Quantcast

Monique Mata captures 2012 Women’s Pro XCT Championship.

Oct 20, 2009
<p>In what can only be described as a Cinderella year, Monique “Pua” Mata collected the overall 2012 Pro XCT series title at this weekend at Subaru Cup in Wisconsin, the fifth and final round of USA Cycling National cross country series.</p><p>
</p><p>
Coming into the final round Monique held a small point’s advantage over Trek/Subaru’s Heather Irmiger and a battle was set to see who would walk away with the Pro women’s #1 plate for the year.</p><p>
</p><p>
After coming off a third place podium in last weekend’s Leadville 100, Mata was under a big work load but was up for the challenge.</p><p>
</p><p>
“I’ve been using the week after Leadville to recover and rest up the best I can. I know I will have a tough fight on my hands with Heather and the other girls.” explained Monique in the week leading up to the Pro XCT final.</p><p>
</p><p>
Saturday’s race would be a five lap affair on a technical and demanding 3.5 mile course. </p><p>
</p><p>
Coming in on lap one, Monique was riding a solid third place and was well ahead of main series rival Irmiger. </p><p>
</p><p>
Heading out onto lap three, Mata had moved into second place and was latched on to Crank Brother’s rider Judy Freeman’s wheel. Things were looking well at this point for the series title as well as a possible overall race win.</p><p>
</p><p>
However, over the next two laps Mata began to feel the wear and tear of the punchy, technical Wisconsin course as well as last week’s massive effort at the Leadville 100.</p><p>
</p><p>
Clearly in control of the series title with one lap to go, Monique backed it down a notch and was over taken by Scott rider Amanda Sin who was the races early leader. </p><p>
</p><p>
When the flag dropped, Mata was a solid third place and easily locked up her first Pro XCT cross country title</p><p>
</p><p>
“It’s been a fantastic year for me,” explained Mata after the race. “To win the Whiskey 50 twice, USA Cycling’s Pro UET title twice and now the Pro XCT, I really couldn’t have hoped for much more this year. I can’t thank Sho-Air and the team sponsors enough for all their support and getting me to where I have gotten.”</p><p>
</p><p>
Up next Mata looks to defend here 2011 US marathon title in Bend, Oregon on Sept 15th where she will face another stacked women’s pro field.</p>

More...