Quantcast

***Mondaze GMT***

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I've noticed that recently. There's little down time for kids to just be kids. Lots of camps and sports and expectations of travel and competition.
My wife pushes for a million activities, but I end up being the one who has to drive to all of them.

Her funnest week this summer will probably be last week when she was with my mom.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Signing day for our last will and stuff. Was reviewing the paperwork and my son's middle name is wrong. Not just wrong, but it's mine in one place and my wife's in another. :rofl:

The corrections have been made and hopefully there will be no further issues. Good times.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My wife pushes for a million activities, but I end up being the one who has to drive to all of them.

Her funnest week this summer will probably be last week when she was with my mom.
the trick is balance. my kids didn't fare well with team sports. they LOVE to climb, which works out since I climb too. we go to the gym at least once a week. they are in climbing summer camp this week. my son has started doing instruction 1 night a week, so my daughter and I have some time to climb just the two of us (which she really enjoys).

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
We are just chilling at the lake today and tomorrow.

I also have a rule that we can have ice cream at all times. There is no such thing as ruining your appitite.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
We are just chilling at the lake today and tomorrow.

I also have a rule that we can have ice cream at all times. There is no such thing as ruining your appitite.
there is a penny candy store/ice cream shop up the street from my pop's house in maine...same rule when we visit!
Speaking of kids doing things... Haley just told me that she wants to race SuperNats. :eek: o_O
FULL SEND!

at the tin can launcher having a beer and waiting to return to charlotte...made a big to do list and ticking off stuff while i wait...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I've noticed that recently. There's little down time for kids to just be kids. Lots of camps and sports and expectations of travel and competition.
my boys do nordic ski racing. my oldest is now a U16 and it's a year-long program. 3 practices a week, and 2 workouts. youngest will be 3x/week starting in september. I'm happy to let them be bored but they fight like cats and dogs if at home and unoccupied. They don't get screens during the week, and only 2 hours on weekends.

My oldest will read, but my youngest goes out to play with the other neighbourhood kids. 1/2 the time, I'll find him at a kids' place playing on their console, as other parents don't seem to have the same approach to screens.... still, I'm mostly ok with it, as he's still socializing and learning people skills. and he needs lots of practice with those.
100%. Our neighbor has 3, high energy kids and has them in activities as much as possible so she doesn't have to spend time with them.
Both my boys are extremely high energy. sometimes I think putting them in a high-exertion sport (nordic ski racing) has only built up their energy levels... it can certainly be a double edged sword.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
FULL SEND!
Speaking of kids doing things... Haley just told me that she wants to race SuperNats. :eek: o_O
Talked to Greg. He said we take her to Rotax instead. He doesn't think she's ready for SuperNats yet. "Those are 88 of the fastest, rabid assholes, trying to be the best driver in the county, all trying to kill each other. She's not ready for that yet." Greg likes Haley and is a huge supporter of her. That says a LOT.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
100%. Our neighbor has 3, high energy kids and has them in activities as much as possible so she doesn't have to spend time with them.
I mean - that's just a variation on a theme... for us Gen-X kids, our parents didn't put us in activities, they just kicked us out the front door for the day because they didn't want to spend time with us.

Because kids are fuckin' annoying.

:homer:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I mean - that's just a variation on a theme... for us Gen-X kids, our parents didn't put us in activities, they just kicked us out the front door for the day because they didn't want to spend time with us.

Because kids are fuckin' annoying.

:homer:
This. I was left with survival of the fittest and whooped if I didn't do as told or get my shit done. I refused to do that going in and actually like hanging out with my kids. Haley's just easier because she's older. Hannah is getting there quickly to the point that she has a social life in her activities, which is what sports do - they drive a social life for kids too.