Quantcast

Monkeyfest v.2015

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Greetings Monkeys! It's that time of year again...the time when we begin plotting the summer poo-flinging excursion. Here's the deal....

Dates: July 16-20, 2015 (Thursday - Sunday and if there's enough interest we could stay until Monday).
Activities: Beer, Bacon, Bikes....do I really need to add more?
Cost: TBD (generally about $100 per monkey for the duration; this includes lodging and food for the trip but could decrease based on the number coming, etc.)

I'm working on housing that is within riding distance to trails and can finalize plans once I have a tentative headcount. Whiteface is right in town too for those DH minded, awesome new and old singletrack and even flume jumping!

So, who's in?

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
July 16th-20th? I'll be out of town that weekend. I guess I can't make it this year. :(

Why not the last weekend in July like usual? (23rd-26th)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
maybe? i've been wanting to get to one for years. i like lake placid, not quite as far as NH area. but that might be a stretch with wife and new baby

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Unless it's your own that's not a good excuse. Even if it's your own it's still kinda weak. :stosh:
If it was not one of my best mountain biking buddies, I would skip it. But, we're talking about the guy who helped me scrape my 7 year old off the fairway after tossing himself out of his own golf cart at my wedding, the guy who has accompanied me on nearly every mtb road trip in the last 5 years, and etc etc.

He did however suggest he wouldn't be upset if I skipped his wedding to go race at Windham that weekend.

But, in the end, I will attend said wedding like a champ.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I might day trip this! Wilmington, aside from Whiteface, has been having some awesome trail development happening. They also have a jump line/pump track in a local park.

EDIT: if all goes well, may bring the kid - 1st mtn bike & shuttle runs on the 'Face!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Greetings Monkeys! It's that time of year again...the time when we begin plotting the summer poo-flinging excursion. Here's the deal....

Dates: July 16-20, 2015 (Thursday - Sunday and if there's enough interest we could stay until Monday).
Activities: Beer, Bacon, Bikes....do I really need to add more?
Cost: TBD (generally about $100 per monkey for the duration; this includes lodging and food for the trip but could decrease based on the number coming, etc.)

I'm working on housing that is within riding distance to trails and can finalize plans once I have a tentative headcount. Whiteface is right in town too for those DH minded, awesome new and old singletrack and even flume jumping!

So, who's in?
North Pole Campground Beach Rd campsite. Rooms for the timid, a decent pool. Swimming in the Ausable River. The site can afford a party tent. Cool place for adults.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
meh. no kingdom trails = minimal interest. I like riding at whiteface, but no longer have a DH bike.

Previous monkeyfests have been some of my favorite vacations of all time (OF ALL TIME)....what's with relocating them around and around? I don't want to take a risk on potentially less than awesome trails that require a drive to get to on what is relatively precious time off. I was just talking with Woody last night and he agrees, he's pretty much completely lost interest since it was moved from KT.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
meh. no kingdom trails = minimal interest. I like riding at whiteface, but no longer have a DH bike.

Previous monkeyfests have been some of my favorite vacations of all time (OF ALL TIME)....what's with relocating them around and around? I don't want to take a risk on potentially less than awesome trails that require a drive to get to on what is relatively precious time off. I was just talking with Woody last night and he agrees, he's pretty much completely lost interest since it was moved from KT.
translation: "I like doing the same thing over and over again. i'm scared of change. don't take me out of my comfort zone."

As I understand it there are ride out the door XC trails at Lake Placid and on the mountain. Last year's Monkeyfest was summat of a cluster fuck because we took forever to decide where to go, get moving, and assemble at the destination.

Note that none of this is magic or based on special privileges. If you want to do the work to set up and administer a gathering, go right ahead and do so.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
exactly, and at someplace as broad as KT, you can ride out the door, and if jonkranked is busy debating whether his brand new minions are worn out and he needs to swap for wet weather tires, he can do that while everybody else goes riding. It's been great.

I won't argue, I'll just go to nembafest. I've said my piece.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
while KT has been the place to go for quite some time, and as i do like it there i'm not against trying new places. didn't get to go last year and it seems i missed a rather interesting time so hopefully this year is better. my only gripe is the extra 2 hrs of drive time but so be it. lets hope its full of awesomeness and less of suckness

D.2

Monkey
Jun 17, 2010
Medway, MA
I'm sure Mama Monkey will show us a damn good time. I'm in. I'm up for a SECOND trip to KT if anyone wants to do that. There's a great campground right near KT with cabins and awesome tent sites - way better than the campground on the mountain. I also found some great cabins just down the road (Hawk Rock) if we want to go a little more upscale, but I do love that campground.

D.2

Monkey
Jun 17, 2010
Medway, MA
exactly, and at someplace as broad as KT, you can ride out the door, and if jonkranked is busy debating whether his brand new minions are worn out and he needs to swap for wet weather tires, he can do that while everybody else goes riding. It's been great.

I won't argue, I'll just go to nembafest. I've said my piece.
Hmm, I have B2VT the weekend before Nembafest. I wonder if my wife would divorce me if I went to both?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
I'm sure Mama Monkey will show us a damn good time. I'm in. I'm up for a SECOND trip to KT if anyone wants to do that. There's a great campground right near KT with cabins and awesome tent sites - way better than the campground on the mountain. I also found some great cabins just down the road (Hawk Rock) if we want to go a little more upscale, but I do love that campground.
Awe....thanks!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
KT was our home for 10 years, but there are SO many other amazing trails in the Northeast that it's hard not to scout out new locations, especially with so many of you monkeys. As much as I like KT, the trails are packed, worn and I personally am up for a new adventure. Sorry...

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
KT was our home for 10 years, but there are SO many other amazing trails in the Northeast that it's hard not to scout out new locations, especially with so many of you monkeys. As much as I like KT, the trails are packed, worn and I personally am up for a new adventure. Sorry...

nothing to be sorry about. you're right. we live in a region that has some great areas to ride in. nothing wrong with trying something different. i've enjoyed KT the few times i've been there for MF. the trails are only half of the equation, it's the people who go that make it more enjoyable. only downside is we won't have Constable Funpants to bother us.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
During the first Monkey Fest of which I attended, I cooked Italian sausages onions peppers and cheese. I brought a bottle of boss sauce. About 10lbs of Rubinos ot Italian sausage and several bags of martichello rolls were devoured. This and a bottle of Knob Creek that led to the first drunken night ride. Does this tradition continue?

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
During the first Monkey Fest of which I attended, I cooked Italian sausages onions peppers and cheese. I brought a bottle of boss sauce. About 10lbs of Rubinos ot Italian sausage and several bags of martichello rolls were devoured. This and a bottle of Knob Creek that led to the first drunken night ride. Does this tradition continue?
You also brought a trunk full of tools. It was epic.... ;)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Unfortunately, the dates are set. (Ironman is the following weekend so NO lodging anywhere near Wilmington).
I need to firm up lodging ASAP so here is what I have thus far:
Sq-Earl & T
JBP
Tammy
BadDNA + MudGirl
cromby1
D.2 +2?
Woody
QuoFan + Big T (?)
JonKranked (?)
Splat (?)
Any other takers? I have 3 houses that I am looking at. The closest one to the trails is more expensive, but there are 2 other options that are similar in price to prior years.

Last edited:

D.2

Monkey
Jun 17, 2010
Medway, MA
I have a few friends that are considering the trip but they haven't committed yet. Five people. Maybe call it a +2 to stay on the conservative side?