Quantcast

***Mondaze GMT***

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Survived the extreme cold this weekend by not leaving the house. We even skipped out on my son's ski lessons yesterday since it was 3*F outside and didn't want to run the chance of my son getting frostbite.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Survived the extreme cold this weekend by not leaving the house. We even skipped out on my son's ski lessons yesterday since it was 3*F outside and didn't want to run the chance of my son getting frostbite.
Rode both days, but it was only 15°F here (without wind chill)

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:wave:

Girls are home from school again. Apparently a holiday of some sort? Meanwhile, back to manning oars on the slave ship.
Manning oars on the slave ship, I like that one.

Oops! Back to work, Master caught me taking a break. Don't want to upset Master.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Rode both days, but it was only 15°F here (without wind chill)
It was damn cold here in the ROC this weekend. Saturday was a high of 0*F with 15-20mph wind and yesterday it got up to around 12*F later on in the afternoon but still some decent wind.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
kid's school cancelled for..."potentially icy conditions"...hrmmf. fortunately my work follows school schedule. unfortunately, i still have crap to do.

someone's fed exes gonna be delayed by that pileup in PA. @jonKranked you expecting any bike parts? bongshed supplies? might be a few days...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
kid's school cancelled for..."potentially icy conditions"...hrmmf. fortunately my work follows school schedule. unfortunately, i still have crap to do.

someone's fed exes gonna be delayed by that pileup in PA. @jonKranked you expecting any bike parts? bongshed supplies? might be a few days...
Actually getting a good amount of snow here. Supposed to be in the 50s tomorrow so I don't plan on lifting a finger to clear any of it.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Mariko finished pinkeye meds last night. Today Yuna's right eye transitioned from several days of threatening wateriness to outright infected goopiness. The cycle of germs continues.

The one upside is that I can call in the Rx myself and save the cost of another pediatrician visit (non-negligible since HDHP). IAB will understand what HDHP means.

It has gotten up to ten degrees F, and is to slowly continue to rise, preparing for snow, sleet, then rain tomorrow, which is to say that a nice black ice transition is in the offing.

I have been hibernating for about three days, so my little coding project has made significant headway.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Question for @dan-o, @cecil and other types in the know: About how much should a plumber installing an instant hot water dispenser cost?

This is for labor only: we already have the unit, power cord, and the hole in the counter pre-drilled. There's already a spare 120V outlet under the sink and the plumbing down there is PEX.

I got a quote for $275 and that seems rich... This would be for adding another water cutoff, making a 2 foot run of PEX to the dispenser, and plugging it in.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I wish the alarm function on my phone was intelligent enough to know that today is a holiday and therefor does not need to wake me up at 6am.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Question for @dan-o, @cecil and other types in the know: About how much should a plumber installing an instant hot water dispenser cost?

This is for labor only: we already have the unit, power cord, and the hole in the counter pre-drilled. There's already a spare 120V outlet under the sink and the plumbing down there is PEX.

I got a quote for $275 and that seems rich... This would be for adding another water cutoff, making a 2 foot run of PEX to the dispenser, and plugging it in.
DIY.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I'm leaning that way if that's really what plumbers charge. Amazon Home Services has a local guy advertising "Hot Water Dispenser Installation" for under $100... At that point I'd pay the dude. I sent him a message to clarify that that includes the actual plumbing part. I can screw the unit to the countertop without an issue: it's the PEX and water shutoff that I don't want to deal with if I don't have to.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

No FedEx. And that accident was a ways away from me.

You would be stiffing them for the markup on the heater...

They have drive time and the actual work, plus time discussing it with you.

