Quantcast

-- Monday's Ride Thread --

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
my 1st ride @ Yukon Ridge (Mass) w/ Mr. BerkshireRider on Saturday - 3 hours of saddle time & several big climbs = it hurt!
Some of the DH sections totally rocked - one trail definitely should be called roller coaster :D I will definitely be going back !

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Awesome ride on my new bike saturday. The colors were just wild. I love fall rides. Conditions were almost perfect. I love the leaves on the trails. Makes those boring old trails kind of fun. We did the Ellison secret trails and then finished with a quick loop through Tryon. Fun, fun stuff. New bike rocks.....jdcamb

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
No riding this weekend, but I did get to the gym twice. Saturday was a lost cause because I had to go to a birthday party. Yesterday, I got a ton of much needed "stuff" done. Yesterday was a good day.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I worked all weekend. No riding. I did clean my bike though if that counts for anything. I was supposed to do a night ride tonight with birkshire_rider, but my flu ridden body is saying no. I'm going to try and get out at least once this week as I have Wed., Thurs. & Fri. off. Friday night our shop (Elevate Cycles) is "premiering" NWD V, sponsored in part by Olde Saratoga Brewery, so that should be a blast! :thumb:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
more urban this weekend. we took the video camera out so i could see what i was doing right and what i was doing wrong. surprisingly, i felt that i was jumping much much higher than i was. plan on trying to get some more in today after i get off work.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Sunday we gathered for a ride a Green Mt..
Oly, Snacks, Trailhacker, the Mutolis, Ryan, ioscope, evilbob, and me.
It was good times, about a 14 miler with fair elevation (1300feet). Trailhacker brought his Demo 9 with a 888 up front, to everyone's amazement he didn't die pedaling that pig on the journey. i led the expedition for the most part and conned everyone into going on a newer spur trail than nobody including myself had been on. it turned out to be a real nice technical trail, everybody was stoked for riding it. Which is nice because the trail could have sucked and they could have all threw me down a cliff.
Anyways after that it was back on the forest road for about 3 miles of climbing up to the top. We met a couple of riders new to the area and turned em onto the monkey, since they're in the Navy and always on the move felt like that would be a great resource for info, as we all know. Then it was time to bomb down Wildcat trail, nice wide trail with hard pack rocky terrain, with plenty of lips to catch air, and all kinds of berms to carry speed.
Was good times. i still can't believe Trailhacker rode his Demo9 the whole way...... :oink:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Ahhhhhh winter is in the air! The trails were a bit crunchy and still frozen from the evening chill. I love the sounds of my tires on frozen dirt and pine needles. Bright warm sun, but cold air. LOVE IT!

Got a few hours in yesterday after just riding to the gym on Saturday. I can't believe how awesome it was outside yesterday. :dancing: :dancing: :thumb:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I got up early on Sunday morning and went for a short ride on my Belair - it was fun to pedal, but the Manitou X-Vert Air fork I have on the bike now leaked air so by the time I got home I didn't really have much front suspension. I hope it was just a the change in temps from warm (inside my apt.) to colder (outside riding) that caused the fork to lose air like that. this is the first time the fork has lost air like this.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
jdcamb said:
Awesome ride on my new bike saturday. The colors were just wild. I love fall rides. Conditions were almost perfect. I love the leaves on the trails. Makes those boring old trails kind of fun. We did the Ellison secret trails and then finished with a quick loop through Tryon. Fun, fun stuff. New bike rocks.....jdcamb
Is it a new Truth Jim?

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I got out for a good 25 miler on Sunday with the new bike. Fairly cool and overcast the entire ride, but it never rained on us. Rode with a couple new people which was nice. Got my ass handed to me on the climbs. Who would have thought that 2 months off the bike would affect your endurance?

Let me tell you, Maxxis Lawson TT's are the WORST tires for XC in sandy loose conditions. These were the tires spec'ed on the new ride, and I didn't have time to buy some XC friendly tires, so I just rode these. First off, the damn things weigh over 1100g each. I could feel the weight of these pigs with every pedal stroke. Second, the low profile tread, while may be optimal for fast hardpack, is useless in sand. I was washing out in every corner.

