Quantcast

***Monday's GMT***

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Good Morning!!!

I've been battling some sinus-related issues for the last few days. I stayed home on Friday, and could probably do the same today...but jobs are piling up and the world doesn't stop. I took a few minutes this morning to feel sorry for myself, then put my boots on....

Pig My Fish - that double-doink heard 'round the world was madness yesterday.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
meh(meh^2)/meh

I can't inhale this coffee fast enough.

Taking the night off from any sort of outdoor activity for some needed bike maintenance. Have been riding the fat bike without a working front brake since last spring. Not that one is really needed on most trails, but when you start going down hills it sure makes it less sketchy...

Also should get around to getting a spare tube for the phat bike. What kind of tube fits a 4.8" tire? :confused:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
-5°F with the windchill this morning. I did not realize this when I left the house, and I grabbed the wrong mittens. I needed moar warmth. Thinking of grabbing these:

Anyone have any experience with them? I want to use them DH skiing, fatbiking, and commuting by bike in the winter (see above!). With an all-leather construction, primaloft insulation, and a wool lining I figure they're worth the investment. As long as they're warm enough...

anyways,

This weekend was busy. DH skiing on Saturday morning (I'm trying to teach the 6y.o. to ski. He can do it, but refuses to listen... so doesn't put all the elements together. we'll get there though, he's almost there, and I know he loves to go fast!). Then off to my brother's place for the rain-check on Christmas where my kids behaved so horribly, it was really remarkable.

Sunday morning bike ride, and afternoon the boys started their xc-ski club/lessons. I skiied for a bit with my wife, but the conditions were terrible for classic, so we packed it in after about 30 minutes. The kids loved it though. My oldest is in a group with a couple of his close friends, so that helps, and the learn-to-ski program for the little guy is all about getting comfortable on skis, so they play games and fart around. There's no emphasis on technique, it's just about getting used to having skis on to find their balance. He loves playing, so it went well, and I think it will cross over well with his DH skiing.

Since getting my Garmin watch for Christmas, my phone lives in the bowls of my pack while I'm riding/skiing. Which means no pictures while we're out. I just realized today that was one of the main reasons I actually used strava, was to have pictures while out on my rides. whithout the pictures, strava is kind of boring... I think that's going to have to change.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
-5°F with the windchill this morning. I did not realize this when I left the house, and I grabbed the wrong mittens. I needed moar warmth. Thinking of grabbing these:
For that price range I'd suggest you look at Hestra. I have the Army Patrol and 11/10 would buy again. They make a 3-finger version too.

Shit weekend. Meh.

I just got a call from a client. I answer and hear "hey, it's client. can I call you in 5 minutes?" me: "sure that's fine". client: "ok talk then".
:bonk:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
For that price range I'd suggest you look at Hestra. I have the Army Patrol and 11/10 would buy again. They make a 3-finger version too.

Shit weekend. Meh.

I just got a call from a client. I answer and hear "hey, it's client. can I call you in 5 minutes?" me: "sure that's fine". client: "ok talk then".
:bonk:

It’s a tarp

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Got a letter from the HOA about a commercial vehicle parked at the house. I will call today to let them know it isn't commercial and they can suck it. I will have the stickers off in another week, I hope.

Rain, moar rain, and I think even a little moar rain. Yay.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO

Anyone have any experience with them? I want to use them DH skiing, fatbiking, and commuting by bike in the winter (see above!). With an all-leather construction, primaloft insulation, and a wool lining I figure they're worth the investment. As long as they're warm enough...

anyways,

This weekend was busy. DH skiing on Saturday morning (I'm trying to teach the 6y.o. to ski. He can do it, but refuses to listen... so doesn't put all the elements together. we'll get there though, he's almost there, and I know he loves to go fast!). Then off to my brother's place for the rain-check on Christmas where my kids behaved so horribly, it was really remarkable.

Sunday morning bike ride, and afternoon the boys started their xc-ski club/lessons. I skiied for a bit with my wife, but the conditions were terrible for classic, so we packed it in after about 30 minutes. The kids loved it though. My oldest is in a group with a couple of his close friends, so that helps, and the learn-to-ski program for the little guy is all about getting comfortable on skis, so they play games and fart around. There's no emphasis on technique, it's just about getting used to having skis on to find their balance. He loves playing, so it went well, and I think it will cross over well with his DH skiing.

Since getting my Garmin watch for Christmas, my phone lives in the bowls of my pack while I'm riding/skiing. Which means no pictures while we're out. I just realized today that was one of the main reasons I actually used strava, was to have pictures while out on my rides. whithout the pictures, strava is kind of boring... I think that's going to have to change.
Kinkos baked with snow seal.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Any of you front rangers see the sunrise this morning? was quite a doozy looking down to the flats watching the colors.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Not if he needs more warmth... :think:
my hands never get cold. but have been told im a weirdo & dont wear my gloves lots. think my heart pumps really strong. my girl always has cold hands even in her heavy duty hestras.
Have to say though, making a class list the other day when it 3º & breezey. my finger tips stung for about 18 hours lol

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Another day of landscaping on tap at the in-laws. This place is a wreck and can use the help. As a side, I guess I have global warning to thank for the ground being soft enough to dig in January.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
my hands never get cold. but have been told im a weirdo & dont wear my gloves lots. think my heart pumps really strong. my girl always has cold hands even in her heavy duty hestras.
Have to say though, making a class list the other day when it 3º & breezey. my finger tips stung for about 18 hours lol
Yeah... for people like you, Kincos obviously would work fine. But as far as ski gloves go for most of the skiing public, they suck.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
FYI, I just scored a 100% on my Anti-Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing pre assessment. I don't have to retake the course because I am teh smarts.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
@stoney might be

Regular day here. Thinking of taking the kid skiing this weekend. Local mound has 2hr tickets for $11 each, then I get fucked on the rental, but at least I'm not paying $65 for a day pass for me when she's never been.

Trying to hang out with woody, but the damned fool keeps making it hard one me.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
they're a bit rare up here in Canada... in fact, I haven't found anywhere that carries the three-finger version. Also, the Army Patrol glove is 180 Canuckistan pesos, and Hestra never go on sale...
Kinkos baked with snow seal.
already have that. It's what I was riding in this morning.
Or just buy a pair of pogies (and use your current gloves...)
have those too. but I find them unnecessary when it's warmer than 5°F, so I take them off. Pulling them on and off is a bit of a faff. And then I'm left with the desire to use them on my commuter, and DH skiing.

thanks all for your suggestions tho...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

anyways,

black diamond makes nice gloves too.

if you want cheapo dirtbag gloves check out answer sleestak. i only use them for mtb tho.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
black diamond makes nice gloves too.

if you want cheapo dirtbag gloves check out answer sleestak. i only use them for mtb tho.
cool, thanks. Actually, those combined with these
upload_2019-1-7_13-49-23.png

would probably be perfect for my needs. But tracking both of those items down, and hoping they fit well together seems like too much work. I found a pair of the Dakines on sale from a boutique in Mont Tremblant. Ordered them at 13:00, and they shipped less than an hour later (oddly, from a Vancouver address...)