Quantcast

***Monderp GMT***

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Back to the short bus after a spending the weekend hiking around in Sequoia National Park. Got on the scale this morning and i'm down to 199 from 275. Probably why I had such a blast hiking 20 miles at altitude in two days and not feeling wiped out.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Armageddon at work in full swing with an unexpected departure of the big boss (that I was notified about late last night). Lesser bots are promoted. Psychopaths in the team are psyched. Ass lickers are ready to lick new ass.

Eff it. Autopilot mode on, I'll go ride a bike and have a beer in the afternoon, then it is resume update time.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Morning Monkies! 1/2 day of work today interrupts what would have been a 9 day stretch of vacation like activity. Up at 5 to go for a 3 mile trail run by the river. I couldn't find my running headlamp so I ran, or what I call running, with my riding helmet. 37 degrees with 16 MPH winds, felt much colder than it was. Heeling vibes to @boostindoubles good karma for eradication Russian communist conspiracy weed.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Man am I glad that I was born into an age where bicycles, more specifically mountain bicycles, exist. Got in two rides over the weekend though I had the displeasure of tearing the sidewall on my several month old e13 tire right near the bead. Now I'm back to running tubes like a peasant.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Mornin!

Man am I glad that I was born into an age where bicycles, more specifically mountain bicycles, exist. Got in two rides over the weekend though I had the displeasure of tearing the sidewall on my several month old e13 tire right near the bead. Now I'm back to running tubes like a peasant.
hmmmm. what kind of casing do they employ on those tires? but... those are the consequences of shreddin' like a madman...

We got some needed rain last night. It's foggy, wet, and chilly out.

I'm wrestling with the installation of a replacement faucet for the kitchen sink. Removal of the old faucet was a PITA that got into the use of a hacksaw. Need to get some new supply lines.

Replacement dropper shows up tomorrow in theory.

The only riding I got in this weekend was attaching the Bob trailer to the Moonlander and doing some roadside trash pickup. People are fucking slobs.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
hmmmm. what kind of casing do they employ on those tires? but... those are the consequences of shreddin' like a madman...
Doesn't say, but it's an 870g "endurbro" tire so I figured it would be rather stout. Here's to hoping it holds up, it's by far the best cornering tire I've ever used for my enduro-lite self.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
That will be a very unhappy insurance company when they get the bill for the lost beer, etc.

Workouts for the Long Beach half-ironman started this morning. Up at 4:30am for a swim workout and I have a bike tonight.

We took Haley on a 2.7 mile hike at Deer Creek yesterday. Completely runied her; she slept for almost 3 hours. The trails are pretty tore up though. We came out about halfway down the gut and it was pretty nasty. Either I'm riding too fast to notice the roughness of the terrain or it's lost at least another inch of dirt since the spring. I can't even imagine what the upper sections look like.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
Rode in Maine's new National Monument yesterday on my CX bike. I had to change my original plans of a mega loop because the guys that were joining me bailed at the last minute. I guess some people are uncomfortable with possibility of getting lost in the back country. I did a shorter loop solo and enjoy the shit out of the woods.
IMG_2931.JPG

For @jonKranked

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Rode in Maine's new National Monument yesterday on my CX bike. I had to change my original plans of a mega loop because the guys that were joining me bailed at the last minute. I guess some people are uncomfortable with possibility of getting lost in the back country. I did a shorter loop solo and enjoy the shit out of the woods.
View attachment 123615
For @jonKranked
Speaking of which, you ever read this?

https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Mountain-Maine-Donn-Fendler/dp/068811573X

Guy just died recently and they had him featured on NPR. They stated it was pretty much required reading amongst Maine school children.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Work.

It is grey and spitting rain/mist outside. Will attempt a ride tonight. It'll be dark, wet and slippery. Should be fun?

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Rode my MTB 2 days in a row, holy crow! 1st time ever dirt jumping at end of ride into the wind, that kinda sucked.

