Quantcast

{{{ Monday GMT }}}

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Monkey is slow to load. Not like.

Starting bikes maintenance. Hopefully I did not break my new frame already. Undecided about rear tire for trip out west.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Sore lower back. I have been sitting down too much in my lounge chair again. Using the standing desk at work today, more workout this week and lounge chair is off limits at home. Also looking at planning for a bike ride to work this week as temps are getting back up and less rain hopefully.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:wave:

Up before the sun. Not because of the time change, that's just who I am.

Playing catch up after the 1/2 day Friday. Pending inspection, this chapter of my electrical woes should be all sorted out.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Was up until after 3am. :dead:

Coffee'ing it now...

Got the (mostly) new bike completely finished and ready to ride yesterday. The seat post is a hair too tall, even with it pushed all the way into the frame and with it lowered 20mm.

I have three options...
  • Just deal with it and don't extend the seat post all the way.
  • Find some sort of low profile seat. Do these exist with rails that don't elevate your ass as much?
  • Find 165mm cranks, do myself a favour, and switch back to Shimano. I friggin' hate all the single bolt cranks that get torqued to high heaven...
Thoughts? Opinions? What have you say eh?

Last edited:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
This Monday has started off way too productive for my liking. I ran five miles, shaved, emptied the dishwasher, and have laundry going. Plus I've done some work.

The weather forecast the next 36 hours is hilarious. Depending on what source I use, we're looking at anywhere from some rain to 18" of snow. Seriously WTF.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Get a OneUp in a shorter length to make it fit properly.
I have a brand new OneUp in it, so would like to keep if possible. Plus I just went through the hassle of getting foam inserts onto the cable in the frame and don't want to mess with that......what a process...

But right now I have 175mm cranks on it, so it wouldn't hurt to go shorter I guess? Plus the luxury of having easy to remove Shimano cranks and access to cheap AND good bottom brackets...

Oh yeah and Shimano SLX cranks with a chain ring can be had new, for less than the cost of a new dropper.

I already need a new bottom bracket, so that'd be a wash ($80 BSA varient vs $40 Shimano).

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

Coffee'ing it now...

Got the (mostly) new bike completely finished and ready to ride yesterday. The seat post is a hair too tall, even with it pushed all the way into the frame and with it lowered 20mm.

I have three options...
  • Find some sort of low profile seat. Do these exist with rails that don't elevate your ass as much?
  • Find 165mm cranks, do myself a favour, and switch back to Shimano. I friggin' hate all the single bolt cranks that get torqued to high heaven...
Keep the current setup and do a decent sized drop with the saddle up. Option #2 for free.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Keep the current setup and do a decent sized drop with the saddle up. Option #2 for free.
Yeah if I can find a saddle that could work.

I mean we are talking a very small amount needed here, I'm guessing 1cm. With the post all the way up, I can reach the pedals, but my legs are extended a bit more than I'd like.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I have a brand new OneUp in it
You can shim it down 10 or 20 mm if it’s at full extension for its size. (I recently got a 90 mm travel one for the wife’s new bike as I was searching for the shortest option due to stupid interrupted seat tube design so this is fresh in my brain.)

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL

Coffee'ing it now...

I have three options...
Moar shimz? OneUp?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
You can shim it down 10 or 20 mm if it’s at full extension for its size. (I recently got a 90 mm travel one for the wife’s new bike as I was searching for the shortest option due to stupid interrupted seat tube design so this is fresh in my brain.)

I was unclear the post, but thats what I meant by the seatpost being lowered 20mm. I put ALL the shimz in there. :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Coffee'ing it now...

I have three options...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

So my boss was trying to demo something on my laptop Friday and said it was WAY too slow. So I came in this morning to find a desktop on my desk top with a note as my new eev box. Said to keep my laptop for office apps so I can keep my dev environment clean of office apps and nonsense. Got my new monitors on Friday so today is new dev box setup day! :drag:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I though you could add more shims. Seems not. You have a 180 or 210?
Its a 210 post.

Yeah the V1 posts you could lower basically any amount with the shims, but the V2 post is limited by the slots which the brass keys slide into.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo

Coffee'ing it now...

I have three options...
I've had that happen. Yes, just deal with it. I've done that.

The better way is to shim the post so it doesn't extend fully. I've done this with my 9point8 posts before. But way time consuming depending on who is doing the shimming. But pays off in dividends.

Seat and crank changes? Not sure about that...