Quantcast

***Mondaze GMT***

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The guy I lent my Bosch Hammer drill to says he gave it back to me. I don't have it. Now instead of flying off the handle I asked his brother to handle it. It was in my vestibule this morning along with my Greenlee Holesaw Kit which I completely forgot about....

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
It has its own spout so I'm not sure how the faucet aerator would affect it? It also has a little holding tank. I'm sure it's not capable of real-time heating since it's 120V but it should give near-boiling water up to the tank's capacity.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It has its own spout so I'm not sure how the faucet aerator would affect it? It also has a little holding tank. I'm sure it's not capable of real-time heating since it's 120V but it should give near-boiling water up to the tank's capacity.
I am sure if you searched hard enough you could find one of these with wifi to match your toaster. Mine can heat a cups worth of water for tea in the time it takes me to get a mug and tea bag.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Overlapping bucket elevator is fixed. Now we are breaking bales again. Running Cascades today, these guys are easy on the lungs. Drinking coffee and eating a pink lady. Then taking my lbs mechanic out to lunch... little does he know he's gonna be pressing in a new headset for me this week. I am a sucker for shiny bike bits.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
That is totally effed up, whatever happened to performance based compensation? My instinct would would be to drop him... so what if his abilities exceed the job. Do you pay on capability or actual results. I'd have HR draft a note that places quite a few contingencies based on his success.

EDIT: Lawsuit waiting to happen.
My new boss is losing credit quickly. :banghead:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
That must have been a long trip to the bong shed if you were that hungry
Got epicly baked, dressed up like fools with my lady and went out to see Zoolander 2 with a thermos full of lime, OJ, and tequila.

Zoolander.jpg

Things I ate at the movie/at the bar after:
Soft pretzel
Churros
Snickers ice cream bar
Beet salad
Sriracha chicken and waffles

To be clear I skipped breakfast and I'm not even interested in lunch yet.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Company holiday today and the end of my 4.5 day weekend. It's been a fun ride. Today's accomplishments:

3000 yard swim in the morning.
3.5 mile run in the afternoon (freezing rain and cold ffs).
Deadpool in between.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Just treated myself to a new pair of shoes for the biking season. I've been stuffing my feet into too small Mavics for the past 1.5 years and to tell you the truth I kind of dreaded going for a ride for that reason. Back to something a little bit more comfortable I go.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I am sure if you searched hard enough you could find one of these with wifi to match your toaster. Mine can heat a cups worth of water for tea in the time it takes me to get a mug and tea bag.

Wife wanted in-counter hot water and I didn't/don't care enough to object.

I ended up installing the unit myself. Took 20 minutes. Water is not hooked up. Now that I read the instructions and actually look under the sink things are different than I thought.

What I have now: 1/2" copper with single shutoff valve at base of cabinet. 1/2" male threaded, I think, with a flexible braided stainless line going to the faucet.

What I need: replace single with double shutoff valve. One limb will still go to faucet. Other needs to bridge about 18" and somehow terminate on the fitting-less 1/4" copper that is the hot water unit's input.

I'm sure there exists every kind of adapter imaginable such that this is possible but nevertheless I put a request for bids on Amazon Home Services for this one job. If under $100 I'm going to pay up. (I figure it's going to be at least $25 in parts plus time spent scratching my head and wandering around Home Depot.)

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Glad I got three rides in on the new Spitty before the trails get soggy.

@Toshi, if you're mechanically inclined then invest in a few new tools and learn to do some home repairs yourself. Or at least long enough to pay off your med school education, then pay a pro and enjoy your spare more.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Ugh..

Warm weather makes me want to break out the beemer, but it needs new battery.

1. AGM; available immediately, moderately priced, questionable life span in a big single, heavy.
2. LiIon; have to mail order, kind of spendy, about 40% of the weight of AGM and half the size.

#firstworldproblems.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
It appears gastro has reared it's ugly head in my household today. First my youngest, and now me. I'm not entirely there yet, but given the way I feel, I'm sure I'm not far behind.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Ugh..

Warm weather makes me want to break out the beemer, but it needs new battery.

