Quantcast

***Mondaze GMT***

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
For me, the convenience of having topo maps, marked trails and my track right on my wrist is invaluable. Fuck riding with a phone in my pocket and taking it out every time I want to see where I am.

Add the fact it acts as a pretty good smartwatch and mp3 player helps justify the cost.
plus phones aren't as durable as a watch, and don't do heart rate.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I have mixed feeling about today. We are done with our 30 days with no alcohol so I was able to drink a nice strong IPA, on the other hand I had promised my girlfriend that I would do 30 days of yoga with her. Have a girlfriend they said...
you sure "do yoga with me for 30 days" isn't code for something else?! :brows:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have mixed feeling about today. We are done with our 30 days with no alcohol so I was able to drink a nice strong IPA, on the other hand I had promised my girlfriend that I would do 30 days of yoga with her. Have a girlfriend they said...
I did that once. Thankfully a yoga instructor didn't like my form, corrected my position and tore my rotator cuff, which got me out of the rest of it. I don't think many gurus have dislocated their shoulder a half dozen times.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
For me, the convenience of having topo maps, marked trails and my track right on my wrist is invaluable. Fuck riding with a phone in my pocket and taking it out every time I want to see where I am.

Add the fact it acts as a pretty good smartwatch and mp3 player helps justify the cost.
what watch are you using?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
lol. why would you ever take your phone out of your pocket/pack unless you were lost deep in the woods...i never notice mine and prefer that to something clunky strapped to my wrist. haven't worn a watch since the 1990s-ish. and wgaf about heart rates??? i heard there's a whole thread for that type of nonsense. :D

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
lol. why would you ever take your phone out of your pocket/pack unless you were lost deep in the woods...i never notice mine and prefer that to something clunky strapped to my wrist. haven't worn a watch since the 1990s-ish. and wgaf about heart rates??? i heard there's a whole thread for that type of nonsense. :D
Got a Garmin Instinct after not wearing a watch for about the same time as you. After a few days, not even wearing full time, I was looking at my wrist to check the time. I was le disapointed.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Is there a way to use a Garmin without relying on Garmin Connect? So an offline software to analyze the data, plan routes and such.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Is there a way to use a Garmin without relying on Garmin Connect? So an offline software to analyze the data, plan routes and such.
If you really wanted to, yes, my prior model was an 800 and I did all my stuff offline. I got an 830 last year and whilst I could just carry on doing it all on my computer, the ease of creating courses on connect and uploading wirelessly has me doing a hybrid. I still keep all my data local in an ancient piece of Garmin software called Training Center. For course creation, sometimes I do it on my computer using different tools, sometimes I use connect.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Nice rant, bitch wrists

:p

FWIW, I've always worn watches anyway. In fact, the watch I wore daily for 10+ years before the Garmin (Citizen Skyhawk AT) is close in size and heavier, being all stainless.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
the fact that anything shows up from australia is shocking....but....

20210301_211234.jpg

20210301_211011.jpg

twas bent just a bit....

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I've got an old Garmin GPS and I upload to MapMyRide. Works fine...
Still has a "community"/online aspect to it. I currently have a pretty limited Sigma GPS computer (no navigation) that uses a standalone software. Uses the internet just for getting map files but does not store the route data in the cloud.
Somehow it would be nice to have a real GPS for navigating but I do not want to share secret trails with the whole world. Yes, I know "privacy settings" but if one day they decide to make everything public what are you gonna do?