The bike itself felt great. Quick stutter bumps which used to make my Isis buck like a rodeo horse were no problem. Climbing in the middle ring felt really smooth. The Talas at 130mm is a bit tall for climbing, but once I dropped it down to 100mm it felt much better. I think I have to give the nod to the Isis for climbing in granny gear, but I'll need to try the 575 with different tires to really tell. The Isis was a great granny climber.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Got in 2 nice rides this weekend, which was awesome considering the forecast was crap!

Yesterday before the ride I was going through my SS, and noticed the chain was a little loose. But I figured it wasn't too bad and just rode it.

So towards the end of the ride, we're coming up on a pretty tough hill. Just steep enough and long enough that it's hard to make on the SS. But it's rideable. I've got Mtbkngrl and Gee Spot in front, so I back off to give them room so I don't run up on them halfway up. Tweek's behind me, heckling me to put the hammer down and make the hill. I pick the perfect moment and lay down the power. I'm f*ckin' MOVING. Stomping for all I'm worth. Gonna make the hill easy. All the sudden that moment where I decided not to tighten my chain reappears in my brain as the chain comes off mid high speed power stroke. Usually when I wreck there's a small moment when I think I can save it. There was no such moment this time. I hit the ground instantly and tangled myself up nicely in the bike. I was sure I was gonna be hurt.

But amazingly, all I got was a few bruises. No bike damage, no broken bones.

So I guess it was a good ride :D

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
jdcamb said:
Bumped up to a California Id. The sweet part is that it didn't cost me anything out of pocket. Very cool bike. I love the Fifth Element Air on it. That shock changes everything I have ever known about suspension. Nice ride. When the smoke clears I will put up a review if you would like.....jdcamb
What is a California Id? Does it differ somehow from a regular Ellsworth ID?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
MMcG said:
What is a California Id? Does it differ somehow from a regular Ellsworth ID?
It is a Id with a shorter stroke shock on it. Reduces the travel and lowers the BB. Put it right were I need it. That and I can run a 19" frame so it fits me better the the regular Id. So far so good.....

pixelninja said:
How'ed you swing that?
They called me last week and asked me what I needed to clear up the warranty. I said I just needed the money to buy the 2 parts I needed "to upgrade" my old frame. About a hour later they called me and gave me 2 choices. I said I didn't have the money for thier choices. They said I didn't have to worry about it as I have been a good customer and the like. They sent me the new frame. They basically took care of me. I don't know what to say. I guess they didn't want to worry about my warranty for the next 3 months that it would have taken me to come up with the money for thier "upgrade". I am not complaining......jdcamb

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
jdcamb said:
It is a Id with a shorter stroke shock on it. Reduces the travel and lowers the BB. Put it right were I need it. That and I can run a 19" frame so it fits me better the the regular Id. So far so good.....
Is just the stroke shorter, or is it also shorter eye to eye?

jdcamb said:
They called me last week and asked me what I needed to clear up the warranty. I said I just needed the money to buy the 2 parts I needed "to upgrade" my old frame. About a hour later they called me and gave me 2 choices. I said I didn't have the money for thier choices. They said I didn't have to worry about it as I have been a good customer and the like. They sent me the new frame. They basically took care of me. I don't know what to say. I guess they didn't want to worry about my warranty for the next 3 months that it would have taken me to come up with the money for thier "upgrade". I am not complaining......jdcamb
That's awesome! Sounds like Ells really stepped up and took care of you.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
pixelninja said:
Is just the stroke shorter, or is it also shorter eye to eye?
Yes 7.5 instead of 7.78. Same stroke as it is still 2"....

That's awesome! Sounds like Ells really stepped up and took care of you.
Sadly not the case. I had to force the issue. They did the right thing but should have done the right thing instead of jerking us around. Well lets just say all is well that ends well......jdcamb

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
my 1st ride @ Yukon Ridge (Mass) w/ Mr. BerkshireRider on Saturday - 3 hours of saddle time & several big climbs = it hurt! Some of the DH sections totally rocked - one trail definitely should be called roller coaster I will definitely be going back !
One of my favorite rides. We can add another 2 hours there by going out to Bosquet and back. :dead:

Have to take you over to Potter Mtn sometime, as well. Another sweet trail system. :cool:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Echo said:
Got in 2 nice rides this weekend, which was awesome considering the forecast was crap!