(holy crow):

Day 2 was family ride & "discovered" a bike trail system like 5 minutes from my house with playground at base - North Bethlehem Town Park...Yes! Been there for a while & finally got to check it out. BONUS: ran into Chocolate Milk Doug there! New place to ride that is convenient for whole family is gold to us. Trail is fun with optional wooden kicker features & log rolls, 9 year old loved it, which is amazing for a kid who hates riding his bike uphill.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkey.

Anniversary weekend was supposed to be the storm of the century of the week. Headed to the coast, got some good winds and a little rain, but nothing crazy. There was a tornado that was about 10 miles up the road with a little damage, but nothing like the news was trying to make it out to be. I swear they were trying to make it sound like this could be it at any moment. I was sitting on the patio watching the surf. It was quite nice, but there is little to do in these tiny coastal towns in Oregon. :rofl:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
A buddy of mine just bought himself a new bike. he's parting out his old bike. the only thing I'm interested in, maybe, are his Derby rims (26"). But he's selling them as a whole wheelset. Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs, Sapim butted spokes. $800 cdn. I'm sure everything is great condition, he's meticulous about caring for his stuff. But that's a lot of dough for something I'm really only curious about. I'm not sure I want such wide rims, or carbon rims for that matter. And I already have King hubs, so the Hope hubs, as good as they are, are redundant to me.

I'm not sure this is such a great deal. I think I could probably order Light Bike rims, shipped to Canada with duty and taxes for about $550 Cdn. Then I'd have to buy spokes and pay for a wheel build. All in all, to get new Chinese rims on my hubs would be about the same as my buddies whole wheelset.

If it turns out these aren't that great, I'm not sure I would be able to sell the wheelset without losing my shirt...

decisions, decisions....

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Check they're the EVO hubs with 40 POE, the first revision of the EVO's were only 24 (I think) like the original Pro 2's.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Happy Monday! Not sure how much more high country riding I'll get to do this year after the storm our mountains are getting. Here is the snowstake from this morning.
snowstake.jpg

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Took the stigmata out for a shake-down cruise with my 11yo yesterday.
Mix of rail trails and some buff singletrack.
Bike is fast and comfortable but will take a few rides to dial things in.
First step is some new, larger tubeless tires so I can smack shit with abandon.
Bars feel narrow (44) but after my 800 bars on the nomad thats to be expected.

Other notes:
Mtn bikers didn't like being passed on singletrack by a guy on a 'road bike'.
Roadies did not like the NYC Freeride Glory Hole pedals currently on bike.

Otherwise, just trying to get momentum now that I'm back to the daily routine.
Fucks given: minimal.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
unseasonably warm weekend spent inside with this cold that won't go away.
at least I got caught up on laundry and bike maintenance. :rolleyes:
You didn't make it out yesterday afternoon? Want to go on a ride this afternoon, like 1 or so? I'm pumpkin patching now but that can't last forever.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
@StiHacka , weren't you the one with Derby rims on a Mojo HD...? thoughts? Would you do it again? I always thought an internal width of under 30mm would be ideal for me, but this just got real. I was second in line, but person #1 has backed out, and I'm being offered them now...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
@StiHacka , weren't you the one with Derby rims on a Mojo HD...? thoughts? Would you do it again? I always thought an internal width of under 30mm would be ideal for me, but this just got real. I was second in line, but person #1 has backed out, and I'm being offered them now...
I like the wide-ish rims but I am not a big fan of the Hope Pro 2 because of noise and low PoE. You pay premium for Derby over LB/Nextie etc for the customer service but as the 2nd owner, I don't think you'll be getting much of that either. I would only do it if it was a "can't refuse deal", otherwise I'd get cheaper chinese rims (assymmetric) and build them myself. Oh wait, that's what I've just done when one of my Derby cracked (3 years old, no crash replacement after 2 years). :D

I keep hearing great things about this brewery. Does it live up to the craft beer hype?
Yeppers. My favorite beer. Unfiltered, always fresh (cause they sell out in two days), very fruity, very hoppy.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Windstorm at Anderson Farms. Painful flying dust and the kids look like they came from Tatooine.