Quantcast

***Monderp GMT***

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Good morning Monkies! Today it has been a full year since my CABG procedure and I can report great success and back it up with actual facts. Ride Monkies have been pretty good to me over the years and this last one has been no exception. Kind words are never misspoken. I am especially appreciative of the fine Monkies who encouraged me to ride the ma da hey with them even though I probably had no business doing so...

I love to be preachy so if you haven't had your annual check up yet - make a fucking appointment before your next slice of bacon. Mm mm mm bacon.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Howdy all. I like to ski. That shit's expensive, though, especially next weekend.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Had a fun ride with the pup and the little one. We are having insanely nice winter weather. This was definitely the most fun I've had at our trails without my bike with me. Rowan helped cut in a little bit of new trail, eyed up the jumps, and got to see a bunch of Pisgah bros who were in town ride our stuff. She wanted do everything they did--awesome yet scary. Proud papa!

She actually rode about a mile--I could see the light bulb go off and trail riding became a thing for her. Yes I forgot her helmet, no I was not going to tell her she couldn't ride.
IMG_4230.jpg

She says she likes going down hills and wants to do some jumps.
IMG_4220.jpg

The pup had a blast and was following Rowan as if it were a normal ride.
IMG_4218.jpg

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
Fell asleep on the couch after the first half of the superbowl. New England was getting smoked in the first half, so I hit the shed a little to hard while Gaga did her thing. My wife told me after I woke up at 12 that I should check FB because she thinks New England won. She changed the channel as soon as I dozed off.

Now work....meh...

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Had a fun ride with the pup and the little one. We are having insanely nice winter weather. This was definitely the most fun I've had at our trails without my bike with me. Rowan helped cut in a little bit of new trail, eyed up the jumps, and got to see a bunch of Pisgah bros who were in town ride our stuff. She wanted do everything they did--awesome yet scary. Proud papa!

She actually rode about a mile--I could see the light bulb go off and trail riding became a thing for her. Yes I forgot her helmet, no I was not going to tell her she couldn't ride.
View attachment 124572

She says she likes going down hills and wants to do some jumps.
View attachment 124571

The pup had a blast and was following Rowan as if it were a normal ride.
View attachment 124570
nice! i used to do the same thing with our older guy - he got to where he'd hit the trails for 2-3 miles on his strider. He, too, liked checking out the jumps:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin Peeps!

After 2 years of poor decisions and lackluster returns methinks I'm going to pull my money from my current IRA manager. Do I simply ask to withdraw the money or express my displeasure with their guidance and direction while doing so?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Working on a new keyboard today, so that's taking some getting used to. My old MSFT ergo started working inconsistently and work was not giving me a quote for getting a new ergo, so I just ordered a new Logitech ergo from Amazon. It's similar, but different, so it's taking some time to get used to.

Had some friends over yesterday while the game played in the background. Mostly just talked about schools for the kids next year. We moved to the neighborhood we did because of the elementary school, which has fallen off as of late and is part of why we are looking to move to a better neighborhood within town. Amazing how much lamer you get as you get older...

Finished the basement bathroom remodel (pics up once my phone is working) on Sunday, which was a pita. At least it's done enough for pictures so we can list.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Nerdy ski trip report from Sunday @ Cannon mountain, the highest elevation ski resort in NH (4k ft)
ski_cannon_0205.png

1) Arrived at 8:40-ish, first lift trip at 9AM. Base temp hovering in lower teens with steady wind
2) First two shake down runs on new skis and boots. Stayed at the bottom half of the mountain with gapers
3) Boots adjustment and 1st feet warm up
4) Trip to the top of the mountain where the temps were ~12F and 20-30MPH winds with bigger gusts
5) First stop at the bar at the top, G&T #1
6) Super firm snow with big sheets of blue ice, fast & furious runs, getting used to new skis, no lift lines, colddddd
7) De-frosting of cold feet, G&T #2, ate a pulled pork sandwich
8) Moar great skiing, getting friends with new skis and boots, still very cold
9) Last run initiated at 1PM, this time all the way to the base lodge. New boots are the tittays, skis need a lot of energy and attention being designed for FIS racers but I think I got them figured out now

Pics below, don't open if you can't deal with pictures of snow covered east coast roxx

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

We were supposed to have another epic snow storm this weekend. Was at a friends house down south when the neighbor sends me a pic of our front lawn at kick off. 5" of snow, oh yay, we get to drive home in this. So we head out at 4 and it is pouring rain. We come home to a slushy mess, nothing but rain all last night because the temp never dropped like they thought it would.

