Quantcast

Monkey's whats a good scotch?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Never really been a Scotch drinker. I figure tonights as good a night as any to start, so whats a good one in the 40-50 dollar range? Or maybe I'll just pick up another bottle of Stranahans.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
^

supposed to be good....stranahans

buffalo trace....

bulleit....

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
x2 for Laphroaig. It should fit in your price range. But you may want to sample it first, it's kinda love or hate it. It's very peaty and iodine-y. It's my favourite scotch in the up to $150 dollar range. Lagavulin is a close second, but may be more than what you want to pay depending on where you are. enjoy.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i want to find a bottle of this.....

144 proof

Holy sweet mother Mary of Jesus! This bourbon actually scared me when I drank it. The thing is like a small tactical nuke in your mouth. Imagine every bourbon flavor you've ever tasted--then cubed--along with a small hit of LSD and you can sort of imagine what's going on in your mouth. This thing is most definitely NOT for the cowardly; only professionals here.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Refer to my "scotchy scotch scotch" thread in the beer and food forum

But you can't go wrong wrong eith any of them that start with "glen"
Glenfiddich glen morangie (my fave) glenlivet, which I find a little to "light" but it's still good.

Balvenie, macallan also very nice

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
stagg is released in one batch in the fall....you might have better luck finding a unicorn.

even in the south it is a pain in the ass to find.

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
Scotch is only from Scotland. Whiskey is the american version.

The Macallan, all else is just a compromise.
damn man, try again...anything younger than the original 18 year (including the 18 year fine oak) is mediocre.

before jumping into the scotch world, know that scotch is not meant to be smooth (easily); it's meant to be unique, complex and intricate. irish whiskey and bourbon tend to be smoother and more accessible, cheaply.

i'd say given 50ish bucks, look for:
glenmorangie 10 year - some of the finishes (i.e. portwood, sherry wood, etc) are quite nice and interesting; a little sweeter and an easily accessible scotch
oban 14 year - generally a little pricier, but very subtle and easy to drink
glenrothes - they have a cheaper bottling that's not bad, but if you can find a 1991 or 1987 release is fantastic (usually about 75 or 80 though)
laphroig 10 or 15 year - both are awesome, but not for the timid. a lot of peat, earth with some serious smoke. on the plus side, not too expensive
lagavulin 16 year - the standard for islay malts; warm, smokey, with lots of iodine and earth! one of my favorites, but generally north of 70 bucks. if you're feeling frivolous, look for a distiller's edition from 1990 to 1991; one of the best whiskeys i've ever had.
highland park 12, 15 and 18 years - all good, getting smoother and less aggressive with age. i think the 18 can be had for 70 to 75...very worth it.
ardbeg 10 year - very nice, smokey and peaty again. not too pricey either! a little sweeter than the other islays...

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Stranahan's, eh? Haven't heard of that til now. Just looked it up and coincidentially they have some history with Flying Dog and I am drinking a Flying Dog porter right now.

Not much of a scotch drinker, but I love me some bourbon.