Quantcast

{{{ Monday? Sure, Monday }}}

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Do people still put bash guards on their bikes? My old bike had an E*Thirteen guard that saved my front ring a lot of abuse. I am noticing since my new bike does not have one, the ring is taking a lot of shots, particularly going over logs since I tend to try to go over them no matter how big they are.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Do people still put bash guards on their bikes? My old bike had an E*Thirteen guard that saved my front ring a lot of abuse. I am noticing since my new bike does not have one, the ring is taking a lot of shots, particularly going over logs since I tend to try to go over them no matter how big they are.
i do.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
It has become less common since chainrings have gotten so small.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hmmm, I don't seem to have that problem.
IMG_20200704_183956~3.jpg

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Yes, actually.

If that's the case, you should also be aware that the belt will almost definitly come apart somewhere about 75-80K miles. There are 3, CX-5 owners here at the hangar who have all experienced this. It's on my agenda to replace ours very soon, as her car sits right about 70k right now. You do have to pull the RH Front wheel and wheel well covers to gain access, unless you have 3 elbows.
Good to know. Hers is still intact, with about 90K on the clock, so unless someone replaced it before we bought it the original is still holding together. Going to have to keep a serpentine belt on hand for when that day comes.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Fellow HDHP monkeys, don't forget to up your HSA contributions. Open Enrollment started today. New family limit is $7,200/yr.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Holy fuck is it ever monday.

I've been on a conference call dealing with a HUGE network issue at one of our buildings since 7:30am. I think we just resolved it, for the most part. What shit show - not really the initial problem, but the circle of poo that started to be flung around by dhcp afterwords.

Still sitting at my kitchen table with the first coffee. I should probably not even bother driving to work at this point.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It's funny you've mentioned poutine this morning. Was reading an article about some cheese producers that are close to bankruptcy because restaurants are closed and poutine sale are way down.
the same is happening to potato farms in belgium. frites are hugely popular there.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
It was decided that I shall represent Canada in this GMT.
Feel free to ask any questions about your neighbor to the north.
Do you have any recommendations for where would be a good spot to get a cottage in the Laurentians? Me and my kids like to mountainbike and ski, and my wife like lakes. We are not wealthy.

Backstory, we've been talking about getting a cottage for a while. Then Covid hit and everyone bought places in the Laurentians, and everything is super expensive now. :( but no matter, probably won't be for this year anyways. My oldest really like mountain biking, and seems keen on lift assisted riding, which I think is pretty much only St-Sauveur in the Laurentians, right? It's about 2 hours from home, so probably as far as we're willing to go. I saw some places near Mont Habitant, but I don't really know that mountain. Is the skiing any good? We'd thought about Ste Marie, but it's really very small, and the community there is pretty... insular. Plus, I want my kids (especially my youngest) to be more exposed to francophone culture. He goes to school in French, and I speak French to him, but English is all around us, and none of his friends are French. I don't want him to become un assimilé.... I figure if we spend more time in a truly francophone environment, he'll pick up on it quick. It's a funny reason to buy a cottage, I'll admit, but identity politics really matter I guess... And when I sent him to a bike camp in Gatineau this summer, his french became far more fluid. All it took was one week.

(and how friggin ironic is it, that I typed this up in english...?!?! from one francophone to another, via an American site?!)

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Every year for our performance reviews we are supposed to have a company resume updated. This is supposed to be done by your manager but in reality the employee ends up doing it. I asked my manager if I needed to do the updated or if he was cool doing it himself. He responded only with a smiley. I love strong leadership with clear direction.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Crosschecked to-do list vs. available time today. Do not add up equally. Fuck.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Do you have any recommendations for where would be a good spot to get a cottage in the Laurentians? Me and my kids like to mountainbike and ski, and my wife like lakes. We are not wealthy.

Backstory, we've been talking about getting a cottage for a while. Then Covid hit and everyone bought places in the Laurentians, and everything is super expensive now. :( but no matter, probably won't be for this year anyways. My oldest really like mountain biking, and seems keen on lift assisted riding, which I think is pretty much only St-Sauveur in the Laurentians, right? It's about 2 hours from home, so probably as far as we're willing to go. I saw some places near Mont Habitant, but I don't really know that mountain. Is the skiing any good? We'd thought about Ste Marie, but it's really very small, and the community there is pretty... insular. Plus, I want my kids (especially my youngest) to be more exposed to francophone culture. He goes to school in French, and I speak French to him, but English is all around us, and none of his friends are French. I don't want him to become un assimilé.... I figure if we spend more time in a truly francophone environment, he'll pick up on it quick. It's a funny reason to buy a cottage, I'll admit, but identity politics really matter I guess... And when I sent him to a bike camp in Gatineau this summer, his french became far more fluid. All it took was one week.

(and how friggin ironic is it, that I typed this up in english...?!?! from one francophone to another, via an American site?!)
You seem to have it pretty figured out. Indeed the Laurentians had/is having a major housing boom. Within a few months our house gained 15% in value, and available good condition properties are getting scarce. Lift assisted riding is either Bromont (soon Sutton) or MSS Bike Park. There is tons and tons of riding around St-Sauveur even though Trailfork does not actually show this. The skiing is ok, but it's small hills. Tremblant is still pretty close if you are based in St-Sauveur. French will be learned for sure, but most people here are bilingual. Hit me up if you have more questions!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Guessing MSA is too far...