1. AGM; available immediately, moderately priced, questionable life span in a big single, heavy.
2. LiIon; have to mail order, kind of spendy, about 40% of the weight of AGM and half the size.

#firstworldproblems.

///Motorcycle

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Wife wanted in-counter hot water and I didn't/don't care enough to object.

I ended up installing the unit myself. Took 20 minutes. Water is not hooked up. Now that I read the instructions and actually look under the sink things are different than I thought.

What I have now: 1/2" copper with single shutoff valve at base of cabinet. 1/2" male threaded, I think, with a flexible braided stainless line going to the faucet.

What I need: replace single with double shutoff valve. One limb will still go to faucet. Other needs to bridge about 18" and somehow terminate on the fitting-less 1/4" copper that is the hot water unit's input.

I'm sure there exists every kind of adapter imaginable such that this is possible but nevertheless I put a request for bids on Amazon Home Services for this one job. If under $100 I'm going to pay up. (I figure it's going to be at least $25 in parts plus time spent scratching my head and wandering around Home Depot.)
Ace Hardware $10 and 10 minutes... the service at my local ace is miles ahead of Home Depot.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Ace Hardware $10 and 10 minutes... the service at my local ace is miles ahead of Home Depot.
Good call. I'll give them a shot. If I knew exactly the sizes and names of what I was dealing with it'd be easy (or if I had every size possible in my work truck like a plumber). I'm not sure if it's NPT or pipe thread, 3/8" or 1/2"...

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I'm now $60 and change poorer thanks to my local ///Ace. The guy was helpful.

For the morbidly curious: 1/2" MIP on the existing shutoff valve (I think/hope) -> double shutoff valve with 1/2" FIP in and two 1/2" compression outs. One should go to the existing faucet line, in theory. The other will go to a 1' length 1/2" copper pipe, with an elbow on the far end that has a 1/2" compression fitting on one side and a 1/4" on the other. That, finally, should let me string up a piece of 1/4" icemaker supply hose to a female-female 1/4" compression fitting that should join up with the copper from the hot water machine...

Lots of places to leak is my first thought, and everything's still in the bag as of yet... :D

Update: Totally wrong sizes of stuff. The faucet hose that I was using as a template was 1/2" NPT on the faucet side, not the shutoff valve side (3/8" compression with fine, pipe? thread).

Last edited:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I read that pipe thread calls for the Teflon tape (that I have in a drawer from sealing up baby sippy cups, of all things :D ) but not NPT since that works through compression.

In any case I bought totally wrong sizes of stuff so it's all moot.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I saw one of my childhood dream cars today and I wasn't let down.

Two cars over was a Singer Porsche, which I am now regretting not taking a picture of. That thing was spotless.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Step 1:

I rode tonight, 1 hour in a snow storm, white stuff covering icy trails quickly. Studded tires did their job although there were a few moments when the rear wheel decided to go sideways regardless. The worst thing about riding while it snows at night is that you can't see crap.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Step 1:

I rode tonight, 1 hour in a snow storm, white stuff covering icy trails quickly. Studded tires did their job although there were a few moments when the rear wheel decided to go sideways regardless. The worst thing about riding while it snows at night is that you can't see crap.
Turn the lights to low and GIVE'R. It usually works out okay. :brows:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I read that pipe thread calls for the Teflon tape (that I have in a drawer from sealing up baby sippy cups, of all things :D ) but not NPT since that works through compression.

I would still use a light layer of teflon tape on NPT. It is not there to seal but to allow you to tighten and get proper compression in a low friction environment. Even more important when you have to clock a fitting. NPT sizes are also fucking stupid. 1/4 NPT is closer to half an inch if you actually measure.

Just be happy you don't have to sort out NPT, BPT and JIS all on the same application.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I don't have calipers. My confusion about sizes arose when I misread the label on similar size tubing in another bathroom. It has 1/2" NPT on one end, 3/8" compression on the other. I didn't catch that the shutoff valve side is the one that has the 3/8" compression fitting...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Oops, I blame me and the fact that I live less tan a mile from a great ACE Hardware so when I screw up the time commitment isn't so bad. At this point though you have to win... the weekends just a few days away. :)