Quantcast

Monkey Meets

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
Meeting Spot: In the Subway / Supermarket Parking lot:
13424 Lincoln Way Auburn, CA 95603
Date: June 11th; 10:00 am

Riders:
ServeEm + 1 (1 Truck. 5 bikes ; 5 riders)
RaacerX
Droppinanorco
kevster (1 Truck. 4 bikes ; 2 riders)
morethanjake543 + 2 (1 truck. 5 bikes ; 4 riders) (1 car. no bikes ; 5 riders)
alentz
chicodude
ito
Heath Sherratt
byoung
Marcm + 1 (1 truck. 5 bikes ; 5 riders)
FREERDR4LF

Total: 16 people

Date:
Looks like we're settling on June 11th. Should we even consider reschedualing if the weather goes crazy? Auburn is still fun wet, but with so many people, we'd probably be doing little to improve the trails' condition.

Trails:
I think we'll probably end up hitting Tunnel/Culvert once or twice, fool around in the Mammoth OHV park for a while, and then end the day at the Auburn DJs.

Bring:
Water
Money (For food and tipping the guys who wasted gas on shuttle runs)
Water
Snacks
Water
Cameras
Spare Tubes
Tools

Auburn is pretty exposed, so it gets hot in the summer. I don't know how hot it'll be when we ride, but it's always good to be prepared. Also, we might not be able to get SUPER COOL action shots during the trail riding, but the DJs are a good spot for motion blur and any other type of artistic expression.

Remember that thread, a few days back, that volunteered a very muddy sunday for a group ride in Santa Cruz? Remember how, back in the day, people would actually organize group rides with complete strangers over the internet and experiance places they've never been before?

Yeah. That stuff was pretty happenin'. TotalHeckler put together an awesome meet a week ago, and I figure since summer is starting to roll around, we might as well try to organize more of these group rides.

We should probably get some suggestions as to where this will go down. Keep in mind that this thread is all about brainstorming, putting this thing together one part at a time, and eventually comming up with a place and a date that'll best suit all the people attending. Thusly, this probably won't happen this weekend, or next weekend, but you get the point.

I, for one, throw up Auburn. There are plenty of legal shuttle-able trails up there and it's definently within' driving distance for most of this sub-forum. The trails usually last from ten minutes to a full half hour, depending on which one you choose. Having so many trails, however, might make it difficult for this to be a "group ride" if people want to try this and that. I talked to a few cats while at the last group ride and found that they were interested.

I've heard of some good riding at a place called Perrot's Ferry. Personally, I've always wanted to check that place out. Anyone willing to show a group around that trail?

Anyone else interested?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
It would be cool if you got a little calendar of dates together. I would like to do some rides up there in the summer, but I need to know the dates ahead of time.

ghettogt76

Monkey
Dec 5, 2001
Pleasant Hill, Kali'fo'nya
Auburn would be THE perfect place for a monkey ride. No angry neighbors from shuttling, only rangers happily waving at you as you drive in/out. Sure, it is a little bit more of a drive for people in the SC area, but it's not all that long of a drive. Once my shoulder is back to 100 percent I would be willing to do a group ride fo'sho.

ghettogt76

Monkey
Dec 5, 2001
Pleasant Hill, Kali'fo'nya
Feels good after being in a sling for 3 days. I have pretty much all the range of movement back. I'm going to the orthopedic doc on tues so I will know what I need to do. I hope I won't need to be cut into! The only part that worries me is that it happened when I was just riding over bumps. If it happened in a crash I wouldn't be as worried about it. I think the joint or tissues or tendons surrounding it are pretty loose.

Anyway, if we can make it up sometime, I could give you a ride, kevster. It would save you from having to drive all the way to auburn.

DroppinaNorco

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Sac Town
im down for auburn too... especially since its really close to where i happen to live. im down for whenever since im now on break. lets get this goin.

Connundrum1

Monkey
Mar 11, 2005
Gold River, Sac Town, CA
basically morethanjake and the rest of our group rides every sunday somewhere, so we can put together some dedicated days to a certain place and meet. lets here some more interest and then we can set a date and get some possible shuttles in place.

Mar 10, 2005
Looks like Auburn is the pick for this meet.

As I said, I'm indifferent to dates. Sundays are the best for me and Connundrum. For everyone else who's down with a more specific schedual, throw out some dates.

I'm good for:
June 4th
June 11th
June 18th
June 25th.

Heath Sherratt: If you just want to ride, I'll probably be out there this thursday. I need to doublecheck my work schedual, but there is a good chance I'll be riding either thursday or wednesday. I'll check tomorrow and make sure.

Edit: I'm definently in for wednesday. I'll see if anything else works out. So far, thursday is a no-go.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
I'm in for Auburn also. Sundays are the best for me too, need atleast a weeks rest for my arm. So June 11th on I'm avail. Plus being at Auburn we could possibly end the day at the Jumps. I have a truck too that can fit prob 5 bike/riders

Mar 10, 2005
I was wondering about hitting those up. As long as we don't have too many people, that would be pretty awesome-tastic.

That truck will definently be usefull, so count on us using it once we get the date set. I have another friend I'll have to convince once we decide on a date.

I'm waivering over June 11th. Any objections? it's enough time to get a time-off request in if you work at a lowly retail place (like me) and it's not so far off that this will just fall apart due to lack of interest.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I dont know if I can make it to any meets anytime soon due to the fact that I need to save every penny I can for going to Whistler in 2 months.

kevster

Chimp
Apr 5, 2006
Sunday, June 11, Auburn....Are we getting a consensus here? That's sounding like a pretty good day.

