Quantcast

***Mondaze GMT***

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

I hope to get a yob offer today, that would be cool. I have 4 weeks here, but the boss said before the break he was trying for more time as my role keeps expanding. If they made me full time here, I could see it. The other gig I am still not sure about, but if they offer a truck load of cash, I will likely take it because I like money.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Also, $1200 for a BMX bike? Am I just THAT old when it seems like a non titanium, not FTW, 20" BMX should be no more than a grand? Or have I just not kept my finger on the pulse of today's BMX industry?
no, you haven't. it's higher quality japanese chromoly, and has a lifetime frame & fork warranty.

besides, its easy to build bmx bikes in the $1500 range. and that's not counting the carbon race bikes. the carbon frames start at a grand.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Hello all. I rode my bike into work and it was quite ok. On the other hand, I am at work. On the other other hand I am not unsure of employment a month out--that uncertainty sucks, j.d.

Edit for clarity: I am employed. I will be employed in a month. I am sympathizing with how not knowing a month out, like with jimmydean's current contract gig, would be tough.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
back at the office. holidays were pretty decent all in all. got some skiing in, got some time in at a ski-in condo, got some movie-watching in (Rise of Skywalker and Knives Out in theaters, Irishman on Netflix), got some fatbike rides in, got some kid-free time alone at home with my wife, got some "shared experience" time with the kid this past weekend at his xc ski race team annual sleepover (which wasn't as shitty as I'd expected despite not being able to enjoy the beer and whiskey I'd brought).

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
no, you haven't. it's higher quality japanese chromoly, and has a lifetime frame & fork warranty.

besides, its easy to build bmx bikes in the $1500 range. and that's not counting the carbon race bikes. the carbon frames start at a grand.
The carbon setups I could see being that spendy. But the "lifetime warranty" seems funny. The way BMX bikes are overbuilt these days, are folks really breaking a lot of frames?

Granted, my last real look at BMX before now was 18 years ago. I was looking at bikes on Alibaba that looked pretty good for $150. I could see maybe $500 to $700 for a legit BMX, but I just don't see $1200 in materials, labor, R&D in that We the People.

If the shipping on the Alibaba bike wasn't $180, I would likely get the 18" for Lil Man. As much as I love that kid, $250 for his next bike is by far the max.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The carbon setups I could see being that spendy. But the "lifetime warranty" seems funny. The way BMX bikes are overbuilt these days, are folks really breaking a lot of frames?

Granted, my last real look at BMX before now was 18 years ago. I was looking at bikes on Alibaba that looked pretty good for $150. I could see maybe $500 to $700 for a legit BMX, but I just don't see $1200 in materials, labor, R&D in that We the People.

If the shipping on the Alibaba bike wasn't $180, I would likely get the 18" for Lil Man. As much as I love that kid, $250 for his next bike is by far the max.
oh don't get me wrong, you can get a bangin' BMX bike for $500 these days, but prices for high end setups are over a grand, and have been for years.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
How often and what's the procedure?
From what I gathered from my local tech, before and after winter is best if you do a lot of salt road driving, once a year in the fall is usually what is prescribed. You can google the procedure, pretty simple, remove two bolts to free caliper from disc, remove pads, pull rubber boots and grease sliders with proper grease. It's a pretty simple task.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
oh don't get me wrong, you can get a bangin' BMX bike for $500 these days, but prices for high end setups are over a grand, and have been for years.
Guess it was just extreme sticker shock as I had never seen an MSRP that high before. It was a "First Ride" article about the new Battleship and the listed price threw me.

I know there are folks in a better position to drop that kind of coin, but even if I had it to spend, I doubt I could justify it. :rofl:

Here's the cheap Chinese 18", seems like something that would last 2 years until he fit a 20".

Screenshot_20200106-090237.png

And the $370 US equivalent.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hi folk
did you know that extremely spendy sram 12s etap AXS road gear is not compatible with literally anything ever? Yeah so I need a different, more spendiferous chainring in additional to the extremely expensive drivetrain I just bought >:(

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
From what I gathered from my local tech, before and after winter is best if you do a lot of salt road driving, once a year in the fall is usually what is prescribed. You can google the procedure, pretty simple, remove two bolts to free caliper from disc, remove pads, pull rubber boots and grease sliders with proper grease. It's a pretty simple task.
Nickle AntiSeize for hub/rotor interface and lug bolts, but THIS is what you want for the slide pins/rods.
Permatex Purple!
permatex purple.jpg

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm trying, jeez, don't be so hard on me. Job hunting is tough, you know?

Just doing the dance. Sending out resumes, trying to network, all of that good stuff. The process never moves as fast as you want it to.
I realized my resume didn't have this gig on it so it seems like I have been out since August. I rectified that this morning as well as changed one job title. My actual job title was "Validation Engineer" but that has a very different meaning to everyone outside. So now it reads Lead QA Engineer, which I was.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
yee fucking haw.
still sore from saturdays ski at Loveland. unexpected pow day. about 8 or so of settled 2 day old un skied, crusty on top, made for some surfy-laid back turns off chair 8. warm temps too. I have a nice 7 days in so far with some decent shnow. Im happy.
workin' on some 11th hour, trade show content bullshit. yay coffee.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I realized my resume didn't have this gig on it so it seems like I have been out since August. I rectified that this morning as well as changed one job title. My actual job title was "Validation Engineer" but that has a very different meaning to everyone outside. So now it reads Lead QA Engineer, which I was.
Well I have not had a gig since June of 2018, owing to the year plus road trip, so I've attempted to rectify that through writing personalized cover letters explaining my absence from the work place. Mixed reactions so far on that one. I guess taking a year off to travel doesn't exactly label me as being a career oriented go-getter.

Oddly enough, it seems as if I have accrued enough skills to qualify myself for a lot of positions, but not enough to make myself desirable to fill such positions. Proficient in a lot, master of none.