Quantcast

Mongoose Boot'r Freedom link

Rconroy

Chimp
Oct 26, 2009
So im in the process of building my own mongoose freedom link, in order to slacken, lengthen, and lower my 09 boot'r. Does anyone happen to know what dimensions i should use for the length of the new link?
Thanks

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
So you have a large frame then? If not I'm pretty sure you just buy the lower link for the large frame and that's it.

Hope you make it from a good strong hardwood.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Can anyone elaborate about this mod? Is it a part you have to make, or can you buy it from mongoose? I've always been kinda interested in the mongoose bikes.
Thanks

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Thanks, but what I'm interested in is how you make one, or if mongoose makes them as an aftermarket upgrade, that's all.

bassboost

Chimp
Feb 7, 2012
Hi all
I'm riding 2009 Large boot'r and I'v made to myself a new freedom link by using CNC. I'v extended the original one by 0.5cm and the change is noticeable, I don't know if this is the perfect size now, but I thought that 0.5cm is a reasonable change....

4130biker

May 24, 2007
What, is this a secret or something? I have no intentions to buy one since I don't actually have the bike, and thought someone here could pipe up a quick answer. No reason for me to bug the big guy at Mongoose for something that I'm curious about. Bike mods are interesting to me, is the main reason I asked.

Daz

Chimp
Mar 5, 2008
one of the guys on the old East Coast Mongoose Tribe team used to make them up at the machine shop he worked at. Here are the numbers it generated.
I used to have on on an older Boot'R. In 2010/11 and after they actually changed the head angle and BB height to get to the numbers that the 09 Boot'R had with the modification because more people liked the slack and low edition.

47mm Freedom
Link for Boot'r/Pinn'r
HT Angle: -0.5 Deg.
ST Angle: -0.5 Deg.
BB Height: -7mm
WB: +4.5mm

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
What, is this a secret or something? I have no intentions to buy one since I don't actually have the bike, and thought someone here could pipe up a quick answer. No reason for me to bug the big guy at Mongoose for something that I'm curious about. Bike mods are interesting to me, is the main reason I asked.
Ahh that makes more sense, All it really does is drop the BB height a bit and make the rear end a tiny bit longer, so more stable with a lower COG I would guess are the benefits.

Bummer about no more US distribution though...
Really? They seem to sell quite well in Australia but where I ride the numbers do seem to have dropped in the last 2-3yrs.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Really? They seem to sell quite well in Australia but where I ride the numbers do seem to have dropped in the last 2-3yrs.
Yeah, unfortunately. Seemed like they were doing a good job recovering what used to be sweet brand, i was rooting for them here in the US and definately interested in the bikes.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
one of the guys on the old East Coast Mongoose Tribe team used to make them up at the machine shop he worked at. Here are the numbers it generated.
I used to have on on an older Boot'R. In 2010/11 and after they actually changed the head angle and BB height to get to the numbers that the 09 Boot'R had with the modification because more people liked the slack and low edition.

47mm Freedom
Link for Boot'r/Pinn'r
HT Angle: -0.5 Deg.
ST Angle: -0.5 Deg.
BB Height: -7mm
WB: +4.5mm
That's cool! Didn't know they updated the geometry in '10/11. Still might try to get my hands on one, one of these days. I'm sure there will be a few floating around here for a while!

Guy.Ford

Chimp
Aug 20, 2012
SoCal, USA
Sorry to resurrect thread, but for anyone interested in getting a Freedom Link you can email Jirka Sedlacek @ BIKEHAZARD@bikehazard.cz . Takes @ 4-6 weeks to produce, comes raw aluminum, can also be ordered following ano colors: black, red, gold or blue (colors may take longer). Price was quoted to me 36EUR without
postage.

I recently purchased a new 09 Pinn'r Apprentice frame (no shock) from from nashbar.com for $185 shipped, have been searching hard to find a source for the Freedom Link and aside from having is made myself this is the only source.

Plans are to run the Freedom link and short shock with 8.5x2.5 shock (should fit), with a 170mm Lyrik. Stoked.