Quantcast

Mondraker Summum and Cesar Rojo Interview

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
60* Head Angle?!:eek:

awesome bike. I wonder who distributes (will distribute) it in Canada eh? I'm in the market for a new bike this year and this one looks like a good candidate...

good job on the marketing there Sr. Rojo!!!

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
My prediction for 2011 is 900 bars and 45 deg head angles!

Nice looking bike, I bet it feels very dosile though with the bar H/A. Not that that's a bad thing, might compensate for my lack of skill.

Squam_DH

Chimp
Feb 24, 2009
I wish I could trade my Session in and get this bike...:mad:

Looks SICKKKK!!!
You can take your aluminium can Session to the recycle depot and trade it in for a nickel!

I'm so goddamn funny that I just don't know what to do with myself sometimes.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
60* Head Angle?!:eek:

awesome bike. I wonder who distributes (will distribute) it in Canada eh? I'm in the market for a new bike this year and this one looks like a good candidate...

good job on the marketing there Sr. Rojo!!!
besides stability at speed a much-looked-over advantage of slacker head angles is the ability to maintain steering ability on steeper trails. the woods in schladming are an elevator shaft, I can totally see how he could get away with 60* there.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Deemax Ultimates only come in 150 mm, XTR cranks only in 73 mm BB width. So does the bike really have a 73 mm BB/150 mm DO combo? :eek:
That would be a hell of a crappy chainline!

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
besides stability at speed a much-looked-over advantage of slacker head angles is the ability to maintain steering ability on steeper trails. the woods in schladming are an elevator shaft, I can totally see how he could get away with 60* there.
wUrd. People mock slack bikes untill the ride something that's actually steep. Some people can't imagine a sustained grade beyond 20% i guess. Granted, a 60* HA bike would feel pretty ridiculously retarded in the parking lot.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Deemax Ultimates only come in 150 mm, XTR cranks only in 73 mm BB width. So does the bike really have a 73 mm BB/150 mm DO combo? :eek:
So you're saying the chain being 5mm towards the BB makes a difference :rolleyes:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
So you're saying the chain being 5mm towards the BB makes a difference :rolleyes:
Yes. Makes a big difference in your top gear trying to crank, and having it skip as a result of the chain being angled too far. Same reason you don't cross-gear on an XC bike.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Yes. Makes a big difference in your top gear trying to crank, and having it skip as a result of the chain being angled too far. Same reason you don't cross-gear on an XC bike.
Look at the chain's angle change with a 5mm reduction, it's nothing.
Anyway it seems to stay on for Fabien.

The XC bike analogy isn't valid as usually we're talking three chainrings.
No matter what the BB length (chainline) you can run any gear you like
in the middle ring on an XC bike. And the pro's do !

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
Look at the chain's angle change with a 5mm reduction, it's nothing.
Anyway it seems to stay on for Fabien.

The XC bike analogy isn't valid as usually we're talking three chainrings.
No matter what the BB length (chainline) you can run any gear you like
in the middle ring on an XC bike. And the pro's do !
Agree, funny how people stress about 5mm in Width but never factor in Chainstay length, or Chainguide / ring differences. It all contributes to the chainline and a DH bike is generally a longer chain (less angle) anyway.

cesar_rojo

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
You can see how the chain looks on the middle sprocket, seems pretty straight to me, let me know what you think. Anyway, don't think 5mm is big issue.

wUrd. People mock slack bikes untill the ride something that's actually steep. Some people can't imagine a sustained grade beyond 20% i guess. Granted, a 60* HA bike would feel pretty ridiculously retarded in the parking lot.
Yeah, 60º fails on parking lot test, I did that prior to first run in Schladming and thought there was no way to get top to bottom that way. The bike looked crazy slack, like something was broken, haha! But then on the track it felt so amazing, I was able to keep my weight on front on steep parts, so having grip and moving on top of bike was not a problem.

I rode after Schladming a national race on pretty flat track and went back to 63º after doing some runs on 60 and have to say I felt really good on 60º, so I reckon I will be trying to be all time on something like 62-61 all year long so I don't change bike from race to race.

Ps. Theres extra pic of the bike but couldn't resist to take some more snaps, hehe!

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
Cesar the pioneer! I guess you know what you talk about and it makes sense to me. Maybe it won't work for inexperienced and slow riders, but for someone who is looking to get an edge over competition this frame could be top choice.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Agree, funny how people stress about 5mm in Width but never factor in Chainstay length, or Chainguide / ring differences. It all contributes to the chainline and a DH bike is generally a longer chain (less angle) anyway.
Exactly. The chains angle on a Demo with 16.7 Chainstays is probably more extreme than the Summums.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
You can see how the chain looks on the middle sprocket, seems pretty straight to me, let me know what you think. Anyway, don't think 5mm is big issue.

Yeah, 60º fails on parking lot test, I did that prior to first run in Schladming and thought there was no way to get top to bottom that way. The bike looked crazy slack, like something was broken, haha! But then on the track it felt so amazing, I was able to keep my weight on front on steep parts, so having grip and moving on top of bike was not a problem.

I rode after Schladming a national race on pretty flat track and went back to 63º after doing some runs on 60 and have to say I felt really good on 60º, so I reckon I will be trying to be all time on something like 62-61 all year long so I don't change bike from race to race.

Ps. Theres extra pic of the bike but couldn't resist to take some more snaps, hehe!
what's the BB height on that bike anyways? looks low.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Doesn't look too bad. Do you use an off center dished wheel? Does the chain rub the next bigger gear when on the 11 T? Why not stay 135 mm rear wheel in the first place? Or X-12?

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Any plans on bringing those stateside? So far it looks perfect!

I'd definitely also be all over one!

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco

Ya 64 seems to be the sweet spot for an avg. track at avg. speed. Anything steeper or faster than avg like a few things around here or nearly all of the alps it looks like, 63 or slacker is probably a lot better. Glad to see at least one manufacturer isn't just catering to the noobs who buy bikes based on parking lot tests. :). If I was into paying retail for bikes (or if you made a ginormous XL) I'd definitely consider buying that mondraker.

cesar_rojo

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
Doesn't look too bad. Do you use an off center dished wheel? Does the chain rub the next bigger gear when on the 11 T? Why not stay 135 mm rear wheel in the first place? Or X-12?
150mm is more standard this days so people buying frame only can have more chance to use their rims from previous bike in case they want. Also wider swingarm is more stiff. Wheels depends, as some use same width where the spokes are and just offset more the disc bolts in the two width measures.

Carnaza

Monkey
Aug 10, 2006
Santiago, Chile

Yo quiero uno ¡¡¡¡

Cuando mandaran a Chile ???

Sweet looking bike¡¡¡¡¡