I need to ride lots this weekend, I hope the wife doesn't have plans (she's still gimped on the couch anyway :rofl: ). Lets get this day over with already.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I have off tomorrow...
Mountain Weather Forecast for Today
Expect overcast skies this morning along with moderate to heavy snowfall. Later in the day, snowfall intensity will decrease and a few breaks in cloud cover will be possible.
Temperature Forecast for 8,000´-9,000´: Rising into the mid 20s.
Ridge Top Wind Forecast for 10,000´: Increasing to 30 to 40 miles per hour out of the southwest.
Snowfall Expected Next 24 Hours: 10 to 15

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
That doesnt help at all, thanks :)
All I can suggest is get the hell out of Prague - get on a train and see other places, too. I have not lived there for almost 15 years now, and my stay before was short anyway as I am from a different part of the country so I am of not much help. To me, the capital is just one yuuuuge tourist trap.

Go see the architecture, perhaps a few baroque churches, make a trip to the Castle and pay for a guided tour, have beer in pubs in side streets you won't find in guides. As for food, I can recommend (in no particular order) roast duck with red cabbage, roast smoked pork knee, beef with cream sauce and dumplings, pub goulash, roast pork liver, or schnitzel with potatoes. Stay away from meals with fries. The sausage stands at main squares are OK if a bit overpriced IIRC. Watch out for pickpocketing thieves in crowded areas.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Played a ton of bass yesterday. Fingers are getting remarkably limber for being paralyzed. Spent a bunch of time on the fretless which I strung up with stainless rounds. I liked it enough that I've got a new set of nickel rounds arriving today, to see what that's about. If only I could write something worth listening to.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
drove the five hours home from LA yesterday afternoon. Had a blast visiting my dad. Leds are sore from a hard run so tonight will be an hour on the spin bike. Rain forecast through Friday night, supposed to be heavy tonight and tomorrow with winds of up to 45 mph...definitely a gym week

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
So... apparently I'm an ass. Talking with a guy at work (a director none the less) about house cost in our town (the entire town ranges from mid-$300's to $2mm+. Average gross household income in my end of town is $110k (two decent paying middle-class jobs), the other side notably higher. We were talking about moving into which neighborhood etc. and why we're looking at moving - fancy house, but primarily school for Haley. The neighborhood we're looking at going into is closer to $200k (two well paying upper middle-class jobs) and the schools are not unexpectedly much higher rated. Obviously a higher end of the income stream neighborhood, but far from the highest end of our city (there are neighborhoods >$300k avg).

When I mentioned the income differences and how our realtor mentioned that he's seeing more lower income (comparatively) coming in as these are 'entry level' homes in our city. The lower incomes have changed the dynamic of education importance on household levels, bringing lower school scores, ratings, etc. As he phrased it, "the more expensive the houses, the higher the income, the better the schools". This is not a shocker. He did notice that a lot of those buyers are people who went bankrupt in 2008 and are now clear of the 7 year bankruptcy constraints for getting loans.

So I mention this comment to Director guy and he's just shocked that I would define $110k household as a lower income, even comparatively. I'm not sure what they make in product, but I figured it would allow for a decent household income at least $150+ if both spouses are working. But yeah... Total ass move apparently.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Another Pleasant Valley Sunday, there in status symbol land? I imagine those numbers are of those that bought their vehicles new.
Yeah, this for new purchases. I chose my Land Cruiser over its Lexus counterpart in part so I'd seem more working class... :D

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Tired from yesterday's ride. After my friend left, there was still at least 45 min of daylight left so I grabbed the saw and went to cut a log.

A tree had fallen across a switchback in the past two weeks (since I was last there) and someone had piled up branches and dirt to make a ramp. I've seen this happen before in places that don't have regular maintenance crews but never in a switchback.

The log was about 9" dia. and didn't take long at all with my Silky BigBoy. The log pile on the other hand was something else. Whoever did it, had to have used a shovel for the amount of dirt packed into it. That means they had to haul a tool in there and put out a decent amount effort to build the shitty ramp when they could have just cut it out to begin with.

I wish riders wouldn't do this because it creates a lot more work for us Gnomes. Just leave the logs, we'll get to them. If you truly want to help, then just kick a few sticks off the trail while you ride. Take 5 sec. to move a dead branch so the trail doesn't get widened by riders going around. Or buy a good folding saw and learn to use it.

Last edited: