PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Hey Patrick the one I use is the Pantone Huey, abot 1/3 of that way down that page, and like I said it has worked quite well. The Dell monitors have great color accuracy once they are properly calibrated, the laptops are never going tp be very good, Dell, Apple, Gateway, Alienware the screens are all dim and have low contrast. Your best bet is to do as much editing as you can on your parents screen as it will have better color. Also if you have a shop that you go to for printing all the time, double check a printed peice against the color on your screen to make sure what you make is what they print.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Why do you want a calibrator?

And what are you calibrating it too?

If it's your eyes, just adjust the monitor until you're happy with the picture.

If you're attempting to sync it up with another piece of hardware, then you've still got YOUR eyes to deal with. For example, when I first started in graphic design, I output various photos and color bars to my main proofing device, then adjusted it manually since no calibrator can know how your eyes work. Then I stopped bothering and color corrected by the numbers.

But, uhh, what's your goal?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Well, photos have really low contrast on my computer. They are washed out. How can I adjust it manually?

edit: I found Adobe Gama in the control panel. I think that's it. I'm not sure what everything is though. I get stuff printed at costco. Could I download an ICC profile from costco and plug it in?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
LordOpie said:
Why do you want a calibrator?

And what are you calibrating it too?

If it's your eyes, just adjust the monitor until you're happy with the picture.

If you're attempting to sync it up with another piece of hardware, then you've still got YOUR eyes to deal with. For example, when I first started in graphic design, I output various photos and color bars to my main proofing device, then adjusted it manually since no calibrator can know how your eyes work. Then I stopped bothering and color corrected by the numbers.

But, uhh, what's your goal?

its not to your eyes, its to your printer. unless you are using non-destructive techniques for editing then it is usefull to have in order to keep your image quality.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
biggins said:
its not to your eyes, its to your printer. unless you are using non-destructive techniques for editing then it is usefull to have in order to keep your image quality.
how is it not your eyes? Everyone's eyes are their interpreter.

Sorry, maybe I'm old or something, but I don't buy into calibrating my monitor. The plate maker, certainly. The iGen and 6060 machines, yeah. The pressmen calibrate on every job.

I used to laugh when someone wanted me to calibrate photos for web work. There's millions of monitors out there and millions of eyes looking at 'em.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
LordOpie said:
how is it not your eyes? Everyone's eyes are their interpreter.

Sorry, maybe I'm old or something, but I don't buy into calibrating my monitor. The plate maker, certainly. The iGen and 6060 machines, yeah. The pressmen calibrate on every job.

I used to laugh when someone wanted me to calibrate photos for web work. There's millions of monitors out there and millions of eyes looking at 'em.
i have mine calibrated to my printer for when i print photos. if i adjuct everything and it looks right on my screen i want it to look the same when it prints. if i was just putting stuff on the web i wouldnt worry about but when i am printing an image for sale or gallry i want it to look the same as it does when it is on my screen.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I finally got it. It works really well. I like how you leave it plugged in when working on photos and stuff and it adjusts the monitor to the rooms light.

Thanks for the suggestion :thumb: