Quantcast

-- Monday's Ride Thread --

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Since I actually rode this weekend, I feel it's appropriate to do a ride thread today.

Had some decent weather over the weekend so the roads finally started to clear a bit. I was kind of limited as to where I could ride by icy roads, but for the most part I was able to ride a good loop. My head/ears were awfully cold, especially at higher speeds so I cut the ride short at about 1 hour. I did about 8 miles and one really good climb. Had some numbness set in... gotta get that addressed at some point, but all in all it was a good ride. Felt good to back on the bike. I'm definitely in bad shape, but considering the time of year, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

Anyone else ride this weekend?

Rode and pushed for about two hours moving time yesterday, 8.27 miles. Gravel/paved road portion was OK, once in the woods it was rough. Foot and ski traffic mucked up the snow enough to screw up directional control but not enough to provide a stable riding platform. 25 defrees F, maybe. North wind was uncomfortable when on the open road. Freehub was dragging, which was a pain in the ass.

Good expedition overall.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Got in a very short ride on Saturday. It was not that cold, just below freezing, but the cold air was giving me a bit of an asthma attack so I cut the ride short.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I put a 20mm wheel on my cheeta last night and rode it around for about 15 minutes - does that count?

IAB - what shop did you take your bike to?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I Are Baboon said:
Pedal Power.

I am going to use the Benindorm gift cert you gave me to get a new seat post for the Spice. :)
that's a long ass haul to get bike work done - you should slowly try to migrate over to Benidorm methinks.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MMcG said:
that's a long ass haul to get bike work done - you should slowly try to migrate over to Benidorm methinks.
Yeah, but I have a relationship developed with Pedal Power and it'll suck to have to start fresh. If I ever have a problem that needs to be fixed ASAP, Pedal Power drops what they are doing to get me back on my bike, plus I always deal directly with the owners. I can't imagine a new shop taking care of me like that. For that personal servce, I'll drive an extra 30 minutes.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I Are Baboon said:
Yeah, but I have a relationship developed with Pedal Power and it'll suck to have to start fresh. If I ever have a problem that needs to be fixed ASAP, Pedal Power drops what they are doing to get me back on my bike, plus I always deal directly with the owners. I can't imagine a new shop taking care of me like that. For that personal servce, I'll drive an extra 30 minutes.
And then grab a beer or two at Eli Cannons or whatever it's called down there in Middletown!
:thumb:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I Are Baboon said:
For that personal servce, I'll drive an extra 30 minutes.
I know what you mean. I'm happy to make the 2hour drive to Rochester when I need something. For smaller off-the-shelf type stuff, I'll occasionally buy from a local shop (I ride with the owners, so it's cool to support them as well), but for bigger purchases, or anything that needs some attention, I'll make the drive to TrailBlazers.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
Got a ride in yesterday (sort of). Pushed to the top of the hill overlooking town, with the hope of getting a couple runs in. It's switchback access rd. It gets alot of snowmobile traffic. I had hope this would pack it down enough to ride. Wrong. It sucked. Pedaling to a dead stop going down hill. Pure crap.

J

JRB

I rode yesterday for a bit. I found one wet spot that the horses had chewed up. (I hate that horse people ride when it is damp, 1400 lbs does damage even when bikes and runners don't:mad:) I rode 10 or 12 miles and then it started to rain. It wasn't too bad, but most of the trail has driftwood from when the lake was up so high. I should've gone and ridden on the road with Wumpus on Saturday, but I hate riding in the rain.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I rode Friday about 5 miles. Very powdery conditions and it was hard. Saturday we reluctantly went out. Conditions were better but not primo. The packed crown of the trail kept breaking loose. so you would ride 100/200' and the suddenly be off the trail. Momentum and tubeless tires were your friends. I don't know how many miles we did. On Sunday conditions were much better. The trails were more packed and wider. The skiers really smoothed out the bomb track and we got to do some runs down Cobbs Hill. We just kicked it out and it was fun. I think we got 8 miles in. My bike is working excellent. It was nice to spend some time on the bike.....jdcamb

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Got a ride in last week. Condition were perfect althought a bit cold at -15c.