Yesterday before the ride I was going through my SS, and noticed the chain was a little loose. But I figured it wasn't too bad and just rode it.

So towards the end of the ride, we're coming up on a pretty tough hill. Just steep enough and long enough that it's hard to make on the SS. But it's rideable. I've got Mtbkngrl and Gee Spot in front, so I back off to give them room so I don't run up on them halfway up. Tweek's behind me, heckling me to put the hammer down and make the hill. I pick the perfect moment and lay down the power. I'm f*ckin' MOVING. Stomping for all I'm worth. Gonna make the hill easy. All the sudden that moment where I decided not to tighten my chain reappears in my brain as the chain comes off mid high speed power stroke. Usually when I wreck there's a small moment when I think I can save it. There was no such moment this time. I hit the ground instantly and tangled myself up nicely in the bike. I was sure I was gonna be hurt.

But amazingly, all I got was a few bruises. No bike damage, no broken bones.

So I guess it was a good ride :D
:eek: Glad you and the SS are ok :thumb:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Well I got in one last day of BigBear. On Tuesday it will probably snow.

Went up with SpookyDave and got in about 9-10 runs. Conditions were PERFECT.
Moist and Tacky... almost no mud. Temps in the 50's.
By far the best BigBear day I've had all season.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Had a fun ride up at Clifford Park in Biddeford, ME this weekend. Thanks to Rockland for the tip. There were quite a few short trails, not a lot of climbing, but plenty of fun rocks to play on and even some cool stunts and singletrack. I will have to try to post some pics from home tonight.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
TreeSaw said:
Had a fun ride up at Clifford Park in Biddeford, ME this weekend. Thanks to Rockland for the tip. There were quite a few short trails, not a lot of climbing, but plenty of fun rocks to play on and even some cool stunts and singletrack. I will have to try to post some pics from home tonight.
Biddeford huh? Thems my old stomping grounds. Smells great there huh? :p

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
McGRP01 said:
Biddeford huh? Thems my old stomping grounds. Smells great there huh? :p
Biddeford doesn't smell that bad. Did you live there? The only thing that smelled from time to time was MERC. Live on hot days when the garbage was stewing. :eek:

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
Met a few friends, Brian and Tim (gravityfreakTJ), after work on friday and did a quick 12mile night ride.

Saturday morning around 7:00 met my buddies Thomas (Tgaines72) and Shawn (l8APX) and squezed about 15 or so miles befor the rain came. Then Thomas and I headed to the gym for a few hours.

Sunday Met Tim (gravityfreakTJ) and Todd and pretty much rode all day except for a quick Taco break at a local mexicain joint.

The weather is gonna be perfect all this week so plenty more riding to come. :thumb:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
pixelninja said:
Let me tell you, Maxxis Lawson TT's are the WORST tires for XC in sandy loose conditions. These were the tires spec'ed on the new ride, and I didn't have time to buy some XC friendly tires, so I just rode these.

The Talas at 130mm is a bit tall for climbing, but once I dropped it down to 100mm it felt much better.
I just tried out some new Maxxis tires on this ride actually. With a bit of apprehension i bought some Minions 2.35. i really was looking for a 2.1 to a 2.2 combo, but i was pleasantly suprised to find that Maxxis actually run real small once you get them on and full of air. The 2.35's are more like 2.2's which is cool with me.
The front seems to pack which sucks around the muddy PNW so i'm thinking in the future of running 2 rears for it really seems to grip and track well. Got some more abuse to see if it'll hold up to a winter around here before i rave about em though....
You'll learn how to dial in the travel on the Talas at will. It's amazing to be able to do it while still riding, that's what i do. One click one way or the other is 3 mils cool! Only problem is they should have the increments increase going clockwise, would be easier to remember, and would make more sense, but whatevah....

WestCoastHucker said:
woohooo....
Photoshop!!!!
jus kiddin. :)

johnbryanpeters said:
Nothing Saturday, went out with a crew Sunday, built a bunch of trail in Hinesburg, then rode it. Supposed to be building more 7 November.

J
Did you kill any moss? :D