Quantcast

>>> Monday I survived Sweden GTM >>>

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
i also notice my weight starts dropping when i'm drinking less. drinking more it starts to go back up. recently i have a buddy from my college days inform me that he stopped drinking for 3 months and lost 20 lbs from that alone.
I think this is my undoing :(. I eat relatively okay in the grand scheme, but I drink a lot of beer; especially when biking.

After the three beers that I have left from Vermont are gone from the fridge, I think I'm going to try to take a break. Or at least cut back to only having one or two on Saturdays.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I love Kare Pan. I get some whenever I am in Toronto. The Char Su place is next door. 2 birds with one stone.... I ride my bike there because there is never parking in the Danforth...

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
I think this is my undoing :(. I eat relatively okay in the grand scheme, but I drink a lot of beer; especially when biking.

After the three beers that I have left from Vermont are gone from the fridge, I think I'm going to try to take a break. Or at least cut back to only having one or two on Saturdays.
Cut beer and most alcohol, which was tough since we own a small winery and I really really love beer, out of my diet for health reasons three years ago. Dropped 30 lbs almost immediately. I'll have a social beer or a really special beer every now and then.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I actually gained weight for a while after quitting drinking. I was compensating for the habit with enormous sugar, fat, salt, and carb input. Kinda got that under control and lost about 25 pounds a few years ago.
Careful what you wish for, I guess.

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
This is my idea of a healthy dinner. 6oz of pan seared Salmon Filet crumbled over a chopped green salad with light balsamic dressing.
IMG_20190826_184856214_HDR~2.jpg

Full days diet. Bowl of oatmeal with a teaspoon of butter to start. Tuna salad wrap for lunch for dinner and two 16 oz bottles of Gatorade while working outside in 100* heat. I walked 6 miles over the course of the day

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Climbed one of them mountains we have around here. Hardest 10 miles I have ever done. Every step seemed to promise an end of life experience if not executed properly.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That's pretty much the same concept, Nick. Calories in, calories out just with you suggesting that calories in be held constant and calories out ramped up. That's The Biggest Loser, and if you don't address the insulin effect elephant in the room (so as to actually be able to burn fat) then sooner or later one will end up like The Biggest Loser contestants: 2/3rds if not more back to where they started from.
Never watched it but I can probably assume it was about losing as much weight as fast as possible. That of course requires massive caloric deficit. Ones body will always adjust for that, hence the long term results. Seems that having a lifestyle in equilibrium where your end goal sits, is the most reliable way of getting there, however not the quickest.

Now back to the snark:

Toshi: Drunken Noodles
RM: ya gonna get fat
Toshi: Kare Pan
Toshi: E-bike
Toshi: Pfft, y'all ain't smart like me

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
How does your concept of equilibrium work when the body fights to restore its set point? It's a self-regulating system. It's not like you can dial in "calories and activity to make me 150 lbs" and then just cruise to that point.

And I will note that I was fat before the e-bike, which merely brings me more joy in riding because climbing for 30 minutes > climbing for 60 or 80 minutes. Thai food and kare pan have been in my life for a longer time yet.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
How does your concept of equilibrium work when the body fights to restore its set point? It's a self-regulating system. It's not like you can dial in "calories and activity to make me 150 lbs" and then just cruise to that point.

And I will note that I was fat before the e-bike, which merely brings me more joy in riding because climbing for 30 minutes > climbing for 60 or 80 minutes. Thai food and kare pan have been in my life for a longer time yet.
But when all added together with a lower net caloric output, your weight has gone up, no? Just saying... [walks away to eat a frozen glob of peanut butter and coconut oil]

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
But when all added together with a lower net caloric output, your weight has gone up, no? Just saying... [walks away to eat a frozen glob of peanut butter and coconut oil]
The key point is "lower net caloric output", and that's not a constant (assuming a fixed amount of exercise). It's a self-regulating system. Eat less*, metabolic rate goes down to match.

* this is with regular feeding patterns and simple calorie restriction. Note that fasting actually increases metabolic rate due to norepinephrine and cortisol going up, with longer term fasting (16 hrs+? perhaps? depends on whether keto to start with) directly burning fat.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i gave up coke for the millionth time.....tea with one shitty little pack of sugar.

unlike other times.....this time it has not been that hard....at all.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Climbed one of them mountains we have around here. Hardest 10 miles I have ever done. Every step seemed to promise an end of life experience if not executed properly.

i think you won the internet.

washington has the most european looking mountains....if that is a thing....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
i think you won the internet.

washington has the most european looking mountains....if that is a thing....

Haven't seen European mountains but this shit is steep. The Cascades have an absurd diversity of geology, standing on a granite peak looking out on ones made of basalt, limestone, sandstone marble, etc. Cascades are primarily from magma lifting or whatever from a subduction zone while the Olympics are from folding from the same subduction zone.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Do a lot of Danes speak Swedish, and vice versa, or do people default to the Queen's English? Always wondered.
I think more Danes speak enough Swedish to get the Swedes to understand us but also depends on where in Sweden you are from. If we try we can speak with each other plus its a good way to quickly learn.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Will be in Cherry Creek ( i think thats the place) on Friday. Putting this joint on our radar looks the bomb!
They'll be sold out of nearly everything by 1 or 2 PM so make sure to hit it up early if that's an option. They open at 6.

In addition to the kare pan (labeled as beef curry), other favorites in my household are the bacon epi (Yuna), tart with peach (Yuna, Mariko, Jessica), shoku pan (everyone), and the fruit sandwich in the cold case to the left of checkout (everyone).

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
They'll be sold out of nearly everything by 1 or 2 PM so make sure to hit it up early if that's an option. They open at 6.

In addition to the kare pan (labeled as beef curry), other favorites in my household are the bacon epi (Yuna), tart with peach (Yuna, Mariko, Jessica), shoku pan (everyone), and the fruit sandwich in the cold case to the left of checkout (everyone).
I recently tried milk bread for the first time. Just tasted like white bread lol