Quantcast

***Monday's GMT***

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
-5°F with the windchill this morning. I did not realize this when I left the house, and I grabbed the wrong mittens. I needed moar warmth. Thinking of grabbing these:

Anyone have any experience with them? I want to use them DH skiing, fatbiking, and commuting by bike in the winter (see above!). With an all-leather construction, primaloft insulation, and a wool lining I figure they're worth the investment. As long as they're warm enough...

anyways,

This weekend was busy. DH skiing on Saturday morning (I'm trying to teach the 6y.o. to ski. He can do it, but refuses to listen... so doesn't put all the elements together. we'll get there though, he's almost there, and I know he loves to go fast!). Then off to my brother's place for the rain-check on Christmas where my kids behaved so horribly, it was really remarkable.

Sunday morning bike ride, and afternoon the boys started their xc-ski club/lessons. I skiied for a bit with my wife, but the conditions were terrible for classic, so we packed it in after about 30 minutes. The kids loved it though. My oldest is in a group with a couple of his close friends, so that helps, and the learn-to-ski program for the little guy is all about getting comfortable on skis, so they play games and fart around. There's no emphasis on technique, it's just about getting used to having skis on to find their balance. He loves playing, so it went well, and I think it will cross over well with his DH skiing.

Since getting my Garmin watch for Christmas, my phone lives in the bowls of my pack while I'm riding/skiing. Which means no pictures while we're out. I just realized today that was one of the main reasons I actually used strava, was to have pictures while out on my rides. whithout the pictures, strava is kind of boring... I think that's going to have to change.
What's your price range you willing to spend?

If you don't mind spending the cash... look at some of the high end hunting gloves. You will find warm to hot, waterproof, windproof, moisture wicking, mobilitly, ability to throw a hand warmer in, thin build, toughness all rolled into one.

Also if you go sitka, you can spend dentist level moneys

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
What's your price range you willing to spend?

If you don't mind spending the cash... look at some of the high end hunting gloves. You will find warm to hot, waterproof, windproof, moisture wicking, mobilitly, ability to throw a hand warmer in, thin build, toughness all rolled into one.

Also if you go sitka, you can spend dentist level moneys
The only hunting supply store that I know of up here was LeBaron, but a google search informed me they closed down. There must be more, but I was getting tired of searching and that point!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
The only hunting supply store that I know of up here was LeBaron, but a google search informed me they closed down. There must be more, but I was getting tired of searching and that point!
Sportsmanswherehouse cables, bass pro, walmart.....

Or just google sitka....... while they are a pretty penny, they are quite nice

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Wifey made really good cauliflower and cheese soup last night, but it was mostly cauliflower unlike how it's normally made. Super good, but omg the roughage. I had a double last night and a double for lunch. I've since probably lost 5# and it's not letting up. Please FSM help me... I can't handle this much longer.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Wifey made really good cauliflower and cheese soup last night, but it was mostly cauliflower unlike how it's normally made. Super good, but omg the roughage. I had a double last night and a double for lunch. I've since probably lost 5# and it's not letting up. Please FSM help me... I can't handle this much longer.
I'm with you. I had half a can of sauerkraut to myself last night, and holy hell the toilets at work have been paying the price!

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
cauliflower farts smell like cauliflower

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
nothing but a gentle breeze and a light dusting

Howling winds whipped ridge tops around the Tahoe Basin Sunday as a fierce winter storm swept the northern Sierra Nevada mountain range.

A gust of 148.4 mph at a Squaw Valley peak was among the strongest. To put that in perspective, 140-mph winds have been known to pick up and hurl baseball-sized rocks.

The fastest gust ever recorded in California was a 199-mph wind blasting the summit of a peak at Alpine Meadows in Feb. 2017. New Hampshire's Mount Washington holds the record for fastest wind speed on U.S. soil — 231 mph.

