Quantcast

Monkey Plumbers

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I have a bathroom in the house, which has a shower, sink and toilet.

Yesterday I was cleaning the sink and running the water, when I noticed the drain in the shower was gurgling. And then water started coming up. Seemingly out of no where, there appears to be a clog somewhere down the line from this washroom.

All the other sinks, toilet, shower etc in the house still drain fine and also don't cause any more shit to come up or gurgle in that other room.

But as of right now, if I run the tap, the water level in the shower drain starts to go up. If I turn on the faucet in the shower, the water starts to rise. Haven't attempted to flush the toilet again. I used the toilet in the morning and it worked fine, or at least seemed to.

I ran a 20 foot auger down the shower drain and the water is still backed up. Did this twice and when I pulled the auger out, it was clean of debris. I find this strange, as I saw stuff down that hole yesterday evening.

I guess my next step is to remove the trap from the sink and try to run the snake down through there.

Looking for some ideas here, before having to call a plumber in.

Could the auger somehow have gone up a vent for this bathroom, which might explain why it came out clean?

Could a clogged or totally plugged vent create such a vacuum to prevent anything from draining?

It could be possible that the 20 foot auger is just a hair too short to reach the clog as well. Unfortunately this is a bungalow (ranch style home) and because we're a few hundred feet from the lake, there is no crawl space. So I can't see which way the drain runs or where the main line leaves the house. I suspect it's in the middle of the house though, where the other bathroom and laundry room are, which just so happens to be about ~20 feet away.

<insert shitters clogged meme here>

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I have a bathroom in the house, which has a shower, sink and toilet.

Yesterday I was cleaning the sink and running the water, when I noticed the drain in the shower was gurgling. And then water started coming up. Seemingly out of no where, there appears to be a clog somewhere down the line from this washroom.

All the other sinks, toilet, shower etc in the house still drain fine and also don't cause any more shit to come up or gurgle in that other room.

But as of right now, if I run the tap, the water level in the shower drain starts to go up. If I turn on the faucet in the shower, the water starts to rise. Haven't attempted to flush the toilet again. I used the toilet in the morning and it worked fine, or at least seemed to.

I ran a 20 foot auger down the shower drain and the water is still backed up. Did this twice and when I pulled the auger out, it was clean of debris. I find this strange, as I saw stuff down that hole yesterday evening.

I guess my next step is to remove the trap from the sink and try to run the snake down through there.

Looking for some ideas here, before having to call a plumber in.

Could the auger somehow have gone up a vent for this bathroom, which might explain why it came out clean?

Could a clogged or totally plugged vent create such a vacuum to prevent anything from draining?

It could be possible that the 20 foot auger is just a hair too short to reach the clog as well. Unfortunately this is a bungalow (ranch style home) and because we're a few hundred feet from the lake, there is no crawl space. So I can't see which way the drain runs or where the main line leaves the house. I suspect it's in the middle of the house though, where the other bathroom and laundry room are, which just so happens to be about ~20 feet away.

<insert shitters clogged meme here>

The auger can go up. IME you just need to do it several times, hopefully you'll gave more luck.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Fill the sink with water with the trap closed. Then pour get some water in the tub and try running the plunger over the drain in the tub. You can plunge those things sometimes and it works!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hair is usually what causes clogs in bathrooms. If the pipes are PVC I'd put some Draino down there. Fat causes problems with kitchens and large amounts of boiling water can melt it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

The auger can go up. IME you just need to do it several times, hopefully you'll gave more luck.
Ran it a third time down the shower drain and no luck :(

Tried the sink and got about 4-6 feet before there must be a gnarly turn or something, cant get past it. Auger tip still came out clean.

Fill the sink with water with the trap closed. Then pour get some water in the tub and try running the plunger over the drain in the tub. You can plunge those things sometimes and it works!
Hmm I'll try this. I did try the plunger on the toilet yesterday, but ummm, some undesirables appeared in the shower drain. But that doesn't happen now when I run the water now...

So maybe the clog is further down now?

Will try.

Closed trap you just mean connected and fill with water right?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Ran it a third time down the shower drain and no luck :(

Tried the sink and got about 4-6 feet before there must be a gnarly turn or something, cant get past it. Auger tip still came out clean.

Hmm I'll try this. I did try the plunger on the toilet yesterday, but ummm, some undesirables appeared in the shower drain. But that doesn't happen now when I run the water now...

So maybe the clog is further down now?

Will try.

Closed trap you just mean connected and fill with water right?
Yeah close the sink drain plug and fill the sink with water so that the plunger pressure is forced down the drain and not into the sink.

It's worked for me in the past but not always.

Pneuma

Chimp
Nov 5, 2021
Run an auger down the vent, you might need to rent a bigger one and do it from the roof.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
No luck with the plunger, though the tiled floor doesn't help with getting a good seal and the plunger I have doesn't fit its neck down into the drain perfectly.

Run an auger down the vent, you might need to rent a bigger one and do it from the roof.
Yeah it's looking like we might have to call someone in, though we rent the place so the landlord might arrange that in the end (or cover it).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Aren't you in a rental? Landlord should be handling that shit, man...
When was the last time you dealt with a landlord?

The last place I rented I un-fixed a good half dozen serious issues when I moved out that I had to take care of myself after they did fuck-all after reporting it.

My favorite was the garage door that was broken before I moved in that they wanted me to pay for half of a $1000 repair quote. I fixed it with $5.00 of parts and 30 minutes of labor.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Has anyone bought those hard chemicals that you pour down a clogged drain and let the chemistry do the rest? Success? Seems like a last ditch effort to avoid a plumber bill.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Has anyone bought those hard chemicals that you pour down a clogged drain and let the chemistry do the rest? Success? Seems like a last ditch effort to avoid a plumber bill.
Yes, Drano. Mentioned earlier that it is particularly effective with hair clogs. Basically just lye. It will eat through any aluminum pipes that are somewhat common on sink traps but is fine with PVC.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
When was the last time you dealt with a landlord?

The last place I rented I un-fixed a good half dozen serious issues when I moved out that I had to take care of myself after they did fuck-all after reporting it.

My favorite was the garage door that was broken before I moved in that they wanted me to pay for half of a $1000 repair quote. I fixed it with $5.00 of parts and 30 minutes of labor.
I get what you're saying - but that's a bunch of bullshit. You pay rent so presumably you don't have to deal with that shit.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yes, Drano. Mentioned earlier that it is particularly effective with hair clogs. Basically just lye. It will eat through any aluminum pipes that are somewhat common on sink traps but is fine with PVC.
Yeah Drano works well for the bathtub, where the girlfriends hair ends up. But we try to not use it much or if at all.

Did try drano on this clog, but no luck. I'm guessing the clog is something it isn't eating away at too well or perhaps there is too much water sitting there, diluting it?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I get what you're saying - but that's a bunch of bullshit. You pay rent so presumably you don't have to deal with that shit.
If we end up calling and it turns out to be a vent or actual plumbing issue (like lets say the slope on the drain pipe isn't adequate), we're going to tell the landlord to deal with it.

Its also a tricky subject, as we are on good terms with the landlord. And by that, I mean we never really have to call him and he never comes and checks anything. He also has only raised the cost of rent once, since we moved in at the start of 2020.