Suck it up and pay or do it yourself. It would cost you about $100 to buy a PEX cutter and crimper plus whatever pieces you might need. If you do it, keep track of your time planning, chasing materials, and doing the work, assign yourself an hour rate and say a buck a mile for however far you drive. The $275 will start to look like a bargain.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm leaning that way if that's really what plumbers charge. Amazon Home Services has a local guy advertising "Hot Water Dispenser Installation" for under $100... At that point I'd pay the dude. I sent him a message to clarify that that includes the actual plumbing part. I can screw the unit to the countertop without an issue: it's the PEX and water shutoff that I don't want to deal with if I don't have to.
You are now a homo-ner. This will not be the first time you will have to deal with shit like this. A trip to the Home Depot and a little manual labor is a lot easier than dealing with unknown variables of hired labour. And if you are going the budget route, consider that you will be just as likely to deal with poor quality as if you did it yourself. I think it is safe to say you have the acuity to sort out something this simple. Save the plumbers for sewage pipes.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
That's in the ballpark for a service call.
Maybe a little high but customer supplied parts can be a nightmare (we don't allow it) and your house is 'out there'.
Of all the trades, plumbers is where I'd build a relationship; they can save your ass in an emergency.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Ok. Sounds like my options are Amazon Home Services (pending clarification of service extent) or SIUP/DIY.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Morning. Home with the kiddos on school break. Got a bad flat (i.e. not fixable, but is being replaced) on my car on the way to Cortland on Friday night. Got it change and got home when it was 15. Trip out on Saturday was windy and cold but Syd managed her first overall win!!!! SO proud. 1st on beam and vault, 2nd on floor and 6th on bars (by .05) managed to get her the overall win. She's really good at this gymnastics thing!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
YouTube it... I am not a master of anything home related but can tell you from experience that flexible pipe in blue and red with compression fittings are very easy to master.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
So, a guy I am hiring for an ownership of a new product came with a request for a signed commitment to be promoted to my level 12 months from now because he is too senior for this job. :think: Dafuq, he has many friends in the organization so this may just happen. :crazy:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
So, a guy I am hiring for an ownership of a new product came with a request for a signed commitment to be promoted to my level 12 months from now because he is too senior for this job. :think: Dafuq, he has many friends in the organization so this may just happen. :crazy:
That is totally effed up, whatever happened to performance based compensation? My instinct would would be to drop him... so what if his abilities exceed the job. Do you pay on capability or actual results. I'd have HR draft a note that places quite a few contingencies based on his success.

EDIT: Lawsuit waiting to happen.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head

Do they need to connect gas to it also?
Do you have the new aireator?
$125-$150 sounds more like what it should cost

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Nothing like waiting for a late train in -2F.
3*F outside
only 15°F here (without wind chill)
high of 0*F with 15-20mph wind and yesterday it got up to around 12*F
Went for a ride without my shirt on Friday and Saturday. California still doesn't understand how to winter.

Things I ate after midnight last night:
In n Out double double
chocolate shake
burrito from the freezer
a bunch of dried bananas

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:rofl:

Guy I used to work with here had one of those, he claimed it was fun in the snow. I happend to own a 92 with a v6 in it for a couple years, it was shockingly fast and terrible on gas. They both suffered from a bad case of having the ford 3 speed automatic. If that car has 81k on it, it has at best 10 k more before the tranny shells out. I gave mine away to some friends who were in a bad way when I bought a new car and it barely lasted a year after that, and my coworker left his on the side of the road when his transmission went. You'd have to give me 5 grand to take that car.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
:rofl:

Guy I used to work with here had one of those, he claimed it was fun in the snow. I happend to own a 92 with a v6 in it for a couple years, it was shockingly fast and terrible on gas. They both suffered from a bad case of having the ford 3 speed automatic. If that car has 81k on it, it has at best 10 k more before the tranny shells out. I gave mine away to some friends who were in a bad way when I bought a new car and it barely lasted a year after that, and my coworker left his on the side of the road when his transmission went. You'd have to give me 5 grand to take that car.
Those were some really forgetable cars. My first car was an '85 T-Bird. I don't know if it is because of nostalgia but for the era, I think they were pretty attractive cars. It was pretty fun to drive on the packed snow streets for 6 months a year where I went to college in Northern New York. Build quality and reliability were fucking atrocious.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
My dad had a Ford Tempo as his beater car when we lived in Mercer Island. POS, that was. I think he bought it for $2k and sold it for $1.2k since he's not good with money that way.

Do they need to connect gas to it also?
Do you have the new aireator?
$125-$150 sounds more like what it should cost
This is all electric and there's already an outlet. I think I have all the necessary non-plumbing parts.

Is this for your high-roller ass washer?

If so, spare no expense!
Ass washer is fully hooked up and functional. Everybody likes a clean butt, right? :D Instead this is for coffee/tea hot water in the kitchen sink.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
If you don't change the fawcett aireator the water will go through point of use water heater too fast and will not heat properly

This is a common problem people feel they don't have enough water pressure so they remove the aireator then complain they have no hot water

Also what is the tempature differential this is capable of?
If it only increases the incoming water 50 degrees and your incoming water temp is 40 then you will only get 90 degree water

I'm sure you already looked into this

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Went for a ride without my shirt on Friday and Saturday. California still doesn't understand how to winter.

Things I ate after midnight last night:
In n Out double double
chocolate shake
burrito from the freezer
a bunch of dried bananas
That must have been a long trip to the bong shed if you were that hungry