ALSO: What a dump! Storm brings massive Sierra snowfall

Squaw and neighboring Alpine were among the many Tahoe resorts forced to temporarily close lifts Sunday as the system battered the region and dumped more than two feet of snow in 24 hours along the crest.

Alex Spychalsky, a spokesperson with Squaw, says lifts on the ridge were still on a wind hold Monday at Squaw and Alpine as crews worked on avalanche control and testing lifts.

"The lower mountain lifts are what's open, excluding KT22," Spychalsky says.

Squaw received 29 inches of snow at 8,500 feet in a 24-hour period spanning Sunday and Monday mornings, and she says conditions will be great for skiing once the operational work is complete.

"This storm brought our season snowfall total up to 147 inches, which is nearly double the total snowfall we had on this same date last season [75 inches]," she says.

Diamond Peak Ski received 30 inches, Northstar 26, Homewood 24, Mammoth 18, and Sierra at Tahoe 13.

Homewood reported a weekend snow total of 40 inches.

Light snow flurries were in the forecast for the Tahoe Basin through Monday at noon and conditions expected to clear in the afternoon, providing skiers with a window for enjoying all the fresh powder.

Another winter storm is slated to reach the Sierra Tuesday night and deliver another foot of snow with storm conditions persisting into Wednesday.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
nothing but a gentle breeze and a light dusting

Howling winds whipped ridge tops around the Tahoe Basin Sunday as a fierce winter storm swept the northern Sierra Nevada mountain range.

A gust of 148.4 mph at a Squaw Valley peak was among the strongest. To put that in perspective, 140-mph winds have been known to pick up and hurl baseball-sized rocks.

The fastest gust ever recorded in California was a 199-mph wind blasting the summit of a peak at Alpine Meadows in Feb. 2017. New Hampshire's Mount Washington holds the record for fastest wind speed on U.S. soil — 231 mph.

ALSO: What a dump! Storm brings massive Sierra snowfall

Squaw and neighboring Alpine were among the many Tahoe resorts forced to temporarily close lifts Sunday as the system battered the region and dumped more than two feet of snow in 24 hours along the crest.

Alex Spychalsky, a spokesperson with Squaw, says lifts on the ridge were still on a wind hold Monday at Squaw and Alpine as crews worked on avalanche control and testing lifts.

"The lower mountain lifts are what's open, excluding KT22," Spychalsky says.

Squaw received 29 inches of snow at 8,500 feet in a 24-hour period spanning Sunday and Monday mornings, and she says conditions will be great for skiing once the operational work is complete.

"This storm brought our season snowfall total up to 147 inches, which is nearly double the total snowfall we had on this same date last season [75 inches]," she says.

Diamond Peak Ski received 30 inches, Northstar 26, Homewood 24, Mammoth 18, and Sierra at Tahoe 13.

Homewood reported a weekend snow total of 40 inches.

Light snow flurries were in the forecast for the Tahoe Basin through Monday at noon and conditions expected to clear in the afternoon, providing skiers with a window for enjoying all the fresh powder.

Another winter storm is slated to reach the Sierra Tuesday night and deliver another foot of snow with storm conditions persisting into Wednesday.
I am really hoping that ended up moving my way.. We are seriously behind on snowfall.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Sublette was closed all day, a few of my amigos will get fat pow manana. For a few runs, at least. avy danger pretty strong, so inbounds day. Sounds like you hit Utah right as well...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Just finished my first VPP service that I started around midnight last night, encouraged by a few lagers. Besides having to deal with eleventy billionty small parts, it has been the simplest suspension job so far, but I see how this becomes a quarterly routine. Now enjoying Captain Lawrence's Powder Dreams NEIPA and reheating leftover rib eye from last night. :drool:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I ate Trout today. It wasn't fresh. I froze them in the summer. They sure were tasty. I remembered the day I caught them while I was eating them...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Still no time in the woods. This Xmas season has really taken it out of me. Just can't seem to get enough sleep. Gotta get caught up on a few orders then, maybe, I dunno, ride, hike, nap...