.

Source: I went through this a bunch of years ago when I was only 5-6 years out from a DWAI conviction. I didn't hire legal counsel, just did the above shit, and the immigration officer let me in. I've heard tell it's easier if you drive across the border? Maybe I'm remembering that wrong. Not sure. Anycrap, it's been 18 years since that fuck up and I have no issues getting in to Canadia last I checked.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
If you have a felony on your name, chances are you can't cross into Canada. Works the same way for us here in Canaderp too, when we try to cross into the US.
Isn't it great that after 9/11 Canada and the US shared access to their databases with each other? :D :tinfoil:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
wifey said to just go for the legal council, so that’s what we are doing, because as you well know she wears the brains in the family.
And, of course, your ‘tentative, potential, maybe’ plans are playing a factor in my decision to get this done!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
wifey said to just go for the legal council, so that’s what we are doing, because as you well know she wears the brains in the family.
And, of course, your ‘tentative, potential, maybe’ plans are playing a factor in my decision to get this done!
Well when you're allowed to cross or want to attempt, without fear of being rejected at the border*, come on up to Quebec. There is some great riding here out East too. :P

*also when you don't have to quarantine for weeks because of teh cooties.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
times like this......

......RIP dirtmcgirk

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
She's probably not wrong, but it also seems like there's a non-zero possibility that you could get it sorted without. So far as my plans, I'm pretty much thinking that a trip to Canadia isn't happening for me this year considering the border is still effectively closed to all non-essential visitors. Even if that were to change or open up in the next few months (which isn't likely) I'll need to get a plan together and can't count on the border opening up just so I can go ride my bike.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
don't have urgent work stuff that i need to stay up working on tonight. first time in weeks. what to do with extra time? I think i'll lace a wheel and finish my DH bike overhaul.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I've heard tell it's easier if you drive across the border? Maybe I'm remembering that wrong. Not sure.
At the very least, if you're driving all you have to do it turn around and drive back. I believe in most cases, if you get rejected at the airport, you probably won't be eligible for a refund of your ticket.

I had that happen to me years and years ago - got denied entry to the US. Luckily if you fly from Toronto, you're checked by US Customs before you get on the plane, so I only lost out on the cost of that one flight and not the return.

But man that process sucked. I was downright scared and beyond nervous crossing the border the next few times after that happened.

Also side note: did you know if you highlight some text and then click reply, it automatically quotes ONLY that text? Huh......did not know. This will make quoting specific lines so much easier on the cell phone!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Also side note: did you know if you highlight some text and then click reply, it automatically quotes ONLY that text? Huh......did not know. This will make quoting specific lines so much easier on the cell phone!
it only works if you click the reply button that pops up after you highlight the text. and on my pixel i have to zoom in to be able to hit that reply button.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
So my buddy's dad just rolled his 3-week old Outback down a boat ramp. Water up to the roof line. I've been dying for the last 20min.