Connundrum1

Monkey
Mar 11, 2005
Gold River, Sac Town, CA
i am in agreement, june 11th sounds good. i have a van we can use to shuttle though i'd rather not because you have to take the front wheels off to fit them in. but we have another friend with a truck that can fit 4 riders and atleast 4 or more bikes.

Mar 10, 2005
Total Heckler said:
I dont know if I can make it to any meets anytime soon due to the fact that I need to save every penny I can for going to Whistler in 2 months.
I'm in the exact same position. . . only I live within a throw's distance of auburn.

What dates are you hitting it up? I'll be there from august 11th through the nineteenth.

alentz

Chimp
May 9, 2006
Santa Monica
Hey guys, I recently got home from college and am ready to do some NorCal riding. June 11th sounds great for me. I've never ridden in Auburn, so I'd love to go there.

Mar 10, 2005
Here is a list of people I've got so far. It's a little vague, so tell me if I've left you out or you want to be put on:

Riders:
ServeEm
RaacerX
Droppinanorco
kevster
GhettoGT76 & TheMontashu (think you could make it, or is the shoulder holdin' you out still?)
morethanjake543 + 1
connundrum1
alentz

Shuttle Vehicles:
So we've got ServeEm's truck. How many does that hold?
Connundrum1's van. It holds four bikes + five people. It's an automatic.
I have a friend who has a truck that'll probably be down. That'll hold five bikes four people (plus maybe one in the bed?) It's a manual.

Date:
Looks like we're settling on June 11th. Should we even consider reschedualing if the weather goes crazy? Auburn is still fun wet, but with so many people, we'd probably be doing little to improve the trails' condition.

Trails:
I think we'll probably end up hitting Tunnel/Culvert once or twice, fool around in the Mammoth OHV park for a while, and then end the day at the Auburn DJs.

Bring:
Water
Money (We might stop mid-day for lunch at a fast food joint, depending on consensus.)
Water
Snacks
Water
Cameras
Spare Tubes
Tools

Auburn is pretty exposed, so it gets hot in the summer. I don't know how hot it'll be when we ride, but it's always good to be prepared. Also, we might not be able to get SUPER COOL action shots during the trail riding, but the DJs are a good spot for motion blur and any other type of artistic expression.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
I'm fo sho on June 11th plus one of my regular riding buddies. My truck holds 4riders 4 bikes. Also keep in mind for the out of towners there's a good amount of poison ivy so armor is your friend. There's a couple good shots like the gap on confluence trail.

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
North* Dher said:
Hey don't mean to spoil the party but Sundays are moto day and Saturdays are not.
N*Dher has a point there, I was out there last weekend and there were TOO many motos coming UP the trails @ mammoth bar to get a descent run in. Saturdays are best. my.02.

Montashew you can ride there all you want, just dont biotch when your sub whatever pound bike gets thrashed. hehe

Mar 10, 2005
I've never had much of a problem with that, but with a group this large, that could multiply any things that might arise.

I used to running mammoth OHV on sundays with a group of four riders. We'll take eastside, stonewall, the fireroads, and rocky and usually get very little moto traffic. Most of it is usually on the Fireroad (and we pass them). Not to mention, the rangers are usually pretty nice with us on sundays.

In any case, how do you people feel about this? I haven't had a problem, but that's not to say that there won't be one. If it gets bad, we've got a few other trails to shuttle, but it takes out a big chunk of the day. Should we move it back to the saturday before? Push it to the next saturday?

I know it'd be a pain in the butt for me to get that saturday off from work because it's so soon, but it can be done.

So give me a show of hands or something like that.

Andandand, keep on telling me if you've got any shuttleable vehicles you can bring.

Heath: That's cool. My cell is 916-628-0087. Give me a call when you show up, and I'll have whoever is in the shuttle car answer it and tell you where we are.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Scrub said:
N*Dher has a point there, I was out there last weekend and there were TOO many motos coming UP the trails @ mammoth bar to get a descent run in. Saturdays are best. my.02.

Montashew you can ride there all you want, just dont biotch when your sub whatever pound bike gets thrashed. hehe
I have ridden there on a sunday when the motos were out, it wasn't that bad, and if I cared aobut thrashing my bike I would have built it stronger.

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
TheMontashu said:
I have ridden there on a sunday when the motos were out, it wasn't that bad, QUOTE]

Well it sucks to drive a few hours from the bay area to have to deal with motos all day, I'd rather go a day earlier and not have to worry about them at all.

So if its a Sat. I could make myself avail.

Connundrum1

Monkey
Mar 11, 2005
Gold River, Sac Town, CA
i'm with Morethanjake on this, moto riders have never been a big deal for us. the trail etiquette is usually pretty good, they pull over if their going slower and uphill. if it becomes a problem we can move to different trials but the June 11th date should hold as it works for most people.

Anyone who wants to meet up later in the day call morethanjake at the above number (916-628-0087) if he doesn't pickup heres a backup:

Joey (me) 916-837-7769

p.s. scrub: if you're really against it i'll totally bring some bubble wrap for your bike.

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
Listen Connundum1 all i was saying is that if peeps are gonna drive from the bay area 2+/- hrs. why not make it worth it for them not to have to deal with the motos. You guys have fun just don't F it up for everone else who ride on non-moto days.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Come on, no shat flinging. All we need is...:love:

I'm really stuck with Sundays as the only day to ride at Auburn. Sat's are pretty impossible. The motos aren't that bad, you have to keep an eye out for them but hell that's the same as the trails with hikers. Sooo which day is the group proposing? My vote is for Sunday. Plus what's the meet time as well?