Quantcast

Mongose Boot'r Test Ride

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Nice review Fraser! Good to hear a positive review from someone whose opinion is well respected in both the cycling industry and on the internet forums. I've been talking up the freedrive system to all my riding buddies after I picked up an '08 teocali as my personal trail bike. Most of my riding buddies poke fun of the complex looking suspension system, make snide comments regarding the "wal mart" heritage, etc., but their comments quickly turn to the positive side when the take a spin on the bike on a real trail.

I can't wait to get on a Boot'r this season. I was't entirely planning on a new dh rig for 2009, but after riding my teocali this summer I can't help but want the dh version.

I've said it since I got my teocali, but I'll gladly say it again....."watch out, cause the planets are aligning once again and the 'goose is about to become the next big thing".

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
make snide comments regarding the "wal mart" heritage, etc., but their comments quickly turn to the positive side when the take a spin on the bike on a real trail.
Same thing's been happening to me. I like to pull out all the other bike companies owned by pacific cycles and rub it in their faces. It's great when some prick who things his bike is made by the best company ever but it turns out they're owned by the same company that owns the bike that they're bashing.
Did that make any sense, I've been preparing for a AP debate for 2 hours and my brain hurts.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Same thing's been happening to me. I like to pull out all the other bike companies owned by pacific cycles and rub it in their faces. It's great when some prick who things his bike is made by the best company ever but it turns out they're owned by the same company that owns the bike that they're bashing.
Did that make any sense, I've been preparing for a AP debate for 2 hours and my brain hurts.
Dorel/Pacific Cycles may have had some growing pains early on and they're still trying to shake that big box store only image, but I think they are really taking a huge step in the right direction beginning with last year for both GT and Mongoose. Now that they've added Cannondale and are handling that as a seperate entity, well, one can only hope that they revive C-dale to their previous crazy concept days once again. I wholeheartedly applaud Dorel/Pacific for what they have been able to achieve in a short period of time and am glad that some investors are willing to step up and take the risk of trying to revive some legendary brands in the cycling world.

I get a kick out of the comments I hear at the trailhead parking lots and from my riding buddies all the time. The look of astonishment when they compare the quality build of both the frame and components on my teocali is worth any amount of negative comments I hear from time to time. I wouldn't call the comments folks make entirely negative, more like very skeptical would be appropriate, but their opinions quickly change when I let them take a test ride on the bike.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
You'd think the Boot'r would be the huck bike and the Pinn'r would be the dh race... Maybe I'm not understanding things.
That's the way it was supposed to be. I'm not sure what happened. We're all a little confused, as of July EC was calling the DH bike the Pinn'r and now it's officially the boot'r. Oh well, it still rides sick.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
You'd think the Boot'r would be the huck bike and the Pinn'r would be the dh race... Maybe I'm not understanding things.
If there's one paradox in the cycling industry that truly derves the brickwall/forehead combo, it's that! Makes no fugging sense! They ALMOST got it right...then WHAM! they put the stickers on the wrong bikes...

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Oh, and I embrace the Walmart comments, I think it's hilarious! I've pondered slapping reflectors on mine for the next race...but half the ignorant world still wouldn't realize that it WASN'T from a department store and they wouldn't get the joke...